Fix: Windows 10, 8.1, 8 Recognizes WiFi But I Can’t Access the Internet
Do you have issues with your internet connections in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, 8 while connected to the wifi? You will be glad to know that just by reading the lines below you will find out why your internet access isn’t working and what you can do to fix it.
Even though your wifi icon shows up in your taskbar of the Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, 8 system you can still have some issues with the internet access. First of all, you need to know that you can have a stable wifi connection to the router but this will not assure you an internet access on the system. You will find out more about the internet access by reading the tutorials below.
How to fix “connected to wifi but can’t access the internet” issue on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, 8:
- Restart your Wi-Fi device
- Restart the Internet router
- Unplug/plug the cable
- Try different browsers
- Disconnect/Reconnect to the Wi-Fi router
- Other Wi-Fi/Internet connection issues in Windows 10, 8.1
First tutorial: Restart your Wi-Fi device
- So first you will need to look for your wifi icon in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, 8 usually situated in the lower right side of the desktop feature.
- If the wifi icon shows that you are connected but you have a yellow exclamation mark next to it then it means that you have no internet access from the router.
- So the first thing you will need to do is disable the wifi adapter from your Windows 8 device.
Note: Usually there is a combination of an “Fn” key and a Function key on the keyboard that you can try to disable the wifi adapter. Also if you are using a laptop you should have the wifi light turned off.
- Reboot the Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, 8 device.
- After the device starts up again you will need to enable the wifi adaptor and check your internet connectivity.
We strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware and malware failure and file loss. It will also optimize your PC for maximum performance.
Second tutorial: Restart the Internet router
- Shutdown the internet router.
- Wait approximately one minute.
- Power up the internet router.
- Wait for the router to properly start.
- Try connecting your device to the wifi connections and check your internet access.
Third tutorial: Unplug/plug the cable
- Unplug the Ethernet cable (the internet cable) from the router and plug it directly into your device.
- If the Internet is not working with a direct cable connection then you will need to contact your internet service provider and tell them you have no internet connectivity.
- If your internet access is working after you plugged in the cable directly then it is most likely an issue with your router.
Note: If it is an issue with your router I would suggest you install it again by following the instructions on the CD that came with it when you bought it.
Fourth tutorial: Try different browsers
- If you have a wifi connection and you have no yellow mark next to the wifi icon then you will need to try to connect using multiple internet browsers.
- Connect to the Internet Explorer and see if your internet access is good.
- Connect for example to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and see if you have internet access.
- If this issue is only happening on a specific internet browser and not on all of them I would suggest you uninstall the browser and install the latest version available for Windows 8 or Windows 10 devices.
Fifth tutorial: Disconnect/Reconnect to the Wi-Fi router
- Try canceling your wifi internet connection to the router.
- Connect again to the wifi router by entering your password and account.
- Check to see if your internet access is working properly
Other Wi-Fi/Internet connection issues in Windows 10, 8.1
This is not the only problem that may occur while trying to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. Well, this isn’t such a problem as we have the solutions in order to fix these issues on Windows 10, 8.1 and 8 PCs, but you have to follow our steps carefully. If you have other connection problems, we recommend you to check the list we have prepared for you. Here are the most common issues:
- Fix: Windows 10 Can’t Connect To This Network
- Fix: No Internet Connection after installing Windows updates
- Fix: Problem with wireless adapter or access point on Windows 10
- Fix: Wi-Fi doesn’t have valid IP configuration on Windows 10
Have you fixed your internet access using a wifi connection by following the tutorials above? If so please write us below your feedback on this issue and what was the tutorial that worked for you.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]
No matter if you run a business or not, if you want store data, QNAP (Quality Network Appliance Provider) Systems is probably the answer you […]
We have all sorts of applications on our PC, but sometimes certain apps can become grayed out and unable to remove. This can be a […]