- The Printer attention required error might be caused by a software issue, like broken drivers.
- When the error occurs in Windows 10, make sure the drivers are up to date and the printer is properly installed.
- For Epson as well as other printers, the ink level may lead to this issue.
Some Windows users have encountered The printer requires your attention error when printing in Windows 10. The error dialog window states:
Printer requires your attention. Go to desktop to take care of it.
Sometimes you might be able to go to the desktop and follow guidelines within a dialog box. However, opening the desktop doesn’t always provide an indication of what the issue is and how to fix it.
If you are also troubled by this issue, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the printer attention error in Windows 10.
Why is my printer status attention required?
When you notice the message that reads The printer requires your attention, the first thing you should do is perform a hardware check. In most cases, this indicates that a panel is open, paper is missing or jammed, or some other problem of a similar nature.
Check to see whether the printer is displaying any warnings or lights on its own to signal that there is a problem.
Another cause is an issue with the ink cartridges. In this case, the printer will frequently display the error message The printer requires your attention.
When it comes to printing from a desktop, the technology behind printers has not advanced too much in recent years. In spite of the fact that a printer is prone to a wide variety of issues, the majority of those issues may be resolved by uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer.
Here are some common problems that users reported along with The printer requires your attention:
- Epson printer attention required – This issue can affect almost any printer brand, and most of our solutions are universal, so they will work with almost any printer brand.
- User intervention required printer Windows 10 – This message is common on Windows 10, and if you encounter it, be sure that your drivers are up to date.
- Attention required printer Lexmark – This issue can appear with Lexmark printers, and if you encounter this problem, you might want to try reinstalling your printer.
- Printer needs user intervention – Another way to fix this problem is to check the ink levels on your printer. If the ink levels are low, be sure to replace the cartridges and check if that solves the problem.
- HP printer attention required – This problem can occur with virtually any printer brand, however, the majority of our solutions are universal, which means they will function properly with virtually any printer brand.
- Printer attention required in Windows 10 – It’s possible that the printer demands your attention issue is brought on by a lack of ink.
- Brother printer attention required – It has been suggested by users that you uninstall your printer and then reinstall it in order to resolve this issue.
- HP DeskJet attention required – You will need to restart the service if you are using an HP printer and see the warning attention required.
- Ricoh printer attention required – The Ricoh printer is no exception from this error. Follow the solutions below to fix it.
- Printer attention required in Windows 11 – The following solutions are also applicable in Windows 11.
Without further ado, let’s see how you can fix The printer requires your attentions error message and go back to printing your papers. Follow along!
What do I do when my printer says attention is required?
1. Print website pages with an alternative browser
Some have found that The printer requires your attention error only occurs when printing with a specific browser.
So if you’re getting the error when printing website pages with a browser, open and print the pages in alternative browsers instead.
In addition to Firefox, Google Chrome, and IE, another browser solution is often forgotten with which you can print pages without any error: Opera offers comfort functions like no other program.
To further improve your printing experience in Opera, you can also install a dedicated Print addon that offers you additional printing options, and you can print webpages with only one click.
If you don’t want to install any addons, you can simply set a custom keyboard shortcut to print without preview.
Apart from that, Opera offers all the basic functions of a modern browser and enhances them with useful extras.
Opera is a great web browser that helps you to save and print your favorite web pages with only one click.
2. Update drivers
Sometimes the driver can be outdated leading to this and many other issues. However, you can fix the problem simply by updating your drivers.
There are several ways to do that, but the best method is to visit your printer manufacturer’s website and download the driver for your printer model.
Although this is the best method, some users might want to use a more straightforward solution.
If you want to update automatically drivers, you might want to use a third-party tool such as DriverFix. This tool is simple to use, and you should be able to update your drivers with just a single click.
In order to keep your PC including hardware components safe and efficient, the latest drivers should always be installed, like printer drivers.
DriverFix was developed so that you do not have to worry about manually downloading and installing your drivers yourself.
The program scans your hardware, such as the printer drivers, and offers to update them. To refresh all drivers it only takes a few clicks and the tool does the rest automatically.
3. Run the troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app and navigate to Update & Security.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the menu.
- Select Printer and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooter.
The Windows 10 Troubleshooter is a built-in tool that can help you to troubleshoot various software or hardware issues with your computer.
4. Disable protected mode in Internet Explorer
- Press Windows the search for Internet Options and click the top most result.
- Go to Security, then deselect Enable Protected Mode and click OK.
Protected Mode is a feature that protects your computer from malicious software. But, sometimes it can interfere in the wrong way with the printer software.
5. Install the latest updates
- Open the Settings app by pressing the Windows + I keys and go to the Update & Security section.
- Click the Check for updates button then restart your computer once the process is completed.
Windows 10 updates can bring new features to your system or solve numerous bugs or security leaches. That is why it is important to have your OS up to date.
6. Restart the Print Spooler service
- Press Windows + R then type services.msc. and click OK.
- Locate the Print Spooler service, right-click it and choose Restart.
This service spools print jobs and handle interaction with the printer. Sometimes it does not work correctly anymore and you have to restart it.
7. Assign a static IP address to your printer
According to users, The printer requires your attention message can appear if you’re using a network printer. To fix this problem, users are suggesting deleting your printer and installing it again.
In addition to reinstalling your printer, be sure to assign a static IP address to it. Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
If you need help in assigning a static IP address we got you covered with some simple steps.
8. Check the ink levels
In several instances, users reported that The printer requires your attention was caused by a low ink level.
If you suspect that your ink levels are the problem, be sure to remove the ink cartridges and shake them a bit.
After doing that, the issue should be at least temporarily resolved. If you want a permanent solution, you might want to replace your cartridges.
9. Make sure that your printer is properly installed
Sometimes The printer requires your attention message can appear if the printer isn’t properly installed.
To make sure that everything is working properly, be sure to reinstall your printer properly and follow every step.
Even if you use a wireless printer, be sure to follow the most basic steps such as connecting the printer to your PC if required. Sometimes the minor steps can make a difference, so be sure to follow them all.
If you can’t reinstall the printer to your PC follow our useful steps.
We have listed all the possible solutions to help you to resolve this printer error in Windows.
Follow each of these steps, and let us know which one worked best for you by leaving a message in the comments section below.