Fix: “The printer requires your attention” error
Some Windows users have encountered “The printer requires your attention” error when printing in Windows. The error dialog window states: “Printer requires your attention. Go to desktop to take care of it.” That usually has something to do with a setting that requires attention, or you might need to enter a user name before printing a document, image or page.
Sometimes you might be able to go to the desktop and follow some guidelines within a dialog box. However, opening the desktop doesn’t always provide any indication of what the issue is and how to fix it. It doesn’t always block printing, but some will no doubt wonder how to resolve the error. So how can this printer error be fixed?
How to fix The printer requires your attention message?
The printer requires your attention message can prevent you from printing, and speaking of printer issues, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Canon, Brother, Epson printer attention required – This issue can affect almost any printer brand, and most of our solutions are universal, so they will work with almost any printer brand.
- User intervention required printer Windows 10 – This message is common on Windows 10, and if you encounter it, be sure that your drivers are up to date.
- Attention required printer Lexmark – This issue can appear with Lexmark printers, and if you encounter this problem, you might want to try reinstalling your printer.
- Printer needs user intervention – Another way to fix this problem is to check the ink levels on your printer. If the ink levels are low, be sure to replace the cartridges and check if that solves the problem.
Solution 1 – Run the troubleshooter
If you keep getting The printer requires your attention message, you might be able to fix the problem simply by running a built-in troubleshooter. Windows has various troubleshooters available, and you can use them to fix all sorts of issues.
To run a troubleshooter, you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Update & Security section.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the menu. Select Printer from the list of troubleshooters and click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Once the troubleshooter is finished, check if the problem with the printer is still there.
- There’s also a more update Printer troubleshooter more specifically designed to fix Windows 10 printing errors. Press the Run troubleshooter button on this website page to save the Print troubleshooter to Windows.
- Now click Printerdiagnostic10 to open the new troubleshooter. It works much the same as the built-in troubleshooter, but you should also select Printer listed on its window before pressing Next.
Solution 2 – Print Website Pages With an Alternative Browser
Some have found that The printer requires your attention error only occurs when printing with a specific browser. So if you’re getting the error when printing website pages with a browser, open and print the pages in alternative browsers instead. For example, Google Chrome users might find that they can print pages in IE, Edge or Firefox without any error.
Solution 3 – Disable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer
- This is a potential fix more specifically for Internet Explorer. First, open Internet Explorer in Windows.
- Click Tools and select Internet options from the menu to open the window below.
- Select the Security tab, and deselect Enable Protected Mode if it’s selected.
- Now Press the Apply and OK buttons.
- Close IE, right-click the browser icon and select Run as administrator.
Solution 4 – Update Drivers
Another cause for The printer requires your attention message can be your printer driver. Sometimes the driver can be outdated leading to this and many other issues. However, you can fix the problem simply by updating your drivers.
There are several ways to that, but the best method is to visit your printer manufacturer’s website and download the driver for your printer model. Although this is the best method, some users might want to use a more straightforward solution.
If you want to update automatically drivers on your PC, you might want to use a third-party tool such as TweakBit Driver Updater (approved by Norton and Microsoft). This tool is incredibly simple to use, and you should be able to update your drivers with just a single click.
Once you update your printer driver, the issue should be completely resolved.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Can’t print from Edge in Windows 10
Solution 5 – Install the latest updates
Another cause for The printer requires your attention message can be missing Windows updates. Windows 10 is a solid operating system, but sometimes certain bugs can occur. The best way to fix these bugs is to keep your system up to date.
Windows 10 installs the missing updates automatically, but sometimes you might miss an update due to certain glitches. However, you can check for updates manually by doing the following:
If any updates are available, they will be downloaded in the background and installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your PC restarts, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 6 – Restart the Print Spooler service
In order to print documents, services such as Print Spooler need to be running properly. If there’s any problem with this service, it’s possible that The printer requires your attention message occurs. To fix this problem, you need to reset this service by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate the Print Spooler service.
- Now choose Restart from the menu.
Wait for a few moments while the service restarts. Once the service restarts, check if the printing problem is still there.
Solution 7 – Assign a static IP address to your printer
According to users, The printer requires your attention message can appear if you’re using a network printer. To fix this problem, users are suggesting to delete your printer and install it again. In addition to reinstalling your printer, be sure to assign a static IP address to it.
Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 8 – Check the ink levels
In several instances users reported that The printer requires your attention was caused by low ink level. If you suspect that your ink levels are the problem, be sure to remove the ink cartridges and shake them a bit.
After doing that, the issue should be at least temporarily resolved. If you want a permanent solution, you might want to replace your cartridges.
Solution 9 – Make sure that your printer is properly installed
Sometimes The printer requires your attention message can appear if the printer isn’t properly installed. To make sure that everything is working properly, be sure to reinstall your printer properly and follow every step.
Even if you use a wireless printer, be sure to follow the most basic steps such as connecting the printer to your PC when required. Sometimes the minor steps can make a difference, so be sure to follow them all.
Those are a few potential fixes for The printer requires your attention error. If you have any other fixes for the error, please share them below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- FIX: Windows 10 doesn’t find wireless printer
- FIX: Printer doesn’t scan in Windows 10, 8.1
- How to fix printer queue in Windows 10, 8, 7
- What to do if Windows 10/8.1 can’t find printer on network
- Fix: PDF files not printing properly in Windows 10
Twitch is one of the most used and appreciated streaming services available on the market, but a large number of users reported Error fetching your […]
As one Microsoft employee reports on the company’s forum, you can now get notifications on your desktop every time your Skype contact come online. Also, […]
Bluetooth peripherals are great, especially if you don’t like dealing with wires, but many Windows 10 users reported Windows was unable to install Bluetooth peripheral […]