- Many users have reported that their PC's Bluetooth doesn't detect other devices.
- If you too have this problem, check out the article below written by our experts.
- We have a Bluetooth Fix Hub, filled with similar guides, so check those out as well.
- For PC issues related to other causes, head over to our Troubleshooting section instead.
Microsoft gave away Windows 10 for free only as an upgrade for Windows10, so if you wanted to do a fresh Windows 10 install you had to spend the usual $200+ that every Windows release demands.
The trouble comes in when the upgrade doesn’t go as you expect it to – it’s supposed to be an easy thing to go through, all you have to do is watch it work, but things don’t always go as planned behind the scenes.
This is why a fresh install is always recommended over an upgrade, however since this time people were bound by Microsoft themselves to this upgrade process, that’s what people opted for.
No worries, there are some fixes for this, which don’t involve a complete reinstall of Windows. Let’s give them a shot.
How do I fix a Windows 10 Bluetooth that doesn’t find devices?
Many users use Bluetooth on daily basis, but sometimes Bluetooth is not finding devices at all.
Regarding Bluetooth problems, here are some similar issues that users reported:
- Bluetooth not detecting, recognizing devices Windows 10 – If this problem occurs, try restarting the Bluetooth Support service and check if that helps.
- Bluetooth not working Windows 10 – Many users claim that Bluetooth isn’t working at all on their PC. However, you can fix the issue by reinstalling your Bluetooth drivers or simply by updating them.
- Bluetooth not finding headphones, Fitbit, UE Boom, Beats, JBL, keyboard – This problem can occur with various devices, and in order to fix it, be sure to check if you’re pairing the device properly with your PC.
- Bluetooth not connecting – If Bluetooth isn’t connecting, the issue could be your Wi-Fi. Some devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in a single card, and in order to fix the problem, you just have to temporarily disable Wi-Fi.
- Bluetooth not discovering devices – This is another problem that you can encounter with Bluetooth, but you should be able to fix it by running Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
1. Try reinstalling your Bluetooth drivers
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu.
- Now navigate to Device Manager.
- Locate the device that is giving you problems, right-click it, and choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- When the confirmation dialog appears, click Uninstall.
- Now just click Scan for hardware changes icon and Windows should automatically install the missing drivers.
If Bluetooth is not finding devices, the problem might be related to your drivers. To fix this problem, users are suggesting to reinstall your Bluetooth devices.
Alter reinstalling your drivers, the issue should be resolved. Several users claim that their Bluetooth drivers can cause this issue to appear, but after reinstalling their Bluetooth drivers, the problem was completely resolved.
In addition to reinstalling your drivers, you might want to try using the official drivers from the manufacturer.
Simply visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your Bluetooth adapter and the issue will be resolved.
Update drivers automatically
On the flip-side, if all of the steps mentioned above sound like too much, then you should go for a dedicated driver fixer and updater instead, one like DriverFix.
DriverFix is an excellent solution to solve your Bluetooth issues because it can update its drivers if they are too old, or fix them if they are broken or missing.
Simply download the program, install it, and launch it. Everything from that point onward is pretty much automated, as you only need to confirm which drivers to fix.
Then simply restart your PC like after any other update, and your Bluetooth drivers should be working well now.
DriverFixOnce your updated or fixed your Bluetooth drivers with DriverFix, finding devices should no longer be an issue.
2. Add the Bluetooth device again
- Press Windows Key + S and enter control panel.
- Now choose Control Panel from the list.
- Now find the Hardware and Sound category and find the Bluetooth devices page.
- Select the device that is not working and remove it.
- Now click Add and add the device back again.
If that doesn’t work, try this on the same page as method 1.
- On the Bluetooth devices page, click the Options tab.
- If unchecked, check the box that says Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer.
After making these changes, check if the problem is resolved.
3. Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app.
- The fastest way to do that is to use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Choose Hardware and Devices and click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Windows has all sorts of built-in troubleshooters that can help you fix common problems automatically.
If Bluetooth is not finding devices, you might be able to fix this issue by using Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
After the troubleshooter is finished, check if the problem with Bluetooth devices is still there. This isn’t the most reliable solution, but it should be able to help you with some common Bluetooth issues.
4. Restart Bluetooth service
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc.
- Now press Enter or click OK.
- Locate Bluetooth Support Service and double-click it to open its properties.
- If the service isn’t running, click the Start button to start it.
- If the service is running, stop it, start it again and click Apply and OK to save changes.
In order for Bluetooth to work properly, you need to have certain services running, such as Bluetooth Support service. If there are any issues with this service, you might not be able to find Bluetooth devices.
However, you can fix this problem simply by restarting this service. After restarting this service, the issue should be resolved and everything will start working again.
5. Make sure that you’re properly pairing your devices
If Bluetooth is not finding devices, the problem might be related to the pairing process. In order for your device to be discovered by Bluetooth, it’s important that you pair it properly.
The pairing process differs depending on the device, but most devices have a Bluetooth pairing button.
Some devices use the Power button for pairing, and one short press will power on your device. However, a long press will start the pairing process and pair your device with your PC.
To see how to properly pair your Bluetooth device, be sure to check your instruction manual for detailed instructions.
6. Disconnect all Bluetooth devices
Sometimes other Bluetooth devices can prevent you from finding other Bluetooth devices. If that’s the case, users are suggesting to disable all Bluetooth devices and try to pair only the desired devices.
This isn’t the best solution, but several users claim that it worked for them, so be sure to try it out.
7. Connect the Bluetooth adapter to a different USB port
Many desktop PCs don’t have Bluetooth support, and the only way to get Bluetooth functionality is to use a Bluetooth adapter.
However, sometimes Bluetooth is not finding devices at all, and that can be a problem.
If this happens, try connecting your Bluetooth adapter to a different USB port. Users reported issues while using a USB 3.0 port, but after connecting the adapter to USB 2.0 port, the problem was completely resolved.
8. Disable Wi-Fi
Some laptops have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on a single card, and that can sometimes cause problems. If Bluetooth is not finding devices, try disabling your Wi-Fi adapter and check if that helps.
Several users reported that this solution worked for them, so you might want to try it.
Alternatively, you might want to consider purchasing a Bluetooth adapter.
They are usually cheap and you can get a decent Bluetooth adapter for about $10 and permanently fix this issue.
Not being able to find Bluetooth devices can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix this problem using our solutions.