- Roblox is a popular online experience where players can enjoy millions of adventures, mini-games, and worlds created by other people.
- You can download Roblox from the Microsoft Store and join the millions of players worldwide. However, if you are having trouble launching Roblox, then have a look at our guide to fixing it.
- Startup errors happen both for the web and desktop applications and are generally linked to your Internet connection.
If you too are confronted with the error message and wonder how to fix the An error occurred while starting Roblox issue, chances are that there are some problems with your connection.
We made sure to find the most common culprits that cause this error and comprised the following easy-to-follow guide to help you overcome it.
Roblox is a game creation platform with which you can design your own games or play games designed by other Roblox users.
Why does Roblox keep saying an error occurred while starting?
This is a common error message that Roblox players get when they have a poor Internet connection. It can be caused by problems with your ISP, but also network configuration issues.
Many users report having this problem after changing their router settings. We can only conclude that they may have mistakenly blocked access to Roblox, in which case a simple reset to default should help.
On the same note, it is also possible that your Proxy settings block the app, or your Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) is corrupt.
It is also possible that the Roblox servers are down, in which case you will just have to be patient until they solve the problem. You can check the Roblox Downdetector page to see if there’s currently any outage.
Third-party applications such as antiviruses or firewalls may also interfere, so make sure you check and adjust your security settings.
How to fix Roblox start errors?
- Reset Your Router
- Deselect the Proxy Server Setting
- Reset TCP-IP with Netsh
- Turn Off Antivirus Software
- Add Roblox to the Windows Firewall’s Allowed Apps List
- Reinstall Roblox
1. Reset Your Router
Resetting the router is a straightforward fix that some Roblox users have confirmed to work. As Roblox requires a net connection to run, it’s not entirely surprising that a router reset can fix the error occurred while starting message. So press the reset button on your router to reset it.
- Some Roblox users have got Roblox started by deselecting the proxy server setting in Windows. To deselect that option in Windows 10, press Cortana’s Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Enter the keyword Internet options to open the Network status window below.
- Select the Connections tab
- Press the LAN settings button
- Deselect the Use a proxy server for your LAN option if it’s selected.
- Then press the OK button to close the window
3. Reset TCP-IP with Netsh
- Type cmd in the taskbar and open the Command prompt.
- Enter the following command:
netsh int ip reset c:esetlo.txtand press Enter.
- Wait for the Command Prompt to finish and restart your PC.
This error can also be caused by a corrupt Internet Protocol Suite (commonly known as TCP/IP). Use the command above and then try to start Roblox again.
4. Turn Off Antivirus Software
As mentioned, Roblox needs a connection to start. So, it might be the case that antivirus software is blocking Roblox. Switching anti-virus software off will ensure that doesn’t happen.
Numerous anti-virus utilities include disabling options on their system tray context menus that you can select to temporarily turn off the antivirus software.
Alternatively, you can certainly select to disable most antivirus packages via their primary windows. Open the antivirus utility’s main window and browse through its settings menu, which will probably include a disable or a turn-off option.
5. Add Roblox to the Windows Firewall’s Allowed Apps List
The Roblox error occurred while starting error might also be due to Windows Defender Firewall. Some users have fixed the issue by adding Roblox to the Windows Defender Firewall’s allowed apps list. This is how you can add Roblox to the firewall’s allowed apps list in Windows 10.
- Type Windows Defender Firewall in the taskbar search box and open the panel.
- Select Allow an app through Windows Defender Firewall to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Press the Change settings button.
- Press the Allow another app button to open the Add app window.
- Click Browse and select to add Roblox.
- Press the Add button to add Roblox to the apps list.
- Make sure you’ve selected both Roblox’s checkboxes on the allowed apps list.
- Then click the OK option.
6. Reinstall Roblox
Reinstalling Roblox can also fix a few of its error messages. The app may have become corrupt over time, so a fresh reinstall can overcome that.
- Type add or remove in the taskbar to open the Add or Remove Programs settings panel.
- Locate Roblox, select it, and then click the Uninstall button.
Wait for the process to complete and reboot our PC.
If you want to make sure all files related to Roblox are gone, you can use a dedicated uninstaller software that will find and delete all registry entries and other junk files.
- To reinstall the application, open the Microsoft Store app and search for Roblox.
- Click on it and select Install. Wait for the process to complete and try to launch it again.
If you have other problems with the game, you can check our more in depth-guide that helps you fix common Roblox errors.
Roblox is an online game, which happens to be one of our favorite genres of games. We’re constantly writing about the latest news in the world of MMOs and if you want to be kept updated, then head over to our dedicated page!
Experiencing even more problems with Roblox? Or are you interested in the latest news about this game? We have a page dedicated to it so make sure you bookmark it.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can fix most errors by following our guide on the most common Roblox errors. If Roblox fails to start, go through the fixes listed above to fix the game.
You will have to uninstall Roblox and delete any residual files from your computer. To do this, delete any Roblox files from the AppData folder. You can also use a PC cleaner software to help you with that.
You can uninstall Roblox from the Add or remove programs settings panel, or from the Microsoft Store. We recommend using a specialized uninstaller to completely remove Roblox from your system.