- VirtualBox is an excellent x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtual machine software and it's fully compatible with Windows 10.
- Users complained about VirtualBoxVM.exe error and the most probable cause points to the graphics card drivers.
- Learn more about virtual machines from our Virtualization page.
- Our Tech Troubleshooting Hub is full of possible solutions to your PC problems.
VirtualBox is a great virtual machine software, but many users reported VirtualBoxVM.exe error while using it.
This problem will prevent you completely from running a virtual machine on your PC, but there’s a way to fix it.
Here’s how one user described the problem on the Spiceworks forum:
In intervals last from less than a minute to over an hour, VirtualBox throws this error and the VM freezes.
VirtualBox.exe – Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FFA94CC6733 referenced memory at 0X0000000000000018. The memory could not be read[…].
How do I fix VirtualBox.exe application error?
1. Uninstall and reinstall VirtualBox
- Go to your Start menu and open Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program.
- Select VirtualBox and uninstall it.
- Proceed to download VirtualBox from its official website.
- Open the file and reinstall the program.
Many software products leave some files behind after a regular uninstall and sometimes, those leftovers can prevent you from reinstalling the app.
If you want to make sure that you remove all the contents of VirtualBox, you need to use specialized uninstaller software such as IObit Uninstaller.
By using uninstaller software you’ll ensure that the program and all its files and registry entries are removed from your PC.
After you completely remove VirtualBox, IObit will stay in the background and it will notify you when you will try to install bundleware or any malware.
IObit Uninstaller 10 ProIObit Uninstaller will remove any trace of VirtualBox from your PC and will free up lots of space on your hard drive.
2. Update the graphics card driver
- Check your graphics card drivers.
- If the drivers are outdated, visit the graphics card‘s manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your model.
- Once the latest drivers are installed, check if the problem is still there.
- If updating your graphics card didn’t offer any acceptable results, try disabling 3D acceleration for your graphics card.
This awesome tool has a modern look and it’s extremely easy to use. To begin with, download and install DriverFix.
Once you start it, the app will start running a scan on your system to detect any problems with your drivers. After a few minutes, you will see a list of the recommended drivers.
There is also the easy way of checking the Select All box from above the list and install all the drivers in one go.
DriverFixIf the graphics card driver is the root of this issue, DriverFix will find the newest one and fix the problem right away.
3. Perform a malware scan
You can always try to scan your PC for malware using Windows Defender. It comes with your OS for free and it offers basic protection.
However, if you want to make sure that you detect and eliminate all possible malware from your system and stay protected at all times, you will need a professional-grade security solution like Bitdefender Antivirus Plus.
The antivirus products from Bitdefender are installed in more than 500 million systems worldwide, so this is a strong solution highly trusted globally.
Among other functions, this excellent software comes with multi-layered ransomware detection, anti-phishing protection and a special secure environment for all your online transactions.
Bitdefender Antivirus PlusBitdefender will make sure you eliminate any possible threat from your system and will keep your PC safe.
4. Stop VM from the Task Manager
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- In the Process tab select the VirtualBoxVM.exe and right click on it.
- Select End Process Tree.
- Exit Task Manager and start VirtualBox.
There you go, 4 quick and simple solutions that can help you fix VirtualBoxVM.exe error on your PC. Feel free to try all of our solutions, and let us know which solution worked for you.