- OneDrive Sync Version History lets you recover accidentally edited files on your PC
- File restoration methods include File Explorer, Onedrive.com, and Finder.
- Check out our dedicated Windows section to learn more about fixes, tricks, and tips related to all versions of the operating system.
- Don't forget to visit our special OneDrive page for the latest updates on the cloud file storage platform.
Accidental edits! Every PC user has them at one point or another. Either you or a colleague makes undesirable but irreversible changes to a mission-critical photo, PDF, CAD, or any other file type on OneDrive.
If you cannot find the original file, you may have to create it from scratch, again. That can be time-consuming, not to mention expensive, depending on the nature of the lost details or data.
How do I restore a OneDrive file to a previous version?
1. Use OneDrive Sync Version History
- Open File Explorer: You can access OneDrive Sync Version History via File Explorer’s context menu to recover any file.
- Right click the file in question and choose View version history. Doing this reveals all previous versions of the file. It also indicates the modification date and the user who modified the file.
- Select the version you want to recover: Your options here include restoring or deleting the selected file. Choose restore to replace the unwanted file with the selected previous version.
Windows 10 and macOS users can recover previous versions of edited files using OneDrive Sync Version History. The feature enables the synchronization of your PC and OneDrive files.
As such, it lets you track older versions of files within your desktop environment, enabling the recovery of items edited by mistake.
2. Use version history in OneDrive
- Go to OneDrive.com
- Locate the file you wish to restore and right-click it.
- Select Version history: This reveals the modification record of the particular file. It also indicates the date of all previous versions alongside the names of users who made the changes.
- Select the appropriate version: Just in case you need to confirm the contents of the file before doing anything else, click Open File. Alternatively, click Restore to get the file back. There is also the option of downloading the preferred file version from OneDrive to your PC.
These are some quick ways to restore a OneDrive file to a previous version. Be sure to follow all the steps and you should be able to do it yourself in no time.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.