Fix Instagram not Working/Opening on Chrome & Login on Desktop
Find out all you need to know to fix Instagram web not working
- Google Chrome may show a blank page when accessing Instagram due to cache issues.
- If you still can't open Instagram in Chrome, you might have to reset your browser or reinstall it to fix this problem.
Instagram offers limited functionality when accessed via a web browser. However, some users have reported that Instagram not working on Google Chrome issue when trying to access the home or posts.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the only issue, and many reported an Unknown network error has occurred on Instagram error. In this article, we explore a couple of troubleshooting steps to help you resolve this issue once and for all.
Why is Instagram not working in Chrome?
There are a couple of reasons for this, but the most common ones are the following:
- Browser cache – Cache can sometimes interfere with certain websites, so clean it manually or with cookie cleaner software.
- Network connection – Issues with your connection can cause this problem, so be sure to flush DNS and restart it.
- Extensions – Users tend to use various extensions, and sometimes they can interfere with Instagram and prevent it from running properly.
Post and keep up with your Instagram feed directly from your desktop!
Get all the perks of using Instagram on your desktop too, by using Opera's built in integration. The app is already installed in the browser, you just have to access the social-media sidebar and connect your account.
You get to use all the mobile features, without having to open a separate tab. Opera lets you pin Instagram for quick navigation between the app and your tabs. Post on your feed, comment, message your friends, and view posts and stories in a better quality with less issues on your computer screen.
OperaKeep up with your feed, engage in conversation and post on Instagram directly from Opera's dedicated sidebar.
How can I fix Instagram if it’s not working on Google Chrome?
- Why is Instagram not working in Chrome?
- How can I fix Instagram if it's not working on Google Chrome?
- 1. Clear browser cache
- 2. Check for a third-party extension conflict
- Disable Google Chrome extensions
- 3. Disable anti-tracking software/extensions
- 4. Update Google Chrome
- 5. Flush DNS
- 6. Reinstall Google Chrome
1. Clear browser cache
Clearing the cache and site data can help if Instagram is not loading on Chrome. However, you may have to repeat the steps if the problem occurs again after a few days.
1. Launch Google Chrome.
2. Click More (three dots) and select More tools. Lastly, select Clear browsing data.
3. Select a Time range.
4. Check the boxes for Cookies and other site data and Cached images and file options.
5. Click the Clear data button.
Once the cache is cleared, relaunch the browser. Open Instagram to see if the issue is resolved.
2. Check for a third-party extension conflict
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + N key to open a new Incognito Tab.
- Visit the Instagram home page and check if you are able to load and use the page.
If the Instagram page opens and works in Incognito mode, the issue could be due to third-party extensions.
Disable Google Chrome extensions
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on More (three dots).
- Next select More Tools and choose Extensions.
- Look for any recently installed extensions such as an ad-blocker, etc.
- Toggle the switch to disable the problematic plugin.
Relaunch Google Chrome and try to access Instagram in normal mode. If the issue persists, disable all the plugins one by one until you find the conflicting extension.
Disable or remove the extension from Chrome to fix the issue. Try clicking on the Update button in the Extensions section to download and install any pending updates for the extension.
3. Disable anti-tracking software/extensions
- Open your anti-tracking software or extension.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Make sure to add Instagram to the list of exclusions.
- Save changes.
4. Update Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on More.
- Go to Help and then select About Google Chrome.
- Chrome will check for any pending updates.
- If available, you can download and install the update.
Once the update is installed, relaunch Google Chrome and check for any improvements. Updating the browser can help if Instagram not working on Chrome, so be sure to try it.
5. Flush DNS
- Press the Windows key and type cmd.
- Click on Open as Administrator.
- In the command prompt window, type the following command and hit Enter to execute:
- Once you see a success message, close Command Prompt.
Open Google Chrome and check if Instagram is working. This is a useful method if Instagram is not working on Chrome, so be sure to try it.
6. Reinstall Google Chrome
- Press Windows key + X and choose Apps and features.
- Search for Google Chrome.
- Select Chrome and click Uninstall.
- Confirm the action to uninstall the browser.
Proceed to download and install the browser from the developer’s website.
You can fix Instagram not working on Chrome problem by clearing the browser cache and saved data. However, if the issue persists, try flushing the DNS or disabling extensions.
In case you have additional problems, visit our Can’t log in to Instagram article for more information.
Did you find an alternative solution to this problem? Let us know in the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.