- The Microsoft Store is a digital distribution platform through which users can download plenty of useful apps and games that are perfectly compatible with Windows 10.
- Under normal circumstances, the Microsoft Store app should update itself automatically when you log into your PC. However, if that doesn't happen, simply follow the steps from the guide below.
- This article is part of a much larger hub that deals with Microsoft Store Issues, so check it out in case you have any other related problems.
- Don't hesitate to browse our dedicated Microsoft Store section for more interesting article son the subject.
Users report new problems in Windows 10 every day, and a lot of appeals about updating apps or the system itself are reported to Microsoft. This time we have an issue with Microsoft 10 Store update, but there are a couple of solutions that could solve the problem.
So, here are the solutions for Windows 10 App Store updating problems, but we can’t guarantee that they will work for both apps.
- Windows 10 Store update not working
- Windows Store update stuck
- Windows Store pardon the interruption
- We can’t seem to start the store update right now
- Windows 10 Store not updating
- Windows 10 Store won’t update
How do I fix a Microsoft Store App that doesn’t update?
Table of contents:
- Change The Region Settings
- Repair Windows 10 Store
- Use the Store Troubleshooter
- Reset Windows Store
- Check date and time
- Reinstall a problematic app
- Perform the SFC scan
- Update Windows/Delete updates
1. Change The Region Settings
- Go to Start Menu and click on Control Panel
- In Control Panel, go to Region, and change your region under Formats drop-down menu
- Reboot your Microsoft Store and try to update it again
Maybe the problem occurs if you’re in the unsupported region or your region somehow changed from your actual one. To solve the problem all you need to do is to change your Region Format in the Control Panel and your Microsoft Store app should be able to update again.
If changing the region didn’t help, you can try with repairing your Windows 10 Store app in the Command Prompt.
2. Repair the Microsoft Store App
To repair your Microsoft Store app in the Command Prompt, follow these steps:
- In the Search box, type cmd
- Right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator
- In the command prompt, enter the following command:
3. Use the Store Troubleshooter
The next thing we’re going to try is running the built-in Store troubleshooter.
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to Updates & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Click Windows Store Apps and choose Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for the troubleshooter to finish the process.
- Restart your PC.
4. Reset Windows Store
- Go to Search and type wsreset.
- Click WSReset.exe
- Wait for the process to finish and restart your computer.
Another widely used troubleshooting tool that’s tightly connected to the Windows Store is the WSReset command. You can use this command to reset the Windows Store, and bring to its previous state.
5. Check date and time
Some users reported that you can’t install Windows Store upadtes or any other updates if your date and time are wrong. So, make sure to get your time and date settings right before trying to update the Windows Store.
6. Reinstall a problematic app
If you have a problem with a certain app, it may block the entire Store. So, go through all the apps installed on your computer, find and uninstall the troublesome one.
You can find the list of all the installed apps in Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
7. Perform the SFC scan
- Go to Search, type cmd, right-click Command Prompt, and go to Run as Administrator.
- Enter the following command, and press Enter on your keyboard: sfc/scannow
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Restart your computer.
Another troubleshooting tool designed for dealing with various system errros within Windows, including the Windows Store, is the SFC scan. So, you can try and run this feature to resolve the problem with updating the Microsoft Store.
8. Update Windows / Delete updates
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Select Update & security.
- Click on View installed update history.
- Choose to Uninstall updates.
- Uninstall all recent updates and restart your PC.
Windows updates are crucial for the system’s functioning. So crucial that some updates even determin whether your system will work better, or become broken. Because of that, it takes installing just one Windows update to solve your problem. And that’s what we’re going to do now.
To check for new updates, simply go to Settings > Updates & Security, and check for updates. If a new update is available, the app will install it automatically.
But as I said, a broken update can also cause a handful of issues. So, if installing a new update didn’t sovle the problem, try with uninstalling the most recent update. Maybe you’ll get more lucky.
That would be all, after performing these solutions your Microsoft Store should be able to receive new updates on a regular basis.
If you have any other questions, suggestions, or these workarounds somehow didn’t work for you, please tell us in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about the Microsoft Store
- What is the Microsoft Store?
The Microsoft Store is a digital distribution platform created by Microsoft where users can download apps and games.
- Do Microsoft Store apps update automatically?
Microsoft Store apps will proceed to update automatically, but sometimes you may need to manually trigger them.
- Is the Microsoft Store app free to use?
The Microsoft Store app is completely free to use, the only requirements for you to use it is a Microsoft account and a stable Internet connection.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.