- Windows 10 is a feature-rich operating system, with an intuitive UI designed with productivity in mind.
- As its name suggests, the Start Menu is a Windows 10 feature that acts as a door, offering users quick access to the programs installed on their devices.
- If your Start Menu keeps on flashing, scrolling by itself, won't do anything when you click on it, and more, then this guide is what you need. We'll show you how you can quickly fix common Start Menu bugs.
- Visit our page dedicated to the Start Menu to learn how you can optimize your settings on Windows 10.
2. How to fix specific Start Menu issues
Please follow the instructions listed in this section of the guide first. Then, if the issue persists, you can use the general solutions listed on the first page. Let’s dive in.
2.1. Can’t click on Start Menu in Windows 10
If your left or right-click won’t work on the Start Menu, here are 4 solutions to fix this problem:
- Run an SFC (System File Checker) scan
- Run the Hardware and Sound Troubleshooter
- Create a new user account
- Run the Microsoft Start Menu troubleshooter
2.2. Windows 10 Start Menu is full screen
The quickest way to fix that annoying Start Menu full screen issue is to use the correct settings.
- Open the Settings app
- Go to Personalization
- In the left sidebar, click on Start
- Locate the option Use Start full screen. and turn off the toggle.
- Restart your computer.
2.3. Windows 10 Start Menu is black
1. Restart Windows Explorer
- Close your Windows Explorer window if it’s active
- Right-click on your taskbar, click on Task Manager
- Go to the Processes and locate the Windows Explorer process
- Right-click on Windows Explorer and click Restart.
Running outdated graphics driver versions could explain why your Start Menu is black. Check out our dedicated guide to learn how you can update outdated drivers.
2. Update your graphics driver
2.4. Windows 10 Start Menu is locked
IT admins can lock down sections of the Start Menu so that users cannot add or remove tiles. Your admin is the only person who can change the Group Policy settings so as to unlock the Start Menu.
If this issue affects your personal computer, use the general troubleshooting solutions listed in the first part of this guide.
2.5. Windows 10 Start Menu is small
If your Start Menu is too small, you can fix that by simply resizing it. To do this:
- Click on the Start Menu
Move your mouse cursor to the edge of the Start Menu.
- Stop when the cursor turns into a double-sided arrow
- Press and hold the left mouse button and and drag your cursot up or down to resize the Start Menu.
2.6. Windows 10 Start Menu just flashes
If the Start Menu keeps on flickering, one of these 3 solutions will help you fix it:
- Uninstall incompatible apps and programs, especially if you noticed the problem occurred after you install a particular program
- Install the latest display drivers
- End the Windows Shell Experience Service from the Task Manager.
2.7. Windows 10 Start Menu keeps scrolling
If the Start Menu keeps on scrolling up or down, most likely this issue is triggered by your mouse settings. To fix it:
- Go to Settings >Devices > Mouse > turn off the toggle for the option Scroll inactive windows when I Hover over them and restart your computer.
- Update or roll back your mouse driver
- Uninstall your mouse driver, disconnect the device and then plug it back in.
2.8. Windows 10 Start Menu keeps opening and closing
To solve this problem, do the following:
- Re-register the Start Menu with PowerShell (see solution 4 from the first part of the article)
- Run SFC scan
- Remove recently installed updates and programs
- Scan your computer for malware
With that, we finished our list. Don’t forget that Microsoft fixes general OS bugs, including Start Menu issues with swift patches on Patch Tuesday. So, be sure to install the latest updates.
In addition, feel free to tell us what do you think about the Windows 10 Start Menu. The comments section is below!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2017 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.