- As expected, a fillable PDF creator will allow you to make PDF form documents that can be also edited.
- Take a closer look at our picks below to find the best free software to create fillable forms.
- We've also included some programs that are cross-platform, working with different OS.
- If you haven't decided yet, note that we've picked programs that have cloud integration, so you can save your work.
PDF documents are still the preferred way to share documents for many. PDFs are more reliable, and their compatibility with almost every handheld device makes them an ideal choice for professionals.
Apart from sharing documents, PDFs are also used to conduct surveys and collect academic details. They are also useful for work purposes where a fillable PDF form is downloaded and sent back after filling the details.
However, the problem is, not every PDF reader can create editable PDF forms or even let you fill the form.
To make this happen, you need to use a PDF form builder with features to create editable PDF forms. This comes along with editing, signing, and commenting on Portable Document Files.
In this article, we have listed the best software to create fillable forms against each other to find the best of the lot.
What’s the best software to create editable PDF files?
From creating fillable PDFs to editing, signing, and sharing, Adobe’s Acrobat DC is the ultimate PDF form maker tool to flawlessly execute every PDF-related task.
The extensive set of features on display make the Acrobat a solid choice for businesses. However, for individuals, the price tag may be a little hard to justify.
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is the best app to create fillable forms, and consists of three main functions, Acrobat DC, Adobe Document Cloud, and Acrobat Reader.
The first one enables you to edit PDFs, the second one keeps PDFs in sync in its cloud storage, and the last one is to read, print, and sign PDFs.
The Acrobat Pro DC can be used to convert Word, Excel, or PowerPoint files to PDF, scan as PDF, convert web pages to PDF and also merge multiple files or split a PDF.
Adobe’s awesome and thorough program also comes with an option to create editable PDF forms, besides all the other cool and useful features it has.
The PDFs can be shared over email through links, and the recipient can read them without using a PDF reader. It also has a free mobile app for multiple platforms.
Adobe Acrobat DC ProWhen it comes to PDF readers and builders, Adobe is the industry standard. So why not go directly for the best?
If you’re wondering how to make a fillable pdf form without acrobat, Icecream PDF Editor is the best choice for the task, letting you enjoy four different PDF editing modes.
To be more precise, it comes with Edit, Annotate, Manage pages, and Fill in forms – and all of them are incredibly intuitive to use.
What sets Icecream PDF Editor apart from its powerful competitors is precisely its unmatched ease to create PDF documents from scratch.
With helpful features such as notes, highlighted areas, and custom stamps, it saves a ton of time and energy that would be otherwise wasted when trying to master other similar tools.
Besides these, Icecream PDF Editor brings to the table even more tempting features:
- Editing PDF objects is a job of mere seconds
- Combining and reordering PDF pages is super easy
- Splitting and merging PDF files are both intuitive
- Extracting PDF pages is done in seconds
- Quick search features
Icecream PDF EditorIcecream PDF Editor has a lot of great features, including those that allow you to easily create editable PDF forms
While our angle is clearly focused on Windows, we simply cannot ignore this most powerful PDF editor designed primarily for Mac (but also Windows-compatible).
This cutting-edge software allows you to do pretty much anything with a PDF from adding signatures, images, and objects to performing corrections, and of course, creating fully editable, interactive forms.
With a plethora of versatile editing tools and native OCR support, PDFpenPro makes PDF handling as easy as a breeze and forms’ management even easier.
You can use this tool to create and edit fillable PDF forms with auto-generate fields on both Windows and Mac. Extraordinary, right?
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Cross-platform fillable PDF forms creation
- Convert any format (including web) into PDF and vice-versa
- Sign and fill feature
- Edit, correct, merge, annotate, comment, split, rotate, delete PDF files, and more
- Support for OCR technology
- Export to Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and more
- iCloud or Dropbox integration to save and store your PDFs directly into the cloud
- Create interactive forms with auto-generate text fields, checkboxes, and submit buttons
PDFpen ProPDFpen Pro is the ultimate Mac PDF aditor which allows you to create and edit fillable PDFs
Just as the previous tool on our list, the PDFelement by Wondershare is perfectly adapted to suit both Mac and Windows infrastructures and provide a top-notch PDF handling experience at the same time.
This software developer is all about delivering powerful features wrapped in simplistic, uncluttered and most of all, intuitive UI and the PDFelement makes no exception.
You can use this tool as a full-scale, standalone PDF editor and of course, the forms are particularly privileged since you can easily design and share forms and even edit and combine them for further analysis.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Create, edit and convert PDF documents
- Cross-platform and cross-device compatibility for unhindered mobility (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS)
- Design and publish forms
- Export in spreadsheet function
- Protect PDF documents to secure confidential information from unauthorized access
iSkysoft PDF Editor staying true to its name offers all the features that are required to create an editable PDF form.
In addition, it also comes with other sets of tools like the ability to convert PDFs, PDF password lock, and OCR scanning feature.
iSkysoft PDF Editor is a premium tool and comes in Standard and Professional edition. However, you can try the free trial which offers most of the features but puts a watermark.
iSkysoft PDF editor enabled you to edit PDF text while preserving the formatting and also lets you edit the PDF content like images and pages with insert, replace, crop, and extract options.
If you want to work with a scanned PDF, the OCR feature can extract data from any scanned PDF file.
Other features include PDF markup, annotation, freehand drawing, and stamp PDF that is useful to add business stamps.
The PDF files can be protected using passwords and encryption. It can also convert PDF files into Microsoft Office formats as well.
iSkysoft PDF Editor is a multi-function tool that involves a short learning curve but is reasonably priced.
Whether you are looking for PDF form makers to collect order payments, conduct online surveys, receive job applications or register guests for an event, we can help you out.
As you’ve seen, our above picks are a perfect match for the job. Therefore, which one is your choice?
Before leaving this page, do note that all these software tools are also suitable when looking for:
- Fillable PDF creator – The previously mentioned PDF editors offer all the necessary tools to create a professional-looking fillable PDF form instantly
- PDF creator form type – Both Icecream PDF Editor and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC offer basic PDF editing features, including fillable PDF creation or turning your existing forms into fillable PDF forms
Frequently Asked Questions
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and Icecream PDF Editor are just two of the industry’s leading software tools used to create editable PDF forms, so don’t hesitate to try them out.
Clicking on the document and pressing F9 should do the trick. For more tips, check out this detailed article on how to rotate PDFs in Microsoft Edge.
Read this thorough article dedicated to changing PDF security settings to learn how to do it.