- RAW photos are a file format where all the data from the camera is still preserved.
- This means that RAW photos are the best version of a photo that one can have since it includes information that is not visible to the naked eye.
- Professional image editors like Adobe Photoshop are excellent for opening RAW photos, as well as fixing any issues related to them.
- More troubleshooting guides can be found on our Windows 10 Fix page as well.
Microsoft Photos is a simplistic and intuitive photo viewer that was designed to be used as Windows 10 default photo viewer app.
However, some users have been reporting on Microsoft’s forums that Photo Viewer in Windows 10 is rotating their raw photos.
[…] lately any vertical photos will flip sideways automatically. When I try to rotate it, I now get “That didn’t work, RAW files don’t rotate. Select edit to rotate and save it as a different file type.” This has never happened before. I work with multiple photos and I really don’t want to have to change.
The problem seems to be quite common, as people with a wide variety of Windows 10 versions and cameras are having similar issues. More so, it would seem that uninstalling and reinstalling app did not solve the problem.
How do I fix the rotating RAW photos issue?
One of the best photo viewers that you can ever try is Adobe Photoshop. In fact, one of the best products for anything image-related is Adobe Photoshop.
In the case at hand, Photoshop is perfectly capable of opening RAW photos, and you can even do a few enhancements while you are at it.
2. Update Photo Viewer to the latest version
Store apps don’t update themselves by default unless you open the Microsoft Store. Once you do that, they will start automatically updating. However, there are cases when you have to manually force a store app to update.
You can do this by following these steps:
- Press Windows
- Type in Microsoft Store
- Press the 3 dots in the upper-right corner of the window, next to Search
- Select Downloads and updates from the dropdown menu
- A list of all of the Store apps you have installed will appear, and when it does, press Get updates
3. Update Windows 10 to the latest version
Sometimes an old Windows 10 version can come in conflict with a newer version of Photo Viewer.
- Press Windows
- Click on Settings (the cogwheel-shaped button)
- Select Updates & security
- Click Check for updates
4. Troubleshoot whether your camera is to blame
Go to the camera manufacturer’s website to verify if the cameras you are using is Windows 10 supported
5. Make sure the file format you are trying to open is supported by Photo Viewer.
You can find out a file’s format either through the name (if it has an extension) or by right-clicking it and looking at the file properties.
Once you see the file’s format, head over to Photo Viewer’s download page or look into the help documentation to see if that format is supported.
By following these steps, you should no longer have issues with your PC rotating RAW photos anymore.
Let us know which solution helped you by leaving us a message in teh comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
In photography, RAW is a file format that captures all image data recorded by the sensor when you take a photo, without any compression. Professional photo viewers can easily open RAW files.
Most professional image editors are capable of opening RAW photos.
With RAW files, the image preserves most of the information from the camera, such as sharpness and contrast, while JPEG images are heavily compressed and processed.