- The Fire TV Stick is a handy device, as it can make a Smart TV out of your old TV in a cost-effective way with only an HDMI port and Internet.
- If the WLAN does not work, you should check your Internet connection. It may be that it is experiencing interference.
- Take a look at our dedicated Amazon Fire TV page for other helpful information on this topic.
- To learn more about the most common Wi-Fi problems and to find simple solutions, check out our dedicated Peripherals Hub.
It seems to be a very well known problem with the Fire TV Stick because many users cannot establish a WLAN connection. The reasons for this seem to be quite different.
That the Fire TV Stick causes problems seems to be not unknown. One of the biggest issues, besides the sound interruptions, seems to be the WLAN connection which is interrupted from time to time or cannot be established at all.
In the following lines of this article, you will learn how to solve WLAN problems with the Fire TV Stick in 7 simple ways.
How can I connect a Fire Stick to Wi-Fi?
1. Restart devices
- Disconnect both Fire TV Stick and the router completely from the power supply and wait for about 3 minutes.
- Now reconnect the router to the power supply and wait about one minute and then start the Fire TV Stick.
2. Check Fire TV Stick settings
You have to check if the Firestick is connected to one of the following network or router types:
- Open, WEP, WPA-PSK, and WPA2-PSK encrypted networks.
- B, G, and N routers on 2.4 GHz.
- A and N router on 5 GHz.
- Hidden networks.
Activate the wireless connection on the Fire TV Stick:
- Go to Settings, click on System, and open Wireless connection.
- Select the desired WLAN network first.
- Restart the router completely.
- Retry the connection.
3. Check WLAN signal strength
For an optimal connection, the router should not be too far away from the Fire TV Stick.
Note: Electrical devices, walls, and cabinets can affect reception quality.
4. Use an Ethernet cable
It is also recommended using the supplied power cable. Although some TV sets provide enough power to get the TV Stick working, it is generally recommended using the power connection.
5. Check network status
Note: If the Internet connection is causing problems, you may receive the error message Check your network status.
If you see the error mentioned above, go to Settings and then press the Play/Pause button on the remote control to check your network status.
6. Restart Fire TV Stick
- Using the remote control: press the Select and Playback buttons simultaneously until the Fire TV Stick restarts.
- Via the Fire Stick menu: open Settings, and click on System, then select Restart.
We hope that this guide has proven useful in your situation and that you managed to resume using your Fire TV stick as usual.
Feel free to let us know if you have any suggestions by using the comment section below.