The Google Drive client (now Backup and Sync from Google) if a useful tool, but many users reported Something went wrong, Backup and Sync needs to quit error message. This can be a big problem, and today we’re going to show you how to tackle this issue once and for all.
How can I fix Sorry Backup and Sync needs to quit error message?
- Quit Backup and Sync
- Update Google Drive client
- Disconnect and reconnect your Google Account
- Reinstall Backup and Sync from Google
- Check OneDrive Settings
- Rename Google Drive Folder
1. Quit Backup and Sync
The error message Something went wrong, Backup and Sync needs to quit indicates that by closing the Backup and Sync software, you might be able to fix this problem.
- Click on the Drive icon.
- Click on Settings (three dots).
- Select Quit Backup and Sync option.
- Reboot your system.
- Click on Start and launch Backup and Sync from Google.
Check for any improvements.
2. Update Google Drive client
When Something went wrong, Backup and Sync needs to quit error was first reported, Google acknowledged the existence and said to have released a working solution through an OTA update for the Google Drive. So, if you are facing a similar error, try to update the Google Drive client with a newer version.
Backup and Sync from Google notifies the user whenever a new version of the software is available for download, and it will download and install the updates automatically.
However, at times it may fail to update automatically. You can check if you have the latest version of the software installed from the About section.
- Click on Backup and Sync from the Taskbar.
- Click on Settings (three dots) and select About.
- You can see the current version of Google Drive in the About page.
- Open any web browser and go to Google Drive Download page.
- Check for the recent release and download the latest version if available.
3. Disconnect and reconnect your Google Account
Something went wrong, Backup and Sync needs to quit error can appear if you have issues with your Google account. To resolve this, you can try to disconnect and reconnect Google account in the Google Drive client.
- Open Backup and Sync.
- Click on Settings (three dots) and select Preferences.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Click on Disconnect Account and select Disconnect to confirm.
- Close and Re-open Backup and Sync window.
- Click on Sign in and enter Google account details.
4. Reinstall Backup and Sync from Google
Another effective but not ideal solution to fix Something went wrong, Backup and Sync needs to quit error is to reinstall Backup and Sync from Google.
- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall.
- Select Backup and Sync from Google and select Uninstall.
- Go to Google Drive Download page and download the installer.
- It is an online installer, so you’ll need an active Internet connection to complete the installation.
- Reboot your System and check for any improvements.
If you want to ensure that Backup and Sync is completely removed from your PC, including all of its files and registry entries, we advise you to use uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller to remove it. Once you remove the application with Revo Uninstaller, install it again and check if the problem is still there.
– Get Revo Uninstaller Pro version
5. Check OneDrive Settings
If you have both Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive clients installed on your PC, check OneDrive settings as it may create conflict with other cloud storage clients.
- Open OneDrive.
- Click on More (three dots) and select Settings.
- Under Files On-Demand section uncheck Save space and download files as you use them option.
- Close OneDrive.
- Open Backup and Sync from Google.
- Click Settings > Preferences and Account Settings.
- Disconnect your Google Account and then sign in.
6. Rename Google Drive Folder
Renaming the Google Drive folder in the AppData folder has helped many users get rid of Something went wrong, Backup and Sync needs to quit error. Here is how to do it.
- Open File Explorer and go to %UserProfile%AppDataLocalGoogle .
- Under the Google folder, you should see a Drive folder. If there are multiple Drive folder, simply rename one of the Drive folders as Drive.OLD.
Reboot the system and check for any improvements.
Something went wrong, Backup and Sync needs to quit error, can be a major inconvenience, but it can be fixed by following the solutions listed in this article.
Do let us know which solution worked for you in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- How to use your PC as cloud storage
- Best Windows 10 file sync software
- 6 tools to recover files deleted from Recycle Bin on Windows 10