- Windows 11 comes with a feature called widgets, which basically allows users to display information on their desktop.
- The widgets open in Microsoft Edge by default whenever you want to expand or edit settings.
- While this is fine for most users, some prefer to use another browser for the same.
Usually, Windows 11 Widgets will open links in the default browser which is Microsoft Edge. However, not everyone enjoys Edge as their default browser. This is especially annoying if you prefer to use another browser, like Firefox, Opera, or Chrome.
Windows 11 widgets are cool. They help you do things like research flights, check your calendar, and send emails right from a panel on your Windows desktop.
If you don’t have a use for them, you can disable widgets, but if they make your life easier, this article is for you to help open them in your browser of choice.
Why aren’t Windows 11 widgets opening in my browser?
If you click on your widgets but are always directed to a blank page, below are some possible causes:
- Firewall/Antivirus – If you use a firewall or anti-virus program, it might have blocked access to the web pages where your widgets are hosted. Check that any antivirus software on your PC isn’t blocking access by temporarily disabling it.
- Outdated browser – You may have an outdated version of your browser installed on your computer that needs to be updated.
- Incompatibility issues – Windows 11 widgets are compatible with only certain browsers. If you use any other browser then the widget might not open properly or get stuck on a blank page.
- You have pop-up blockers enabled – If you want to open widgets in your browser, you’ll need to allow pop-ups in your browser.
If you encounter any of the above issues, there is a way to open widgets in your favorite browser as detailed below.
Since we use more and more add-ons and extensions in our browsers, using additional widgets might create issues and make them open in Windows’s default browser, Edge.
Switching to a different browser, that has most features you use already installed, can be just the right solution. Opera offers plenty of apps and widgets, so there is no need for additional downloads, reducing the risks of incompatibilities.
With all the built-in apps, Opera is ideal for your day-to-day browsing!
How do I change the default browser for widgets in Windows 11?
1. Set your preferred browser as the default
When you download and install a new browser, you will always get a prompt asking you to set it as your default browser.
This is useful if you’re trying out a new browser and want to use it for all your browsing without having to change anything manually.
2. Disable Microsoft Edge
Disabling an app is a way of preventing the app from running on your PC. It is different from uninstalling or deleting it. This is useful if you want to remove an app that has been causing problems on your device.
When you disable an app, it won’t be able to access your location or other information and features. It is a way to temporarily remove it from your device without deleting it. This will not affect any of your data or information stored within the app and you can enable it again at any time.
3. Uninstall Microsoft Edge
- Hit the Windows key and click on Settings.
- Go to Apps then select Apps & features.
- Navigate to Microsoft Edge, click on the three ellipses and select Uninstall.
- Confirm by clicking the Uninstall button again.
Since Edge is the default browser, uninstalling it will prompt you to choose another browser and set your preferred one to open your Windows 11 widgets.
4. Use MSEdgeRedirect
1. Navigate to your browser and download MSEdgeRedirect.
2. Double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation wizard, then click on Install.
3. Click on I accept this license then hit Next to continue with the installation.
4. Select Service Mode then click on Next.
5. Launch the app, then click on Start Service Mode With Windows and Windows Store Apps, then hit Install.
If your Windows 11 widgets keep getting redirected from your default browser to Microsoft Edge, it might be time to use a third-party app to stop this from happening.
We recommend MSEdge Redirect, which is an open-source tool available for free on Github. The tool will ensure your widgets use the browser you set as default, instead of Edge, via Settings.
5. Change browser manually
- Hit the three horizontal ellipses next to your selected widget.
- At the bottom, you will see Powered by Weather (In this case the weather widget).
- Now proceed to Settings, select Apps then click on Default Apps.
- Select a browser of your choice as the default.
Since each widget is related to an app or service, you first need to find out the app and then manually set the default browser to your preferred one.
Will uninstalling Microsoft Edge cause problems?
Microsoft Edge is a web browser that’s built into Windows 11 but it’s not the only browser available. The most common reason why people want to uninstall Microsoft Edge is that they don’t like it.
If you’re not happy with the way that Microsoft Edge works or looks, then there’s no point in keeping it on your computer and you can switch to Opera or Chrome. You may find that there are better browsers available that do everything that you want them to do in a more efficient manner.
Uninstalling applications from your system can cause problems because they use parts of your operating system and other applications installed on your computer.
When you remove an application, these components may remain on your system and cause issues with other programs or even prevent them from working properly.
While all browsers have their advantages, there are some built-in OS functions and features that are exclusive to Microsoft Edge on Windows 11. If you uninstall this browser, you may lose access to these functions.
Hopefully, you have found at least one or more ways to open your widgets in your favorite browser.
In case you want to also open apps in a browser of your choice, you can do so by changing your default browser in Windows 11.
What’s your default browser and what are your reasons for choosing it? Just let us know in the comments section below.