- Roblox is an MMO sandbox game where players can enjoy a vast collection of arcade mini-games, world-building and custom scenarios.
- It is important to keep your games up to date in order to benefit from the latest patches and features, but if you have problems updating Roblox, this guide will help you fix this issue.
- Sometimes a simple PC reboot can fix the issue, otherwise, you may want to check your connection.
- We also give you step-by-step instructions for other workarounds, both for PC and Mac users, so keep reading.
Roblox is one of the most popular games in the world, with 9 million active monthly users. This game is the definition of multiplatform since it’s available on almost all systems out there.
The game can also be played either directly from the app or in-browser if you use a Mac computer. However, Roblox isn’t flawless.
One of the most common errors appears when the game starts and is not able to install the Roblox update required to run the latest release.
When an app like Roblox won’t update chances are that you will enocunter all sorts of bugs and errors, so it is important to overcome this issue.
Luckily, there are some solutions you can try out and learn how do you update Roblox on a computer. Find them in the handy list below.
How to fix Roblox update errors on Windows 10
- Restart the PC
- Check for connection issues
- Try updating the game in a browser
- Clear app’s cache
- Run Windows troubleshooter
- Reinstall the game
1. Restart the PC
First things first. Restarting your PC and accessing the app again should resolve update issues more often than not. A majority of bugs and glitches in Roblox are easily addressed by restarting the game.
Since the updates are automatically distributed after you start the game, trying multiple times might help.
In addition, we suggest signing out and signing in. This is a long shot but might help occasionally. Finally, if the issue persists, we suggest the following additional steps we provided below.
2. Check for connection issues
As we already said, Roblox updates are administered automatically. And, since the updating procedure asks for a free and unprecedented connection, you’ll need to check firewall and router settings.
Namely, Roblox requires a stable connection at all times, and it’s important to allow it to communicate freely through the Windows Firewall.
Follow these steps to add Roblox to list of allowed apps in Windows Firewall:
- In the Windows Search bar, type allow an app, and open Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Click Change settings.
- Allow Roblox to communicate freely by checking both boxes.
- Confirm changes and restart your PC.
- Start Roblox again.
In addition, don’t forget to troubleshoot the connection. Here are some common steps you can take to resolve possible connection issues:
- Use a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi.
- Restart your router.
- Manage router settings. Make sure ports are open and enable UPnP and QoS if available.
- Disable VPN or Proxy for the time being.
- Update the router’s firmware.
3. Try updating the game in a browser
This doesn’t affect the desktop version, but at least you’ll easier determine whether the problem is mutual or it’s exclusively present on the desktop UWP version.
If you don’t know how to update Roblox in website using a browser, dont worry because the process is very similar to the desktop app.
Open the Roblox web client and log in. When the game starts, all updates available will be administered automatically.
In case the web client won’t comply, we suggest clearing the browser’s cache and, eventually, even switching to an alternative. Browsers like Opera GX that are gaming-optimized may perform way better.
If you’re not sure how to clear the cache on 3 major browsers, follow the steps we provided below:
➡️ Google Chrome
- Open the Chrome Application.
- Click on the three dots at the top right to open the More menu.
- Select More Tools and then Clear Browsing Data.
- To delete everything, select All time. Otherwise, choose a time range.
- Check the boxes next to Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files.
- Select Clear data and wait for the process to complete.
- At top right, click the Menu button.
- Select Settings.
- Select the Privacy and Security panel.
- Scroll to Cookies and site data and click on the Clear data button.
- Tick the boxes for Cookies and Site Data and Cached Web Content and then click on Clear.
If one browser won’t work due to certain limitations, try out another. Just, don’t forget to grant all needed permissions to Roblox in order to successfully start and enjoy the game.
If you are worried about deleting certain browsing data, use a dedicated utility like CCleaner. It sorts your browsing data into more specific categories and you can easily select what exactly you want to remove and keep.
4. Clear the app’s cache
While we’re mentioning cache, you can clear the app’s cache, as well. All Windows apps store chunks of application data in order to speed up the loading and preserve certain configuration inputs.
However, the cached data tend to pile up quickly and it might slow down the game or, in this case, prevent updating.
If you’re not sure how to clear the cache from Roblox app, these are the steps you should follow:
- Close the game.
- Navigate to C:/ Users / (Your Windows Username) / AppDataLocal.
- Delete the Roblox folder and restart your PC. You might need administrative permission to do so.
- Restart your PC.
5. Run Windows troubleshooter
Even though this is a long shot, the dedicated troubleshooter just might help. One of the previous iterations of Windows 10 brought a unified troubleshooting tool.
This tool, due to the growing importance of Microsoft Store and the UWP concept, has a dedicated troubleshooter for everything concerning Microsoft Store and its respective apps.
Since the UWP version of Roblox is under siege, running the troubleshooter just might suffice.
Moreover, if the error isn’t addressed, you’ll know whether the game is the one to blame or it’s something else.
Follow these steps to run Windows troubleshooter:
- Right-click on Start and open Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Scroll to the bottom and expand the Windows Store apps troubleshooter.
- Run the troubleshooter and follow the instructions.
6. Reinstall the game
Finally, if none of the previous steps proved helpful, reinstalling the game completely might help you. Now, some users advised clean reinstallation.
In their own words, they uninstalled the app and cleared all remaining data with memory cleaner software, including registry entries. After that, they downloaded and installed the game again.
Seemingly, after this procedure, the game started normally including updates. On the other hand, if even then you’re still stuck with the error, posting the ticket on the dedicated bug-reporting forum might help.
If you use a different OS and wonder how to update Roblox on a PC with Windows 7, you will be happy to know that the above-mentioned steps to apply in that case too.
In the end, don’t forget to ask a question or provide alternatives to our solutions. You can do so in the comments section below.
How to fix Roblox update errors on Mac
- Run Roblox from your browser
- Uninstall/reinstall Roblox
- Check the Roblox version compatibility with your OS
- Change the Safari browser with another supported option
- Launch Roblox from the dock
- Reset your Roblox settings
1. Run Roblox from your web browser
- Log into your Mac account using your browser.
- Find the game in the list of the apps you own.
- Run Roblox by clicking Play.
Note: This will install the latest version of the Roblox player on your system, and should allow you to continue playing.
2. Uninstall/reinstall Roblox
- Open a task management prompt by pressing the Command + Option + Esc keys.
- Search the list for Roblox or Roblox Studio.
- Select each of them and click Force Quit.
- Open Finder and click on Applications.
- Click and drag the Roblox icon to the trash.
- Press the Command + Shift + Delete key combination to empty the trash.
- Open Safari.
- Log into your Roblox account and play a game.
- A prompt will appear regarding installing the application.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
Remove all remaining Roblox files
- Open the Library folder.
- Navigate to the following paths and clean any remaining files:
- /Library/Application Support/
- /Library/ Preferences/
Note: Make sure not to delete any unknown items, as this could cause your system some more problems.
3. Check the Roblox version compatibility with your OS
Roblox Client will only work on a 10.7 Lion OS or higher versions, with Macs that have an Intel chipset, and Roblox Studio will install only on Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite and above.
If this set of criteria is not being met, then this might explain the issues you’re having with running Roblox on Mac optimally.
4. Change the Safari browser with another supported option
Try some other browser if you experienced this issue using Safari. You can find lightweight browsers for Mac that are fully supported by Roblox.
You can choose from Opera GX, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome.
5. Launch Roblox from the Dock
If you encounter this issue while playing the game from the website, launching Roblox from the Dock could prove helpful. If this method doesn’t help. follow the next step.
6. Reset your Roblox settings
- Navigate to Library.
- Click on Preferences.
- Delete all the Roblox com files.
Note: When Roblox Studio/Player is launched, these files will be automatically reinstalled.
This guide covers all the steps required to fix the dreaded error while trying to update Roblox on Windows, and on Mac.
We hope this guide has proven helpful in your situation, and that you managed to return to playing the game normally.
Additionally, if you were looking for solutions that will help you start the game, check our guide on what you can do if you encounter the An error occurred while starting Roblox message.
For more content on online games, including Roblox, visit our dedicated page where you will find fixes and reviews for the hottest titles.
Roblox has seen its share of errors and with new ones being reported by users all the time, our Roblox page is the best place to keep up to date with all of them.
If you want to share your opinion with us don’t hesitate to use the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Windows 11 users should have no issues installing and running Roblox, the game is fully compatible.
The process is very similar to what you do in Windows 10. Just make sure your browser is updated to its latest version and you have a steady Internet connection. You can update it from the web or from the Microsoft Store.
The game continues to grow in popularity, but it has faced some serious issues so far. Roblox has been down in multiple worldwide regions, with the most recent outage being on May 3rd and 4th of 2022. The issue is being addressed as we speak and some users report being able to reaccess the game.