- The Windowskeyboard can be configured in whatever way that suits your language and region's style and direction.
- If you mistakenly configured your keyboard to type in reverse order, then you can have the issue of your computer typing backwards.
- You can use hotkeys to change the direction from which you are typing and thus reverse the direction.
Typing backwards is a common issue, encountered by Windows users on all platforms and in many different applications. For example, users have reported on forums that they are typing backwards in Teams.
Users have fixed it with a variety of methods. We’ll show you all the ways to get your keyboard typing as you want it. Do read this guide to the end to learn all about it.
Why is my keyboard typing backwards?
The most likely reason why your keyboard is typing backwards is that it’s set to do so, knowingly or unknowingly. Some countries and languages write from right to left, while others write from left to right.
Some faulty settings could be to blame for this issue, which means it can go away within minutes. Let’s now jump to the troubleshooting section!
How can I fix the keyboard typing backwards issue?
1. Restart your machine
For troubleshooting minor software issues, restarting your computer should be your first course of action. If your keyboard is typing backward due to a software conflict or malfunctioning process, a simple reboot will fix it.
Further, you may also want to disconnect and re-connect your external keyboard, if that’s what you use. After restarting your PC and reconnecting your external keyboard, if the keyboard is still typing backward, continue to the next solution.
2. Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key and search for troubleshoot.
- Click on Troubleshoot settings from the search results.
- Scroll down the right side and click on Keyboard.
- Select the Run the troubleshooter option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fix the keyboard typing backward.
3. Change your system’s region
- Click on the Start menu.
- Search for control panel and open Control Panel from the results.
- Go to Region.
- Navigate to the Location tab.
- Click on the dropdown menu for Home location and select the United States.
- Hit the OK button to save the settings.
- Restart your machine.
4. Re-install your keyboard driver
- Press the Windows key + X combination.
- Go to Device Manager.
- Expand the Keyboards item on the list.
- Right-click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard.
Note: The name of the keyboard will differ based on your computer’s model.
- Select Uninstall driver.
- Follow the steps to uninstall the driver.
- Restart your computer.
You can also use dedicated updater software that will scan for missing, damaged, or out-of-date drivers on your PC. Software like Outbyte Driver Updater is a safe alternative because it can always find the exact match for your hardware, eliminating the risks of experiencing further errors because of mismatched drivers.
5. Change your keyboard typing direction
The Windows operating system allows you to change how you type between left-to-right typing and right-to-left typing. Sometimes, if your keyboard is typing backward, it may mean that you might’ve accidentally changed this setting.
- For right-to-left typing, press CTRL + right SHIFT.
- For left-to-right typing, press CTRL + left SHIFT.
This is a quick fix for users who experience that their Teams app types backwards. Speaking of, an application restart should also fix the issue for them.
How can I type backwards on my keyboard?
Basically, if you want to type backwards on a keyboard, you need to use the CTRL + right SHIFT hotkey on your PC.
Your keyboard typing backward is a known issue, and as you can see, it’s more likely to be caused by wrong system settings than by a virus or bug. You can follow the above fixes in any order.
Also, for the fifth solution, be sure to remember what you’ve set so that you don’t complicate the issue.
We’d love to know the solution that worked for you to fix the keyboard typing backwards issue. If it’s not on this list, don’t hesitate to let us know in the comment section.