- Windows 10 has brought many improvements including improved security via PIN and face recognition.
- PIN is stored locally and is tied to a TPM chip, changes to the chip will result in the PIN not recognized.
- Check out the Windows Hello section for more great articles with guides and recommendations.
- If you want to solve any Windows issues, check out the Windows 10 Errors Troubleshooting Hub.
Windows 10 has brought many improvements including improved security. One of those improved security features is an option to sign in with a PIN code, but some users report that this option isn’t available for them on Windows 10.
The PIN code is always useful to use for login because it’s faster to enter than a regular password and easier to remember. But it seems that some Windows 10 users are unable to add it or it does not work.
Another Pin related issue you can get into is the Windows Hello pin this option is currently unavailable error message. Also, the Pin sign in option can be greyed out or does not appear at all.
Before we try to fix it, make sure that your Windows 10 is up to date. Microsoft is aware of this issue, and it might be resolved with a Windows 10 update, so before we start make sure that your Windows 10 is updated with the latest patches.
How do I fix Windows Hello pin option currently unavailable?
1. Remove Dell Data Protection security tools
If you’re using a Dell PC, you might experience problems with PIN sign in due to applications such as Dell Data Protection security tools.
There are three different Dell Data Protection security tools, and in order to fix this problem, you need to remove them in the correct order. Once you remove those tools, you just have to remove your PIN and add it again, and the problem should be resolved.
Keep in mind that these applications can leave certain files behind even after you remove them. In order to remove all files and registry entries associated with it, it’s recommended to use a proper uninstaller.
There are many great uninstaller applications that can completely remove any application from your PC, and if you want to remove all files related to Dell Data Protection security tools, we recommend that you use IOBit Uninstaller (free) or Revo Uninstaller.
Both these applications are simple to use, and they can remove any application from your PC with ease.
Take a look at this article to find out how you can remove software leftovers and clean your PC of any unwanted files.
IObit UninstallerUninstall any applications an completely remove files related to Dell Data Protection tools.
2. Delete NGC folder and add a new PIN code
- Go to this file location:
- In NGC folder delete all the files. To do so you must be logged as Administrator.
- After removing all files from NGC directory, you need to recreate your PIN.
- Open Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Accounts section.
- From the menu on the left select Sign-in options.
- Click the Windows Hello Pin button in the PIN section.
- Enter the desired PIN twice. Once you’re done, click OK to save changes.
Note: If deleting NGC folder didn’t solve the problem, you can use the next solution.
3. Use the I forgot my PIN option
- Go to Settings > Accounts.
- Next, go to Sign-in options and choose I forgot my PIN.
- Follow the instructions and enter your Microsoft account password and you’ll be able to set a new PIN code or use the old one instead.
Note: Some users also suggest combining both Solutions 1 and 2. To do so follow the steps from Solution 2, but when asked to set up a new PIN code click Cancel.
Then follow the steps from Solution 1, delete the NGC folder and then add a new PIN code.
FAQ: Learn more about Windows 10 PIN sign-in
- How do I get Windows hello to work?
If it is not available on your computer, in our guide you can find simple solutions to make Windows Hello work.
- How do you fix something happened and your PIN isn’t available?
This is a common PIN related issue and you can solve it by following our guide for PIN isn’t available.
- How do I log into Windows 10 without a password?
There is a simple solution you can find in our log in to Windows 10 without a password guide.