- For Honor is a popular action video game released by Ubisoft in 2017. This game lets you pick a hero from various factions (knights, Vikings, and samurais), and fight your enemies.
- Like many other online games, For Honor is subject to certain technical issues including high ping, network congestion, jitter, and packet loss.
- Check out our best VPNs that can improve your in-game ping.
- Visit our Gaming Hub if you want to discover more reviews, news, and guides.
VPN Summer sale (83% off!)
Last chance to catch this awesome VPN deal: 1.99$ per month for the Surfshark VPN (available only this week). Surfshark VPN comes with the following features:
For Honor is a popular action video game released by Ubisoft in 2017. The game gathered quite some traction in the past few years thanks to its intuitive combat system that took fighting games to a whole nother level.
In For Honor you can pick a hero from various factions (knights, Vikings, and samurais), and wreak havoc to your enemies. Imagine a medieval fighting game that uses a third-person perspective.
Add a bunch of objectives, an awesome combat system, perks, and AI minions, and you got For Honor.
What is packet loss in For Honor?
Like many other online games, For Honor is subject to certain technical issues including high ping, network congestion, jitter, and packet loss. The latter is what we’re going to focus on today.
Packet loss occurs whenever some of the packets that you send and/or receive never make it to their destination. Thus, instead of receiving the full set of data, the destination (you or the server) retrieves only a part of it.
This situation triggers a series of subsequent issues, depending on the gravity (i.e. how high the packet loss count is).
Some of them include high lag/latency, rubberbanding, in-game slowdowns, no responsiveness, and even crashes or connection timeouts.
More often than not, network congestion is the main culprit when it comes to packet loss. In which case, the wisest way to tackle this challenge would be simply waiting it out.
However, if you can’t afford wasting time waiting for the packet loss situation to fix itself, here’s how you can take care of it yourself.
How to fix high packet loss in For Honor?
1. Use a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access and install it on your PC
- Launch it and log into your account
- Connect to a server of your choice (make sure it’s a low ping one)
- Relaunch For Honor
- Check if the problem still persists
Private Internet Access is an excellent VPN service from Kape Technologies that can help you improve packet loss in no time. Usually, all it takes is launching it and connecting it to a random server.
Private Internet AccessExperiencing For Honor packet loss? PIA could be of help.
However, note that if the packet loss issue doesn’t occur on your ISP’s side, using a VPN won’t do much. Thus, it won’t work if you’re the one leaking packets or if the game server has high packet loss.
It’s worth mentioning that using a VPN can also improve your ping, boost your privacy, secure your connection, and even circumvent geoblocking.
Therefore, even if it doesn’t solve packet loss, it’s still a wise decision to invest in a trustworthy VPN.
2. Troubleshoot the connection manually
- Run a packet loss test using the pathping x.x.x.x (replace x.x.x.x with the server’s IP address) command
- Call your ISP if the tests show that they’re leaking packets
- Contact the For Honor server host if they’re the ones with high packet loss
- Switch to wired instead of Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi leaks packets more often)
- Check and replace/update/repair/upgrade any faulty component of your network (PC, drivers, software, cables, router)
- Restart your router and/or modem
- Try connecting straight to your home line or modem (bypass the router)
- Avoid peak hours if possible
- Upgrade your Internet subscription if it’s a low bandwidth one
- Try closing any other bandwidth-consuming processes on your PC
These suggestions aren’t guaranteed to solve your packet loss situation since leaking packets can have an awful lot of causes. However, it can’t hurt trying them all and ruling them out one by one.
For Honor packet loss can be fixed
All things considered, if you’re experiencing packet loss in For Honor, it would be a wise thing to see where exactly does this leak occurs by running a pathping test.
Once you got that out of the way, you can start considering the best approach.
If you’re the one leaking packets, try checking every component of your network and repair or replace it if necessary. Even outdated drivers or older Ethernet cables can play a huge role in triggering high packet loss.
If, on the other hand, the leak seems to be on your ISP’s side, try using a VPN. Sometimes your ISP might throttle your bandwidth.
Using a VPN re-routes all your traffic through its private servers, away from your ISP’s malevolent bandwidth limitations.
FAQ: Learn more about For Honor packet loss
- How to fix high packet loss in For Honor?
Make sure your home network is properly configured and its components are not malfunctioning or outdated. Use a gaming VPN to improve packet loss.
- Can VPN improve packet loss?
Yes, you can improve packet loss by using VPNs, but only if the ISP throttles your bandwidth or has improper network routing.
- Can VPN improve ping?
Certainly so, you can improve ping using VPNs, but only if your ISP is throttling your bandwidth.