SOLVED: Windows 10 switches keyboard language on its own
Many users reported that Windows 10 changes keyboard language on its own. If you’re experiencing the same problem, read this guide to learn why it occurs and how you can quickly fix it.
Here’s an example to better understand this problem:
If you work on an English version of Windows, but you get Korean as a working language, your input language is set to Korean by default, but sometimes Windows will change this setting automatically when you switch between apps, thus a different keyboard layout too.
This affects all Windows versions regardless, and consequently, all apps running under Windows – including Sign In and MS Office.
Why this happens is because the Input Language can be programmed to be maintained per app or per window through an API that changes the input locale to a different or default keyboard layout if enabled for the user.
Some apps like Office try to decipher the language you use when typing a document, email or presentation and changes the input language accordingly (including keyboard layout).
Check out some solutions below that you can use when Windows 10 switches keyboard language on its own.
FIX: Keyboard language keeps changing
- Preliminary fixes
- Set a different input method
- Make the keyboard layout as default
- Choose one input language and keyboard layout and remove all others
- Disable keyboard actions
- Use Registry Editor to disable the keyboard layout toggle hotkeys
- Change the region settings
- Change registry settings through policy or login script
1. Preliminary fixes
- Press CTRL+SHIFT to switch to another language
- Change default language to one of the others you get, and reboot your computer, then change it back to the language you want to use and reboot again
- Remove all other languages so that you’re left with only the one you want Windows to load with – the system language. Open that language and check the input method, then you can remove the one you don’t want and keep what you want. The default language will not switch back when using certain programs, but you can switch between them without problems.
- Avoid clicking SHIFT+ALT while using your computer as this creates a hotkey and can cause Windows 10 switches keyboard language on its own error
- Watch the language questions carefully when you install Windows 10 initially
2. Set a different input method
- Click start and open control panel
- Select Clock, language and region.
- Click on Advanced settings.
- Under Switching input methods put a check mark for “Let me set a different input method for each app windows“
- Click on Save and then try to play the games again
3. Make the keyboard layout as default
- Click Start and select Settings
- Click Change PC settings
- Click Time and language
- Click Region and Language
- Click the language that you want to see Windows in
- Click Set as primary. The Will be display language after next sign-in message will appear under the language.
- Click Set as primary to move the language to the top. If it can become your Windows display language, the Will be display language after next sign-in will appear under the language.
- Sign out and then sign back in
Note: When you change your primary language, your keyboard layout may change. When signing back in to Windows, use the right keyboard layout for entering your password. Otherwise, you might not sign in. Change your keyboard layout on the sign-in screen by clicking the language abbreviation button.
4. Choose one input language and keyboard layout and remove all others
- Click Start and choose Settings
- Click Time and Language
- Go to Region and Language
- Select Advanced Keyboard settings
- Under Override for different input methods, select from the drop down menu the language you want to use
- Close the window
5. Disable keyboard actions
By default, pressing CTRL+SHIFT or ALT+SHIFT will cycle through any keyboard layouts you may have mapped and it is possible to do this by mistake. If you keep pressing any of these, you can go back to the correct setting. To disable this action, do this:
- Click Start and select Control Panel
- Click Clock, Language and Region
- Click Language
- Click Advanced Settings
- Click Switching input methods > Change language bar hotkeys
- Click Change key sequence
- Click Switch keyboard layout
- Click Not Assigned
6. Use Registry Editor to disable the keyboard layout toggle hotkeys
- Right click start and select Run
- Type regedit
- Go to HKCUKeyboard LayoutToggle” /v “Layout Hotkey” /d 3
You might also want to use:
reg add “HKCUKeyboard LayoutToggle” /v “Language Hotkey” /d 3reg add “HKCUKeyboard LayoutToggle” /v “Hotkey” /d 3
And for new users, try this (in an elevated Command prompt):
reg load HKEY_USERStemp “%USERPROFILE%..DefaultNTUSER.DAT”reg add “HKEY_USERStempKeyboard LayoutToggle” /v “Layout Hotkey” /d 3reg unload HKEY_USERStemp
— RELATED: Fix: Corrupt User Profile in Windows 10
7. Change the region settings
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on Clock, Language, and Region.
- Select Region.
- Click on the Location
- Under Home location, select Japan so that it won’t add any English keyboard layout.
- Click Apply, and then OK.
- Restart your computer.
Alternatively, you can use these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Privacy.
- Select Location.
- Make sure that Location is Off
8. Change registry settings through policy or login script
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type regedit and press enter
- Find this key to disable auto detect keyboard layout: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlKeyboard Layout]
- To hide the language bar, use this key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftCTFLangBar]
- Exit registry editor once you’re done
Were you able to resolve the Windows 10 switches keyboard language on its own error using any of these solutions? Let us know in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Laptop keyboard not working on Windows 10
- You can soon download language packs for Windows via Microsoft Store
- How to change the game language in The Sims 4
The DNS server, short for Domain Name Server is where the management, maintenance and processing of Internet domain names take place. Or in simple terms, […]
Getting the perfect gift for FIFA fans is actually an easy job. Basically, you get them anything related to their favorite game and you’ll make […]
Microsoft added Tablet mode to Windows 10 primarily for 2-in-1 laptops and tablets, such as the Surface Pro. Tablet mode displays a start screen from […]