- If Discord installation has failed, you won't be able to run it on your computer.
- You should first check if your Windows 10 account has the right privileges.
- Deleting all old associated files can solve the Discord installation failed error.
- It might be necessary to completely remove the tool from your PC, then reinstall it.
Discord might stop running without any apparent reasons, though usually the problems are related to corrupted files. A Windows 10 update or a new program installed on your PC can interfere with internal Discord packages.
Usually, when Discord cannot be used, users decide to reinstall the software. Well, if you try to do that you will most likely notice that the Discord installation has failed.
The troubleshooting steps below will help you address the errors that may occur during the Discord installation process. So, in the end, you can use your favorite online chatting software.
If Discord installation has failed in Windows 10, you can fix the problem by following the next steps.
What do I do if I get Discord installation has failed check setup log message?
This is a common issue, and the Discord installation failed error can appear on Windows 11 as well. In most cases, you just need to clear the application cache and try to install it again.
On the other hand, if you don’t have the necessary permissions, you might get Failed to extract installer during Discord setup.
However, you can easily fix most of these issues simply by following the instructions from this guide.
What are the reasons for a failed Discord installation in Windows 10?
In case the Discord installation has failed for you, usually is because some apps are still running in the background. If this is the reason why you encounter this problem, you’ll need to end all the unnecessary processes.
You should also verify if you’ve already installed an old version of this app. Leftovers of the previous Discord design can also stop you from having a clean installation.
The Windows privileges that run on your operating system are also important. Thus, you have to ensure that you’re using the correct ones.
Now that you’re aware of the most common reasons for a failed Discord installation in Windows 10, let’s see what you can do to fix it.
What can I do if the Discord installation failed in Windows 10?
1. Stop the Discord process
- Use the following keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+Del, and choose Task Manager.
- Under Background Processes find any entry that might be related to Discord.
- To end the process, select it and click the End Task button. If there are multiple instances, you have to select them one by one.
2. Uninstall previous Discord app
- Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel, then open it.
- From the View by option that is located on the right corner, switch to Small icons.
- Select Programs and Features.
- In the list of programs, find and select Discord, then choose Uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
As a best practice, before installing a program that is already installed, you need to uninstall it from Control Panel. Usually, if you don’t uninstall first, you receive an error message.
However, some apps let you install multiple versions and this can also lead to computer issues.
3. Remove the file still left on your device
- Press Windows + R keyboard hotkeys to open the Run dialog window.
- Type %appdata% and hit the Enter key.
- From the path that will open, go to Local and Roaming folders, locate and delete the Discord folder.
- Restart your computer in the end.
- You should be able to reinstall Discord on your Windows 10 system without problems now.
4. Run the install as Administrator
- Hit the Windows key and type Discord.exe.
- Now, right-click on the first result and choose to Run as administrator.
- If the UAC is prompted, choose Yes.
Almost any software you want to install needs Admin privileges. Thus, either your Windows account is an administrator account or you need to know the user and the password for the admin account.
If you’re not sure of how to enable or disable the administrator account in Windows 10, make sure you verify a dedicated guide in that matter.
5. Uninstall the Windows update
- Use the following keyboard shortcut: Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Go to Windows Update and choose View Update history.
- Click on the first option, Uninstall updates.
- From there you can uninstall certain Windows updates.
This solution should be used as a last resort, Windows updates are patches that address OS problems, security issues, new features, etc. Thus, it is important to keep your Windows up to date.
Those are the troubleshooting steps that can fix the Discord installation engine for Windows 10.
Our today’s guide presented only the most efficient solutions to use if the Discord installation has failed on your OS. To quickly solve it, make sure you read the steps completely.
If you have further questions or if you need to fix other similar problems, don’t hesitate to leave a comment in the section below.
Also, the Discord support team is always excited to help you, so you can contact it through the official support page.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the Discord installation failed, you should follow our efficient solutions.
It might be a problem with the privileges of your Windows account. You can try these easy solutions if the Discord update keeps failing.
Usually, the app process remains stuck and you need to kill it. If Discord won’t open, our quick guide will show you exactly what to do.