How to fix Diablo 3 issues on Windows 10
Diablo series is probably one of the best-known action RPG series on Windows platform. Many Windows 10 users are fans of Diablo 3, but unfortunately, Diablo 3 has certain issues on Windows 10, and today we’re going to address those issues.
Diablo 3 issues on Windows 10
Fix – Diablo 3 crash
Solution 1 – Make sure that your drivers are up to date
Diablo 3 crashes can be caused by outdated video driver, therefore if you’re experiencing any issues with Diablo 3, we strongly urge you to update your drivers first. Many users reported that downloading the latest drivers for their graphics card fixed the crashing issues, so make sure you try that.
We recommend TweakBit Driver Updater (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC. This tool will prevent file loss and help you to avoid permanent damage to your PC caused by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Solution 2 – Set BattleNet and Diablo 3 to power saving mode
Few users claim that they solved the crashing issues with Diablo 3 by setting both the game and the BattleNet client to run in power saving mode from Catalyst Control Center. Users reported that this solution was helpful to them, so feel free to try it.
Solution 3 – Change AMD Catalyst Control Settings
In order to perform this solution, make sure that Diablo 3 isn’t running. If Diablo 3 is closed, do the following:
- Open AMD Catalyst Control Center.
- Choose Gaming and click on 3D Application Settings.
- Set Anti-aliasing Method to Supersampling.
- Turn Morphological Filtering to Off.
- Set Tessellation Mode to Override application settings.
- Save changes and start Diablo 3.
- READ ALSO: Fix: AMD Driver Crash on Windows 10
Solution 4 – Turn off water / tar pit effect
Some users claim that water/tar pit effect is the cause for Diablo 3 crashes. In order to fix this problem, start Diablo 3 and disable these effects from the options menu.
Solution 5 – Turn off EVGA Precision X
EVGA Precision X is a useful overclocking tool for your graphic card that can help you boost your PC performance. If you want to know more about this tool and overclocking in general, we wrote an article about the best overclocking software for Windows 10, so you might want to have a look at it.
Although overclocking tools might boost your PC performance, sometimes these tools can cause instability issues with certain games, such as Diablo 3 in this particular case. In order to fix Diablo 3 crashes, users are strongly advising to turn off EVGA Precision X while running Diablo 3. If you have to run Precision X, make sure you are using the latest version, but if the latest version is giving you problems, try using the older version instead.
Fix – Diablo 3 freezing
Solution 1 – Lower your graphic settings
In some cases Diablo 3 freezing can be caused by your graphic settings, so in order to fix it you’ll need to lower the texture quality. Users reported that lowering texture quality to Low fixes the issue for them. Even though your game won’t look the best with low-resolution textures, it should run without any freezing.
Game Fire is a game booster that will get rid of freezes, crashes, lags, low FPS and other issues while playing. Download it now (free) for a better gaming experience.
Solution 2 – Change Timeout Detection and Recovery values
Timeout Detection and Recovery, or TDR for short, is a option that is in charge for your graphic card driver. This option comes with its own value, and if for some reason your graphic card doesn’t respond within the set time frame, the graphic card driver resets. This can sometimes cause Diablo 3 to freeze, so let’s try to change TDR value. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Click OK or press.
- Once Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following key in the left pane:
- On the right pane, right click the empty space and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value if you’re using 32-bit operating system. If you’re using 64-bit version of Windows select QWORD (64-bit) from the list.
- Enter TdrDelay as the name of the new value and double click it to open its properties.
- Enter 8 as the value and click OK to save changes.
- Close Registry Editor and restart your computer in order to apply changes.
Solution 3 – Change Power Options
Diablo 3 freezes can be caused by your power settings, so in order to fix these issues, we advise you to change these settings. To do that, simply follow these instructions:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter Power Options. Select Power Options from the menu.
- Once Power Option window opens, locate your current power plan and click on Change plan settings.
- Click on Change advanced power settings.
- Locate PCI Express section and expand it.
- Expand Link State Power Management and set it to Off.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Kernel Power 41 Error on Windows 10
Fix – Diablo 3 black screen
Solution 1 – Change D3Prefs file and run the game in windowed mode
If you’re having issues with Diablo 3 black screen, users are advising to change D3Prefs file. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open DocumentsDiablo 3 folder. You should see D3Prefs file. Open it.
- Locate DisplayModeWindowMode and change it from 0 to 1. Some users are advising to change it from 0 to 2, in order to run the game in windowed fullscreen mode.
- Save changes and start the game again.
Solution 2 – Set max fps to 60
Users are claiming that setting max foreground fps to 60 fixes the black screen issue for them. To do that, you need to follow these steps:
- Set the game to run in windowed mode. To see how to do that check the previous solution.
- Start the game and go to Graphic options.
- Set Max fps in foreground to 60.
- Check if the issue is resolved.
Some users claim that by setting max fps to 60, you’ll be able to run the game in fullscreen mode again, so make sure to try this solution.
Alternatively, you can change this setting right from the Diablo 3 configuration file. To see how to access Diablo 3 configuration file, check the previous solution. Once you’ve opened D3Prefs file, find the MaxForegroundFPS line and set its value to 60. Save changes and start the game again.
Solution 3 – Run the game in compatibility mode
According to users, you can fix the black screen issues with Diablo 3 by setting Diablo 3 and Diablo 3 Launcher to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode. To do that, simply follow these steps:
- Locate Diablo 3 shortcut and right click it. Choose Properties from the menu.
- Once the Diablo 3 Properties window opens, navigate to Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 7 from the list of options.
- Click Apply and OK and try running the game again.
After you’ve set Diablo 3 to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode, you’ll have to repeat the same steps for Diablo 3 Launcher as well.
Solution 4 – Enable Vsync
Few users claim that you can fix Diablo 3 black screen issues simply by turning on Vsync. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Go to Documents folder and open Diablo 3 folder. You should see D3Prefs file available. Open it.
- Locate Vsync line and change it from 0 to 1.
- Save changes and start the game again.
Solution 5 – Delete the atiumd64.dll and atiumdag.dll files
Few users reported that deleting atiumd64.dll and atiumdag.dll files from Diablo 3 directory has fixed black screen issues for them. Just to be safe, make sure to make copies of these files and save them somewhere safe, in case you need them.
Solution 6 – Reset user options
Black screen issues can be fixed by resetting user options. This can be performed simply by following these steps:
- Open Diablo 3 preloader and choose Options > Game Settings.
- Click Reset User options.
- Start the game.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Black Bars in Games on Windows 10
Fix – Diablo 3 video card not supported
Solution 1 – Press Esc on your keyboard
While trying to launch Diablo 3 you might get “Video card not supported error message”. This message appears if your video card doesn’t meet the hardware requirements. Fortunately, you can avoid this error message by pressing Esc on your keyboard and this should load the game client for you. Bear in mind that even though you might be able to run the game, you’ll experience poor performance since your graphic card isn’t supported.
Solution 2 – Edit D3Prefs file
Users claim that you can fix “Video card not supported error message” error message while starting Diablo 3 if you change the D3Prefs file. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to DocumentsDiablo 3 folder and open D3Prefs file.
- Locate the HardwareClass “0” line and change its value to “1”.
- Locate DisableTrilinearFiltering “0” and change its value to “1”.
- Save changes and try starting the game again.
Fix – Diablo 3 can’t move mouse in fullscreen
Solution – Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
Diablo 3 has number of issues with high DPI, one of them being problems with mouse, so in order to fix this issue, it’s advised that you disable Display scaling. To do that, follow these steps:
- Right click Diablo 3 shortcut and choose Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to Compatibility tab and check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.
Fix – Diablo 3 cinematics not playing
Solution – Edit D3Prefs file
If Diablo 3 cinematics aren’t playing or if they are missing from the cinematics menu, you need to change a few values in D3Prefs file in order to fix this issue. To do that follow these steps:
- Open DocumentsDiablo 3 folder and open D3Prefs.
- Locate PlayedCutscene lines and change them to following:
- PlayedCutscene0 “15”
- PlayedCutscene1 “15”
- PlayedCutscene2 “15”
- PlayedCutscene3 “15”
- Save changes and check if the issue is resolved.
Fix – Diablo 3 updating game files
Solution 1 – Disable your antivirus software
In some cases, you might get stuck with “Updating game files” message due to your antivirus or firewall. In order to fix this issue, it’s advised that you temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall and check if the issue is resolved. If the issue still persists, run the launcher as an administrator by right clicking it and choosing Run as administrator from the menu.
Solution 2 – Disable network adapters that you aren’t using
Sometimes Blizzard Agent might attempt to use a network adapter that isn’t your default one and and cause you to get stuck at “Updating game files” screen. To fix this issue, you’ll need to disable any network adapters that you aren’t using. You can do that by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter Network and Sharing. Select Network and Sharing Center from the list of results.
- When Network and Sharing Center opens, click on Change adapter settings on the left.
- Locate the network adapter that you aren’t currently using, right click it and choose Disable from the menu.
- Repeat the previous step for all network adapters except for the one you’re currently using.
- After you’ve done that, start the Diablo 3 again and it should be able to update.
Solution 3 – Delete and modify Agent files
If you get stuck while updating game files, you might need to delete and modify Agent files. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Program FilesBattle.netAgent folder.
- Locate Agent.exe and delete it.
- Open Agent.db and change p2penable : true to p2penable : false.
- Save changes and try updating the game again.
Diablo 3 is an amazing game, but as you can see, it has its share of issues on Windows 10. If you like action RPG games such as Diablo 3, we also covered how to fix Diablo 2 lag on Windows 10 as well as how to fix Path of Exile issues on Windows 10, so you might want to check one of those articles as well.
- READ ALSO: Fix: CD Games Won’t Play On Windows 10
MS Office 2013 users can utilize templates for preformatted documents. However, some Office users have said that a Something went wrong while downloading your template […]
The new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) product and strategy announced last year in September is here. Well, the Redmond giant planned to offer an early […]
Microsoft just released KB4493132 to Windows 7 computers thus adding end of support notifications.The notifications remind users to upgrade to Windows 10 before January 14th, 2020. The […]