Judging by the recent update pattern, it seems that Microsoft started rolling out new patches every week, not just on Patch Tuesday. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update KB4089848 is the latest addition.
This update brings a series of bug fixes and improvements, including fixes for credential issues, file transfer errors, several bugs related to Group Policy processing, PDF rendering issues on the Edge browser, and more. You can check out the complete change log on Microsoft’s Support page.
Microsoft listed only one bug on the list of known issues, but user reports suggest otherwise. In this post, we’ll quickly list the most frequent KB4089848 bugs reported by users.
1. Install fails
Well, if you can’t install the latest Windows 10 v1709 patches on your computer, you’re not the only one. Many users are still struggling to install KB4089848 but the download and install process often fails.
On ~3/21/18 I attempted to install a later update: Windows 10 update 2018-3 KB4089848. I was able to download and it did install, but on restart the update still says it is awaiting a restart.
If you can’t install KB4089848, follow the instructions available in these troubleshooting guides to fix the problem:
- Full Fix: Windows 10, 8.1 and 7 Keeps Installing the Same Update
- There were some problems installing updates but we’ll try again later [FIX]
- How to fix Windows 10 Fall Creators Update install issues
2. Printing fails
Update KB4089848 also breaks printers. Judging by user reports, it seems that this problem is prevalent for HP printers.
I installed the latest Windows 10 update – KB4089848 […]. The update prevents my HP printer from printing. I deinstalled the update, and my printer started working again. If you are reading this, Microsoft, please correct this promptly.
If the printing issues persist after uninstalling the update, the following guides can help you fix them:
- How to Fix Printing Problems in Windows 10
- Wi-Fi printer not recognized? Fix it with these quick solutions
- Fix antivirus blocking printing on Windows PCs
3. Computers suddenly freeze
The first two issues are not that severe, but when your computer regularly freezes after installing the latest updates, you really wish you hadn’t hit the update button.
After installing the update Windows almost freeze (network connections goes to zero, cpu load goes to zero) for 4-5 seconds really often. Everything worked fine before this update
4. KB4089848 clears the update history
Windows 10 v1709 users also complained that this update wipes the entire update history leaving them unable to restore it.
Update installed successfully (verified in Programs and Features); however, since it was installed, all information has been wiped from the installed update history from Windows Update.
5. Other issues
Unfortunately, the list of issues triggered by the latest Windows 10 Fall Creators Update patch doesn’t end here. Other bugs include:
- The search function in Outlook is broken
- The application icon in the taskbar is unresponsive
- The update breaks the Homegroup and undoes all sharing choices for all folders.
As you can see, KB4089848 is pretty buggy. For this reason, many users decided to block the patch from installing hoping that Microsoft will have fixed all these issues by the next Patch Tuesday release.
Use the comment section below to tell us more about your KB4089848 update experience.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: VPN not working after Windows 10 update
- Fix: Windows 10 Store won’t update
- Windows Updates message gets your computer stuck? Here’s the fix