Windows 7, 8.1 computers will no longer be sold starting November
Microsoft has been trying to convince Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PC owners to upgrade to Windows 10 for more than a year now. The company tried various methods to achieve this goal, ranging from free upgrade offers to forced upgrade methods.
To a certain extend, Microsoft reached its goal, but the company definitely wishes Windows were more popular. According to the recent AdDuplex reports, Windows 10 adoption is on the rise, particularly thanks to the Anniversary Update OS.
Starting from November, the Windows 10 adoption rate will receive another boost because OEMs will no longer be allowed to sell Windows 7, 8.1 computers. In other words, if you’ve been thinking about buying a good old reliable Windows 7 PC, you should act fast.
This change doesn’t shock anybody since we all know Microsoft is planning to kill support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. The company will continue to push security fixes to Windows 7 via Windows Update until Jan. 14, 2020, while Windows 8.1 will be supported until Jan. 10, 2023.
If you want to avoid using Windows 10, there are still some methods you can use even after November 1st:
- Existing inventory PCs that come with older Windows versions before the deadline can still be sold.
- You can take advantage of the downgrade rights: PC with Windows 10 Pro preinstalled come with downgrade rights to Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional. The offer is valid for as long as Microsoft provides support these two old OS versions.
- Custom images: Corporate customers dispose of volume licenses for Windows allowing them to incorporate their preferred Windows versions.
- System Builder OEMs: small PC makers who buy OEM System Builder media can continue to build and sell those PCs.
- Create your own Windows version: there are plenty of solutions that tech savvy users can use to save and and install older Windows versions.
Microsoft recommends all users to upgrade to its latest OS. Newer Windows versions are more stable and secure, and constantly receive new features. It is worth mentioning that only the supported Windows versions are eligible for technical assistance in case something stops working.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Download Windows 7 updates KB3179930, KB3179949 , KB3177467 and KB3181988
- Common Windows 7 update error codes and how to fix them
- Windows 7 market shares drops below 40 percent and Windows 10 takes over
Those having a vlogger at home would know how passionate they are about their activity. Finding some of the best Christmas gifts for vloggers will […]
It’s a beehive of activities with shoppers making several runs to get their favorite supplies for the Christmas celebration. In case you are confused and […]