- How can I fix Adobe Acrobat Reader error 14?
- You can check for updates by opening Adobe Reader and clicking Help > Check for updates.
- Open the PDF With Alternative Software This resolution might not exactly be a fix, but there are plenty of alternatives to Adobe Reader.
- Foxit Reader is notable freeware alternative that you can open PDF documents with.
How can I fix Adobe Acrobat Reader error 14?
- Update Adobe Reader
- Repair the PDF File
- Extract Pages From the PDF
- Open the PDF With Alternative Software
Adobe Reader error 14 is an error message that pops up for some users when they try to open PDF documents. The full error message states: There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (14).
Consequently, users can’t open PDFs in AR when that error message pops up. Here are a few resolutions that might fix Adobe Reader error 14.
SOLVED: Adobe Acrobat Reader error 14
1. Update Adobe Reader
The Adobe Reader error 14 will often be due to outdated Adobe software. PDF documents set up with the most recent Adobe software won’t always open in earlier AR versions. Thus, updating your AR software to the latest version will probably fix the issue if there are updates available.
You can check for updates by opening Adobe Reader and clicking Help > Check for updates. That will open an updater window from which you can update the software.
In many cases, the version you have can still have issues after updating it as it has previous function errors. In this case, we strongly suggest you re-check the source of your software, and if it’s not from the official Adobe website, you should uninstall it and delete all its entries. After that, you can get a copy from the official website.
You can get the most updated AR version by downloading it for free from the official webpage.
2. Repair the PDF File
The Adobe Reader error 14 error message might also pop up if the PDF file is in some way corrupted. Thus, you might need to repair the file to open it. You can repair PDF documents with the DataNumen PDF software. Alternatively, follow the guidelines below to repair the PDF document with PDFaid.com.
- First, click here to open the PDFaid.com web utility in your browser.
- Press the Select the PDF File button on that page.
- Then select the document that doesn’t open in Adobe Reader.
- You can enter some optional PDF properties in the text boxes.
- Click Repair PDF to repair the document.
- Then you can click Download PDF to save the repaired document.
3. Extract Pages From the PDF
Some users have confirmed that extracting pages from PDF documents can fix Adobe Reader error 14. Then you’ll need to open the pages separately in Adobe Reader after extracting them. This is how you can extract pages from PDFs with the Sejda PDF extractor.
- Click here to open the Sejda PDF extractor in a browser.
- Press the Upload PDF files button to select a document on HDD.
- Or you can click the small arrow to select to a file from Google Drive or Dropbox.
- Then select the pages to extract from the document by clicking their thumbnail images.
- Press the Extract pages button.
- A window then opens from which you can click Download to save the extracted PDF.
4. Open the PDF With Alternative Software
This resolution might not exactly be a fix, but there are plenty of alternatives to Adobe Reader. The document might open ok in alternative PDF software and browsers such as Edge. Foxit Reader is notable freeware alternative that you can open PDF documents with. Click the Free Foxit Reader button on this webpage to check it out.
Universal file opener (UFO) software also opens a wide variety of files. Thus, a universal file viewer might also open the PDF document that you can’t open in AR. This software guide provides further details for UFOs.
Some of those resolutions will probably fix Adobe Reader error 14 so that you can open the PDF. Some of the tips in this article might also fix PDF documents that don’t open in Adobe software.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to unblock Adobe Flash content in Edge, Google Chrome and Firefox
- How to fix Adobe Reader error 109
- Fix: PDF files not printing properly in Windows 10