- PDF files are some of the most versatile file formats in the world.
- Today we will show you how to fix Adobe Reader error 14 when trying to open PDF files.
- Need more help with Adobe products? Visit our dedicated Adobe Fix page.
- Is your PC giving you trouble in general? Our Fix section is filled with helpful articles.
Adobe Reader error 14 is an error message that pops up for some users when they try to open PDF documents. The full error message states: There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (14).
Consequently, users can’t open PDFs in AR when that error message pops up. Here are a few resolutions that might fix Adobe Reader error 14.
How can I fix Adobe Acrobat Reader error 14?
- Update Adobe Reader
- Repair the PDF File
- Open the PDF with alternative software
- Extract pages from the PDF
How do I fix Adobe Acrobat Reader error 14?
1. Update Adobe Reader
The Adobe Reader error 14 will often be due to outdated Adobe software. PDF documents set up with the most recent Adobe software won’t always open in earlier AR versions. Thus, updating your AR software to the latest version will probably fix the issue if there are updates available.
You can check for updates by opening Adobe Reader and clicking Help > Check for updates. That will open an updater window from which you can update the software.
In many cases, the version you have can still have issues after updating it as it has previous function errors. In this case, we strongly suggest you re-check the source of your software, and if it’s not from the official Adobe website, you should uninstall it and delete all its entries. After that, you can get a copy from the official website.
You can get the most updated AR version by downloading it for free from the official webpage.
Adobe Acrobat ReaderGet the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader and stop worrying about PDF files thatd on't work.
2. Repair the PDF File
The Adobe Reader error 14 error message might also pop up if the PDF file is in some way corrupted. Thus, you might need to repair the file to open it. You can repair PDF documents with Stellar PDF Repair.
Alternatively, follow the guidelines below to repair the PDF document with PDFaid.com.
- Download Stellar PDF Repair
- Install the product and then launch it
- Select the PDf file you want to repair, and click
- Wait for the software to finish the process, and then open the PDF file
Stellar Repair for PDFRepair all of your PDF files and restore their properties so that they can be usable again with this straightforward tool.
3. Open the PDF with alternative software
This resolution might not exactly be a fix, but there are plenty of alternatives to Adobe Reader. The document might open ok in alternative PDF software and browsers such as Edge.
Icecream PDF Editor is a notable software alternative that you can open PDF documents with. It is fast, lightweight, and a very good alternative PDF opener and editor.
Icecream PDF EditorIf you need a lightweight program to open and edit PDF files, then Icecream PDF Editor is the solution for you!
Some of those resolutions will probably fix Adobe Reader error 14 so that you can open the PDF. Some of the tips in this article might also fix PDF documents that don’t open in Adobe software.
4. Extract Pages from the PDF
Some users have confirmed that extracting pages from PDF documents can fix Adobe Reader error 14. Then you’ll need to open the pages separately in Adobe Reader after extracting them.
This is how you can extract pages from PDFs with the Sejda PDF extractor.
- Click here to open the Sejda PDF extractor in a browser.
- Press the Upload PDF files button to select a document on HDD.
- Or you can click the small arrow to select to a file from Google Drive or Dropbox.
- Then select the pages to extract from the document by clicking their thumbnail images.
- Press the Extract pages button.
- A window then opens from which you can click Download to save the extracted PDF.
By following any of these steps or using any of the software solutions listed below, you should now be able to fix any PDF-related issues.
Let us know what solution you used of which product helped you most by giving us your feedback in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.