How do I fix error code 28?
- Run the Hardware and Update Troubleshooter
- Update your Bluetooth driver
- Run the Update Troubleshooter
- Run the Bluetooth troubleshooter
- Contact manufacturer support
After installing a new operating system, especially if it’s a new Windows 10 Technical Preview build, you might face problems with drivers for some of your devices. Some users complained that they’re unable to install the Bluetooth driver on their laptops, due to Bluetooth driver error code 28.
The drivers for this device are not installed: Bluetooth error 28
Error Code 28 tells you that a driver for a particular device isn’t installed or it can’t be installed for some reason. Besides other drivers, this error code also applies to Bluetooth device of your computer. So, we prepared a couple of workarounds which, I hope, will help you to fix this error, and you’ll be able install the Bluetooth driver on your laptop.
Solution 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
You can run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to see if something’s wrong with your Bluetooth device. If Windows finds some errors, it will provide you with appropriate solution. Here’s what you need to do to run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter:
- Go to Search, type troubleshoot, and open Troubleshooting
- Click on Hardware and Sound, and click on Hardware and Devices
- Let the wizard scan your devices for errors
Solution 2: Update your Bluetooth driver
Many users confirmed that updating their Bluetooth drivers fixes this issue. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open Device Manager > select Bluetooth drivers
- Right-click on the driver > select Uninstall
- Now, go to View > Check for hardware changes to install the latest Bluetooth drivers.
An easier and safe alternative would be to use third-party software that updates the latest drivers automatically. The tool will initiate a deep scan and find the most suitable Bluetooth drivers within seconds.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer create any problems if you download and use this powerful software today.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
Solution 3: Run the Update Troubleshooter
If everything is okay with your Bluetooth device, you can run an Update Troubleshooter. This step especially applies to users of Windows 10 TP who have problems with their Bluetooth driver.
Microsoft delivers new drivers through Update almost every day, and if your Update service doesn’t work properly, you’ll be unable to receive a driver update for your Bluetooth device.
To open Updates Troubleshooter, open Windows Troubleshooter (as shown in step 1 above), and click on Fix problems with Windows Update, under System and Security.
On newer Windows 10 versions, you can launch both these troubleshooter from the Settings page. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot and simply launch the tools.
Solution 4: Run the Bluetooth troubleshooter
Since error 28 is a Bluetooth-specific error code, you can also run the Bluetooth troubleshooter, as shown in the screenshot below.
Solution 5: Contact manufacturer support
Laptop manufacturers usually provide all need support to their users. So, go to your laptop’s manufacturer website and search for a Bluetooth driver. You can also contact their support service, and I’m sure they’ll give you any needed assistance.
While I was searching for solutions of this problem, I noticed one interesting thing. Some laptops have only one button for turning on both WiFi and Bluetooth, so if this is the case with your laptop, press that button a couple of times and your Bluetooth should activate, letting Windows to install drivers normally.
RELATED GUIDES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Bluetooth keyboard lag in Windows 10
- FIX: Windows 10 cannot find Bluetooth headphones
- Fix: Bluetooth Disappeared From PC And Devices List