- Roblox is an MMO sandbox game where players can enjoy a vast collection of arcade mini-games, world-building and custom scenarios.
- It is important to keep your games up to date in order to benefit from the latest patches and features, but if you have problems updating Roblox, this guide will help you fix this issue.
- For more content on online games, including Roblox, visit our dedicated page where you will find fixes and reviews for the hottest titles.
- Roblox has seen its share of errors and with new ones being reported by users all the time, our Roblox page is the best place to keep up to date with all of them.
Roblox is one of the most popular games in the world, with 9 million active monthly users. This game is the definition for ‘multiplatform’ since it’s available on almost all systems out there.
One of the common errors appears when the game starts, as users are unable to update the game to the latest release.
This can be an issue, as you’ll need the latest version in order to play. Luckily, there are some solutions you can try out and we made sure to enlist them below.
How to fix Roblox update errors on Windows 10
- Restart the PC
- Check for connection issues
- Try updating the game in a browser
- Clear app’s cache
- Run Windows troubleshooter
- Reinstall the game
1. Restart the PC
First things first. Restarting your PC and accessing the app again should resolve update issues more often than not. A majority of bugs and glitches in Roblox are easily addressed by restarting the game.
Since the updates are automatically distributed after you start the game, trying multiple times might help.
In addition, we suggest signing out and signing in. This is a long shot but might help occasionally. Finally, if the issue persists, we suggest the following additional steps we provided below.
2. Check for connection issues
As we already said, Roblox updates are administered automatically. And, since the updating procedure asks for a free and unprecedented connection, you’ll need to check firewall and router settings.
Namely, Roblox requires a stable connection at all times, and it’s important to allow it to communicate freely through the Windows Firewall.
Follow these steps to add Roblox to list of allowed apps in Windows Firewall:
- In the Windows Search bar, type Firewall, and open Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Click Change settings.
- Allow Roblox to communicate freely by checking both boxes.
- Confirm changes and restart your PC.
- Start Roblox again.
In addition, don’t forget to troubleshoot the connection. Here are some common steps you can take to resolve possible connection issues:
- Use a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi.
- Restart your router.
- Manage router settings. Make sure ports are open, enable UPnP and QoS if available.
- Disable VPN or Proxy for the time being.
- Update the router’s firmware.
3. Try updating the game in a browser
This doesn’t affect the desktop version, but at least you’ll easier determine whether the problem is mutual or it’s exclusively present on the desktop UWP version.
Updating Roblox in a browser is completely the same as the updating in the desktop app is. Just open the Roblox web-client and log in. After the game starts, all available updates will be administered automatically.
In case the web client won’t comply, we suggest clearing the browser’s cache and, eventually, even switching to an alternative.
If you’re not sure how to clear the cache on 3 major browsers, follow the steps we provided below:
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
- Press Shift + Ctrl + Delete to open the Clear browsing data menu.
- Select All time as the preferred time range.
- Delete Cookies, Cached Images and Files, and other site data. Focus on Cookies, as deleting those is of the utmost importance.
- Click on the Clear Data button.
If one browser won’t work due to certain limitations, try out another. Just, don’t forget to grant all needed permissions to Roblox in order to successfully start and enjoy the game.
4. Clear app’s cache
While we’re mentioning cache, you can clear the app’s cache, as well. All Windows apps store chunks of application data in order to speed up the loading and preserve certain configuration inputs.
However, the cached data tend to pile up quickly and it might slow down the game or, in this case, prevent updating.
If you’re not sure how to clear the cache from Roblox app, these are the steps you should follow:
- Close the game.
- Navigate to C:/ Users / (Your Windows Username) / AppDataLocal.
- Delete the Roblox folder and restart your PC. You might need the administrative permission to do so.
- Restart your PC.
5. Run Windows troubleshooter
Even though this is a long shot, the dedicated troubleshooter just might help. One of the previous iterations of Windows 10 brought a unified troubleshooting tool.
This tool, due to the growing importance of Microsoft Store and the UWP concept, has a dedicated troubleshooter for everything concerning Microsoft Store and its respective apps.
Since the UWP version of Roblox is under the siege, running the troubleshooter just might suffice.
Moreover, if the error isn’t addressed, you’ll know whether the game is the one to blame or it’s something else.
Follow these steps to run Windows troubleshooter:
- Right-click on Start and open Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Scroll to the bottom and expand the Windows Store apps troubleshooter.
- Run the troubleshooter and follow the instructions.
6. Reinstall the game
Finally, if none of the previous steps proved helpful, reinstalling the game completely might help you. Now, some users advised clean reinstallation.
By their own words, they uninstalled the app and cleared all remaining data with iObit Uninstaller, including registry entries. After that, they downloaded and installed the game again.
Seemingly, after this procedure, the game started normally including updates. On the other hand, if even then you’re still stuck with the error, posting the ticket on the dedicated bug-reporting forum might help.
In the end, don’t forget to ask a question or provide alternatives to our solutions. You can do so in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because your internet connection is not stable or your browser is not up to date. Additionally, you could have corrupted files.
Firstly, make sure you have a steady internet connection, then update your browser to the latest version. If you are using the Microsoft Store app, then try to reset Roblox. In the end, you should reinstall Roblox if nothing else has worked.
Yes, Roblox will work on Windows 10. You can download it from either the official Roblox website or from the Microsoft Store. We do not recommend downloading it from third party sources.
There could be a problem with your internet connection. We discuss this issue, along with many others in our complete guide on fixing Roblox update errors.
Yes, Roblox will work on Windows 10 as well as other platforms. Make sure you download the latest version of Roblox when you install it.