- Windows 10 is a solid operating system, and many browsers have now implemented the ability to save and print web pages that you visit.
- There are specific errors that prevent you from printing a document, your favorite image or a useful page.
- Explore our Windows 10 Hub and make sure to bookmark it for further reference.
- Take a look at our Fix section to find complete guides from our tech experts.
Some Windows users have encountered The printer requires your attention error when printing in Windows 10. The error dialog window states:
Printer requires your attention. Go to desktop to take care of it.
Sometimes you might be able to go to the desktop and follow some guidelines within a dialog box. However, opening the desktop doesn’t always provide any indication of what the issue is and how to fix it.
If you are also troubled by this issue, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the printer attention error in Windows 10.
How can I fix The printer requires your attention error?
Here are some common problems that users reported:
- Canon, Brother, Epson printer attention required – This issue can affect almost any printer brand, and most of our solutions are universal, so they will work with almost any printer brand.
- User intervention required printer Windows 10 – This message is common on Windows 10, and if you encounter it, be sure that your drivers are up to date.
- Attention required printer Lexmark – This issue can appear with Lexmark printers, and if you encounter this problem, you might want to try reinstalling your printer.
- Printer needs user intervention – Another way to fix this problem is to check the ink levels on your printer. If the ink levels are low, be sure to replace the cartridges and check if that solves the problem.
1. Update drivers
Sometimes the driver can be outdated leading to this and many other issues. However, you can fix the problem simply by updating your drivers.
There are several ways to that, but the best method is to visit your printer manufacturer’s website and download the driver for your printer model.
Although this is the best method, some users might want to use a more straightforward solution.
If you want to update automatically drivers on your PC, you might want to use a third-party tool such as DriverFix. This tool is incredibly simple to use, and you should be able to update your drivers with just a single click.
In order to keep your PC including hardware components safe and efficient, the latest drivers should always be installed, like printer drivers.
DriverFix was developed so that you do not have to worry about manually downloading and installing your drivers yourself.
The program scans your hardware, as the printer drivers, and offers to update them. To refresh all drivers it only takes a few clicks and the tool does the rest automatically.
DriverFixDownload now DriverFix to automatically update your printer drivers with ease!
2. Print website pages with an alternative browser
Some have found that The printer requires your attention error only occurs when printing with a specific browser.
So if you’re getting the error when printing website pages with a browser, open and print the pages in alternative browsers instead.
In addition to Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, another browser solution is often forgotten with which you can print pages without any error: Opera offers comfort functions like no other program.
To further improve your printing experience in Opera, you can also install a dedicated Print addon that offers you additional printing options, and you can print webpages with only one click.
If you don’t want to install any addons, you can simply set a custom keyboard shortcut to print without preview.
Apart from that, Opera offers all basic functions of a modern browser and enhances them with useful extras.
OperaOpera is a great web browser that helps you to save and print your favorite web pages with only one click.
3. Run the troubleshooter
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Update & Security.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the menu.
- Select Printer and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooter.
4. Disable protected mode in Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools and select Internet options.
- Go to Security, and deselect Enable Protected Mode.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
- Close IE, right-click the browser icon and select Run as administrator.
5. Install the latest updates
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to the Update & Security section.
- Click Check for updates.
- Restart your PC.
6. Restart the Print Spooler service
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Type services.msc. and click OK.
- Locate the Print Spooler service.
- Choose Restart from the menu.
7. Assign a static IP address to your printer
According to users, The printer requires your attention message can appear if you’re using a network printer. To fix this problem, users are suggesting to delete your printer and install it again.
In addition to reinstalling your printer, be sure to assign a static IP address to it. Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
8. Check the ink levels
In several instances users reported that The printer requires your attention was caused by low ink level.
If you suspect that your ink levels are the problem, be sure to remove the ink cartridges and shake them a bit.
After doing that, the issue should be at least temporarily resolved. If you want a permanent solution, you might want to replace your cartridges.
9. Make sure that your printer is properly installed
Sometimes The printer requires your attention message can appear if the printer isn’t properly installed.
To make sure that everything is working properly, be sure to reinstall your printer properly and follow every step.
Even if you use a wireless printer, be sure to follow the most basic steps such as connecting the printer to your PC when required. Sometimes the minor steps can make a difference, so be sure to follow them all.
We have listed all the possible solutions to help you to resolve this printer error in Windows.
Follow each of these steps, and let us know which one worked best for you by leaving a message in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in July 2017 and was revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.