Fix: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error on Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors are one of the most serious errors that you can encounter on Windows 10. Since these errors can be so problematic, it’s important to know how to fix them, and today we’re going to show you how to fix UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error.
Here are some more error codes that you can resolve with the solutions below:
- Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap_m 1000007f
- Bugcheck code 0x1000007f
- ntkrpamp exe unexpected_kernel_mode_trap
- Windows error code 0x7f
- Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap parameters
How to fix UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error
Table of contents:
- Update your drivers
- Install the latest Windows 10 updates
- Remove your antivirus
- Remove problematic applications
- Reset Windows 10 and check your hardware
Quick solution to fix various errors in Windows 10
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Update your drivers
Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by outdated drivers, and in order to prevent these errors from appearing, it’s crucial that your drivers are up to date. If your drivers are outdated or buggy, Windows 10 won’t be able to recognize and use hardware that is associated with them. To fix this error, it’s advised that you update the problematic driver, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard to open Power User Menu. Select Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens locate the driver you wish to update, right click it and choose Update Driver Software.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows 10 to download the appropriate driver.
- Repeat the same steps for all drivers that you want to update.
Even though updating your drivers through Device Manager is simple and straightforward, you should know that Device Manager doesn’t always download the latest drivers. This can sometimes be an issue, therefore we suggest that you download your drivers manually. Downloading drivers manually is relatively simple, and you can update the necessary drivers by visiting your hardware manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your device.
Bear in mind that you might have to update all drivers on your Windows 10 PC in order to fix this error. Few users reported that the issue was caused by Realtek audio drivers, therefore we strongly suggest that you update these drivers first and then update all other drivers.
Updating your drivers is crucial for your system’s stability, but updating all your drivers manually can be long and tedious process. To quickly update all your drivers, we suggest that you try this Driver Update software that downloads all the necessary drivers with just a single click.
Solution 2 – Install the latest Windows 10 updates
Errors such as UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M can appear due to hardware or software issues. Windows 10, just like any other operating system, has few issues with certain hardware and software, and sometimes these issues can cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear.
To prevent BSoD errors from appearing, we strongly suggest that you install the latest Windows 10 updates. Microsoft is frequently releasing new updates, and you can download them by using Windows Update. Many of these updates address security flaws and bugs related to both hardware and software, therefore if you want your PC to be safe, stable and free from BSoD errors, we strongly suggest that you download the latest updates.
Solution 3 – Remove your antivirus
Your antivirus or firewall can sometimes cause UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error to appear and crash your PC. To fix this error, it’s strongly recommended that you remove all third-party antivirus programs from your PC. Users reported that Avast was causing this error, and after removing the software, the BSoD error was completely fixed. Bear in mind that almost any antivirus program can cause this issue, so be sure to remove them all. To completely remove certain antivirus program from your PC, we advise that you use dedicated removal tool. Almost all antivirus companies have these tools available, so be sure to download one for your antivirus program.
If removing the antivirus fixes the problem, you can continue using Windows Defender, or you can reinstall your antivirus program again. Alternatively, you can completely switch to a different antivirus solution.
Solution 4 – Remove problematic applications
In addition to your antivirus, other third-party applications can cause this error to appear, therefore it’s recommended that you remove them. According to users, Daemon Tools can cause this error on Windows 10, so we highly recommend that you remove it from your PC.
Another way to find problematic applications is to perform a clean boot, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Press Enter or click OK.
- System Configuration window will now open. Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
- Go to Services tab and check Hide all Microsoft services and then click on Disable all button.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Start Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- When Task Manager opens, go to Startup tab, right click each entry on the list and choose Disable.
- After you disable all startup applications, close Task Manager and restart your PC.
When your PC boots, check if the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error appears again. If there’s no error, you need to repeat the same steps and enable disabled services and applications one by one until you find the one that is causing this error to appear.
Solution 5 – Reset Windows 10 and check your hardware
If the UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error is caused by certain third-party software, you should be able to fix this error by resetting Windows 10. This procedure will delete all files from your C partition, therefore we strongly advise that you back them up. Bear in mind that that you might also need a bootable USB flash drive in order to complete the reset, so be sure to create one, just in case. To reset Windows 10, do the following:
- Restart your computer few times while it boots to start Automatic Repair.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. Be sure to have Windows 10 installation media ready because you might need it for this step.
- Select Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button to start.
- Follow the instructions to complete the Windows 10 reset.
When the reset process is finished, you’ll have a clean installation of Windows 10 without any third-party applications. Test your PC for a while and check if the BSoD error appears again. If the error appears, check if your hardware is working properly. Users reported that faulty graphic card can cause this error, so be sure to check your graphic card first and then check all other components.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M error can sometimes be problematic, but since it’s usually caused by outdated drivers or certain software, you can easily fix it by using one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: GWXUX.exe Application Error in Windows 10
- Fix: DRIVER_VIOLATION error on Windows 10
- Fix: Restore Point Not Working on Windows 10
- Fix: BSOD Caused by ‘Kernel Auto Boost Lock Acquisition With Raised IRQL’
- Windows 10 Blue Screen Loop [Fix]
Some time ago, the skills of a DJ consisted in knowing how to mix the vinyl and manage a console. Nowadays, thanks to a simple […]
Are you finding it difficult to manage your team’s checklists? The ultimate solution is to automate your checklists. By doing this, you are able to […]
The month of January has brought quite a few updates to all the Windows 10 versions currently supported by Microsoft. The tech giant launched the […]