- The Donnell error message is one that occasionally pops up when installing or running games in Windows 10.
- If you already tried running a SFC scan and nothing changed, this guide will help you get past the troubleshooting steps.
- Get additional fixing tips from our dedicated DLL Errors page.
- Don't forget to bookmark our Windows 10 Errors Hub for quick answers to all issues related to your operating system.
The Donnell error message is one that occasionally pops up when installing or running games in Windows 10.
When that error occurs, an ISDone.dll error message pops up along the lines of An error occurred while unpacking: archive corrupted. Unarc.dll returned an error code: -7.
The error message can vary slightly, but it’s always included within an ISDone.dll dialog box window. When it pops up, you can’t install or run the game.
How can I fix ISDone.dll errors on Windows 10?
- Double-Check the Game’s System Requirements
- Run a System File Scan
- Install the Game in Windows Safe Mode
- Expand the Paging Filing
- Switch Off Anti-Virus Software
- Disable the Windows Firewall
- Re-register the ISDone.dll
1. Double-Check the game’s System Requirements
First, double-check your laptop or desktop meets all the game‘s system requirements. Check that your laptop or desktop meets the minimum RAM system specification and that your hard drive has enough free space for the game.
If there isn’t enough free HDD space, uninstall some programs to free up some more HDD space.
Also, note that you’ll need a 64-bit Windows platform to run a game that’s only compatible with 64-bit platforms. If your platform is 32-bit, double-check the game‘s Windows platform specification.
If you want to know how to tell the difference between a 32-bit app and a 64-bit one, read this quick article and learn everything there is to know about the subject.
You can check your own system type as follows.
- Open the Cortana app by pressing the Cortana button on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Enter the keyword ‘system’ in the search box.
- Then select About your PC to open the window directly below.
- Scroll down to the System type detail listed there.
2. Run a System File Scan
If the issue is in any way due to system files, the System File Checker tool might resolve the error. System File Checker is a tool included in Windows 10 that scans for and repairs corrupted system files.
In addition, you can also utilise the Deployment Image Servicing tool via the Command Prompt. This is how you can utilise the SFC and DISM tools in Windows 10.
- Open the Command Prompt by pressing the Win key + X hotkey. Then you can select Command Prompt (Admin) on the menu.
- Next, enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in the Prompt; and press the Return key.
- After the running the Deployment Image Servicing utility, enter sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt prompt and press Return.
- The SFC scan will probably take about 30 minutes. When it’s done, restart Windows if Windows Resource Protection repairs files.
3. Install the game in Windows Safe Mode
Only essential system programs and services run in Windows Safe Mode. Starting Windows in Safe Mode frees up RAM and minimizes potential third-party software conflicts with the game‘s installer.
As such, installing the game in Safe Mode might resolve the ISDone.dll error. You can start Windows 10 in Safe Mode as follows.
- Press the Win key + R to open Run.
- Input ‘MSConfig‘ in Run’s text box and click OK to open the System Configuration window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click the Boot tab in the shot below.
- Then select the Safe boot check box and the Minimal radio button.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons.
- Then select Restart to reboot Windows in Safe Mode.
- Thereafter, install the game that’s returning the ISDone.dll error.
- Remember to deselect the Safe boot option before you restart Windows.
4. Expand the Paging Filing
Expanding the paging filing will increase the amount of virtual memory. That expands the amount of hard drive space for virtual memory, which comes in handy when RAM is limited.
Thus, this could be a potential fix that might resolve insufficient RAM. This is how you can expand the paging filing in Windows 10.
- First, enter sysdm.cpl in Run’s text box and click OK to open the window directly below.
- Click the Advanced tab on that window.
- Press the Settings button for Performance to open the window shown in the shot below.
- Then select the Advanced tab, and press the Change button. That button will open the window directly below.
- Deselect the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option if it’s selected.
- Select the Custom size radio button.
- Now you can enter a higher value in the Initial size text box than what is listed as the currently allocated value.
- The Maximum size value you can enter depends on how much RAM your laptop or desktop includes. Windows will restrict your page filing to three times the amount of RAM (about 12,000 MB for four GB RAM).
- Press the OK button to close the window.
5. Switch Off Anti-Virus Software
Anti-virus software might block some games from installing. So disabling third-party anti-virus might also fix the ISDone.dll error.
Many anti-virus utilities include a disable or turn off option on their system context menus with which you can temporarily switch them off. Windows Safe Mode might also disable third-party anti-virus software.
6. Disable the Windows Firewall
- Windows Firewall might also block a genuine game from installing. You can switch the Windows Firewall off by entering ‘Windows Defender Firewall’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open the window shown directly below.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the settings below.
- Select both the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall radio buttons and click OK.
7. Re-register the ISDone.dll
Re-registering DLLs is one way you can repair corrupted DLLs. In this case, you might need to re-register the ISDone and Unarc DLLs. You can re-register those DLLs as follows.
- Enter ‘Command Prompt’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Input ‘regsvr32 Isdone.dll’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Then enter ‘regsvr32 unarc.dll’ in the Prompt’s window, and press the Return key.
One, or more, of those resolutions might fix the ISDone.dll error so that you can install and run the required game. In addition, adding new RAM and erasing temporary files with the Disk Clean-up utility might also resolve the error message.
If you have any further suggestions for fixing the ISDone.dll error, please share them below.
FAQ: Learn more about .DLL errors
- What is Isdone DLL?
The Isdone. dll is a Dynamic Link Library file that your PC uses in order to complete tasks, mainly read installation archive files. DLL files are grouped under the Registry.
- What causes Isdone DLL error?
DLL errors can be caused by various issues like short storage capacity (RAM / HDD), corruption, overwriting or deleting a DLL file, hardware issues or Registry issues.
- How can I fix ISDone. dll errors on Windows 10?
In order to fix this error, double-check the game’s System Requirements and run a System File Scan first. Then, try to install the game in Safe Mode, expand the Paging Filing and switch off your antivirus and/or your firewall.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.