If you’re using Microsoft’s Outlook as your main email service, there’s a big chance you’ve encountered a lot of error messages or bugs. This time, we’re going to talk about an annoying “Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now Outlook” error message that prevents users from signing in normally.
Various factors can cause this error message, like a corrupted file in the browser, or errors in Microsoft’s servers. So, here are a couple of solutions for this problem, based on a cause of the error message.
How to Fix Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now Outlook” error
Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now error can appear while trying to access Outlook. Speaking of issues, here are some similar issues reported by users:
- Hotmail, Outlook something went wrong – This problem can occur while trying to access Hotmail or Outlook, and it’s usually related to your browser. To fix the problem, clear your cache and check if the issue is still there.
- Can’t login to Outlook email – If you can’t login to Outlook email, you might want to try using a desktop email client. Windows already has a built-in email client, but there are also many other great email clients as well.
- Something went wrong Outlook 365 – This issue can also occur with Outlook 365, but you should be able to fix the problem using one of our solutions.
- Can’t sign into my Hotmail account – Many users reported that they are unable to sign in to their Hotmail app. To fix the problem, be sure to check your antivirus and make sure that Hotmail isn’t blocked.
- Can’t log into Outlook web app – If you’re unable to access Outlook web app, the issue might be your browser. Several users reported that reinstalling their browser fixed the issue, so you might want to try that.
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
If you can’t access Outlook due to Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now message, the problem might be your antivirus. To fix the problem, be sure to check your antivirus settings and make sure that Outlook and similar websites aren’t blocked.
If everything is in order in terms of settings, disable your antivirus and check if that helps. In case the problem is still there, you might have to remove your antivirus software completely.
Once you remove the antivirus, restart your PC and check if the issue is still there. If the problem doesn’t reappear, you should consider switching to a different antivirus.
There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want an antivirus that offers great protection that won’t interfere with your system, you should definitely consider BullGuard.
Solution 2 – Clear browser cache, cookies and Internet history
If something’s wrong with your browser, like some corrupted file or something, there’s a chance you won’t be able log into your Outlook account. So, before you try anything else, just clear browsing data on your current browser, and you should be able to connect.
In most cases, the problem is related to your cache, and in order to fix it, it’s advised to clear cache in your browser. You can do that with ease by following these steps:
- Click the Menu icon in the top right corner and choose Settings.
- Scroll all the way down and click on Advanced.
- Now locate Clear browsing data option and click it.
- Set Time range to All Time and check all options. Now click Clear data button.
After clearing the cache, try to login to the Outlook web app and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 3 – Check if Microsoft’s servers are down
In case you’re not able to connect from any browser, something’s probably wrong with Microsoft’s servers. If Microsoft’s servers are down, there’s basically nothing you can do to connect to your Outlook account, but to wait for Microsoft to get servers back online.
To check if Microsoft’s servers are down, go to this link. This is official Microsoft’s server status checker, and it shows whether Outlook and Office 365 servers are online or not.
Solution 4 – Use Outlook app for Windows 10
Microsoft released its official Mail app for Windows 10 along with the system. The app is regularly updated, and functions pretty well for most users, so if you’re unable to log in to your Outlook account from a browser, try the official UWP app.
In case you’re not able to use Mail app for Windows 10, or some error message pops out, try to check out our article about problems with Outlook app in Windows 10, and maybe you’ll find a solution. Even though the Mail app in Windows 10 works great, for the most part, there are certain advanced features missing. If you’re an advanced email user, perhaps you should try Mailbird, a leader on the mail client apps market.
This application has many great features that advanced users will use, so if you’re looking for a powerful email client, be sure to try it.
Solution 5 – Make sure that cookies for Outlook and Microsoft are enabled
Many websites rely on cookies in order to work properly, and if you blocked cookies from Microsoft or Outlook, you might encounter certain issues. Users reported that they fixed Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now message simply by making a few changes in their browser.
To do that, just follow these steps:
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- Scroll all the way down and click Advanced to reveal the advanced settings. Select Content settings.
- Select Popups from the menu.
- In the Allow section click the Add button. Now add both Microsoft and Outlook URLs to the list.
After allowing popups from these two websites, the issue should be resolved and you’ll be able to access Outlook once again.
Solution 6 – Update your browser
According to users, sometimes this issue can occur if your browser is out of date. If you’re getting Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now message, you can try updating your browser and check if that helps. For the most part, your browser will check for updates automatically, but you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Click the Menu icon in the top right corner.
- Choose Help > About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will open and the browser will check for available updates.
If any updates are available, they will be installed automatically. Once your browser is up to date, the problem should be resolved.
In addition to updating your browser, you might want to try installing the Beta or the Canary version. The Beta version offers new updates, but it’s not fully stable, so you might encounter different problems with it once in a while.
On the other hand, the Canary version offers the latest updates, but it’s less stable than the Beta version, so keep that in mind.
Solution 7 – Reinstall your browser
If you keep getting Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now message while trying to access Outlook web app, there might be an issue with your browser. Users reported this problem in Firefox, and after reinstalling it, the problem was completely resolved.
Keep in mind that this problem isn’t related only to Firefox, and it can appear in any other browser. If you experience this error in your browser, it’s advised to reinstall it and check if that helps.
There are several ways to reinstall the application, and while the usual method might work for most users, sometimes it’s necessary to remove all files and registry entries related to your browser. Any leftover files from your browser might cause this issue to reappear, therefore it’s advised to completely remove your browser.
There are several ways to do that, but the simplest one is by using an uninstaller software. Uninstaller software is a special application that will remove all files and registry entries related to the application you’re trying to remove. As a result, the application will be completely removed and it won’t interfere with your system.
There are many great uninstaller applications on the market, but one of the best is Revo Uninstaller, so be sure to try it out. Once you remove your browser using this application and install it again, the problem will be completely resolved.
Solution 8 – Try using a different browser
If you can’t access Outlook in your web browser due to Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now message, maybe you should consider using a different web browser.
If this problem appears in your current browser, switch to another web browser and check if that solves the issues.
We hope this article helped you to solve the “Something went wrong and we can’t sign you in right now Outlook,” and that you’re now able to connect to your Outlook account without any problems. In case you have any comments or questions, just write them down below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows 10 rollback stuck
- Download and install SyncToy on Windows 10
- Office 365 ransomware spreads using Outlook’s help