How to install WordPress on Windows 10 computers
Your WordPress blog can be hosted on two platforms: on a web server, which is the most popular option among bloggers, or on a computer running the WordPress software package.
If you’re planning to install WordPress locally on your Windows 10 computer, you’re in the right place. This article is a step-by-step guide to configure your computer to act as its own web server for hosting WordPress.
The only visible difference when you host your WordPress blog on your Windows computer is the address: you’ll use http://localhost[…] instead of the regular web address.
As far as the user experience is concerned, by hosting WordPress on your computer you can work offline, test changes more quickly, and polish them before you roll them out to the live website.
Here’s to install WordPress locally on Windows 10
Solution 1 – Use InstantWP
If you want to create a WordPress website on your PC, you can do so easily using the InstantWP software.
According to the creators, this is a portable and standalone WordPress developer environment, so it’s perfect if you want to familiarize yourself with WordPress or if you’re a WordPress developer.
To install WordPress on a local PC, you just need to do the following:
- Download InstantWP for Windows.
- Once you download the archive, double-click it to run it.
- After you open the archive, extract it to the desired location.
- Go to the extract location and run the Start-InstantWP.bat file.
- If you get a Firewall prompt, click on Allow access button.
- A guide will appear on the screen. Keep clicking the Next button until you reach the end.
After doing that, WordPress will be installed and ready to run on your PC.
To run WordPress on your PC, just do the following:
- Go to the extraction directory and double-click the Start-InstantWP.bat file.
- Several Command Prompt windows should now appear. This is perfectly normal, so there’s no reason to worry.
- Wait while the server starts. This can take about 60 seconds, so be patient.
- Now click the WordPress Admin button.
- This will open a new tab in your browser and allow you to log in to the WordPress website on your PC.
Bear in mind that sometimes you might not be able to access your WordPress page on your PC. This is because the server is still starting in the background, so you’ll need to wait for a few more minutes while the server completely starts.
As you can see, this is a simple and fast method to run WordPress on your PC. It’s worth mentioning that this tool is fully portable, so you can just transfer it and run it on any other PC.
Solution 2 – Use ServerPress
Another method that you can use to install WordPress on your PC is to use SeverPress tool. This tool comes in two versions, free and premium, and while the free version is limited in terms of functionality, it should be more than enough for all your needs.
To install WordPress with SeverPress tool, you need to do the following:
- Download and install the free version of SeverPress. You’ll have to add the Free version to the cart and enter your email so you can get the download link.
- After you get the download link, click it and use it to download the tool.
- Once the download is finished, locate the download archive, open it and extract it to the desired location.
- Once you extract the archive, go to the extract location and run the Install DSL v392 file.
- When the new window appears, click on Continue. This will restart the installation and start it with administrative privileges.
- Click the Next button and follow the instructions on the screen.
Now you just need to start your server. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to the C:xampplite directory and run exe file as administrator. To do that, right-click the .exe file and choose Run as administrator from the menu.
- Select Start apache and MySQL services and click Next.
- If you get a firewall prompt, be sure to click on Allow access.
- Click Next to proceed.
- Select Create a new development website and click Next.
- Now set the desired name and site root. We suggest that you keep them as they are. As for the Blueprint, be sure that WordPress is selected. Click Create to continue. Be sure to memorize the URL because you’ll need it for future steps.
- Wait while the wizard creates the necessary files and folders. This might take about a minute or two, so be patient.
- After the process is finished, just go to the URL from Step 6, by default it should be http://www.example.dev.cc. Now you just need to enter the required information and your local WordPress page should be set up.
After doing that, you can access your page and modify it any way you want.
There you go, these are the two methods you can use to set up a WordPress page on your local computer. Both methods are similar, although the first one might be more straightforward for first-time users.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- 6 WordPress hosting services for businesses to boost your profit
- 5 best WordPress hosting for Windows in 2018
- You can now edit in Google Docs and publish in WordPress
- Windows 8, 10 App Check: WordPress, the Free Hosted Blogging Platform
- 10 best plagiarism software to detect copy content in 2019
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Tor is a free and open source browser focused on anonymous communication, but many users reported Tor Browser is already running error message. If you’re […]
Quite a large number of users reported experiencing an annoying issue when trying to use BBC iPlayer on their device. When attempting to play content […]