- Windows 10 has brought many improvements including improved security via PIN and face recognition.
- PIN is stored locally and is tied to a TPM chip, changes to the chip will result in the PIN not recognized.
- Check out the Windows Hello section for more great articles with guides and recommendations.
- If you want to solve any Windows issues, check out the Windows 10 Errors Troubleshooting Hub.
Windows 10 has brought many improvements including improved security. One of those improved security features is an option to sign in with a PIN code, but some users report that this option isn’t available for them on Windows 10.
The PIN code is always useful to use for login because it’s faster to enter than a regular password and easier to remember. But it seems that some Windows 10 users are unable to add it or it does not work.
Another Pin related issue you can get into is the Windows Hello pin this option is currently unavailable error message. Also, the Pin sign in option can be greyed out or does not appear at all.
Before we try to fix it, make sure that your Windows 10 is up to date. Microsoft is aware of this issue, and it might be resolved with a Windows 10 update, so before we start make sure that your Windows 10 is updated with the latest patches.
How do I fix Windows Hello pin option currently unavailable?
1. Remove Dell Data Protection security tools
If you’re using a Dell PC, you might experience problems with PIN sign in due to applications such as Dell Data Protection security tools.
There are three different Dell Data Protection security tools, and in order to fix this problem, you need to remove them in the correct order. Once you remove those tools, you just have to remove your PIN and add it again, and the problem should be resolved.
Keep in mind that these applications can leave certain files behind even after you remove them. In order to remove all files and registry entries associated with it, it’s recommended to use a proper uninstaller.
There are many great uninstaller applications that can completely remove any application from your PC, and if you want to remove all files related to Dell Data Protection security tools, we recommend that you use IOBit Uninstaller (free) or Revo Uninstaller.
Both these applications are simple to use, and they can remove any application from your PC with ease.
Take a look at this article to find out how you can remove software leftovers and clean your PC of any unwanted files.
Uninstall any applications an completely remove files related to Dell Data Protection tools.
2. Delete NGC folder and add a new PIN code
- Go to this file location:
- In NGC folder delete all the files. To do so you must be logged as Administrator.
- After removing all files from NGC directory, you need to recreate your PIN.
- Open Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Accounts section.
- From the menu on the left select Sign-in options.
- Click the Windows Hello Pin button in the PIN section.
- Enter the desired PIN twice. Once you’re done, click OK to save changes.
Note: If deleting NGC folder didn’t solve the problem, you can use the next solution.
3. Use the I forgot my PIN option
- Go to Settings > Accounts.
- Next, go to Sign-in options and choose I forgot my PIN.
- Follow the instructions and enter your Microsoft account password and you’ll be able to set a new PIN code or use the old one instead.
Note: Some users also suggest combining both Solutions 1 and 2. To do so follow the steps from Solution 2, but when asked to set up a new PIN code click Cancel.
Then follow the steps from Solution 1, delete the NGC folder and then add a new PIN code.
4. Switch to a local account and add a PIN code
- Go to Settings > Accounts and locate your account.
- Click Sign in with a Local Account instead.
- Follow the instructions to set up a local account.
- Sign out and sign in to your local account.
- Now add a PIN code.
- After you’ve added your PIN code you need to locate your account under the Accounts section in Settings.
- Choose Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead.
5. Remove and recreate your PIN
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Accounts section.
- From the menu on the left select Sign-in options.
- In the right panel, locate the PIN section and click the Remove button.
- Click the Remove button once again to confirm that you want to remove your PIN.
- Now enter your account password and click OK.
Note: After doing that, your PIN should be completely removed. Now you need to add your PIN again. To see how to add your PIN, be sure to check Solution 1 for detailed instructions.
6. Press Tab on the login screen
This is a simple workaround, and several users reported that it works, so feel free to try it out. We have to mention that this isn’t a permanent solution, so you’ll have to use it every time you want to login to your PC.
On the login screen, you have to press the Tab key on your keyboard. After doing that, you should see a password input field. Here, click on Sign in Options and enter your PIN.
7. Change your account password
- Go to Settings > Accounts.
- From the left menu, select Sign-in options.
- Then go to Password section and select Change.
- Change your account password.
- Then go to the PIN section in Sign-in options and choose I forgot my PIN or add a PIN number if you don’t have one already.
Note: Remember, after changing your account password, you’ll have to use the new password for all your Microsoft services.
8. Create a new Administrator account
- Open the Settings and go to the Accounts section.
- Select Family & other people from the menu on the left. In the right pane.
- Click on Add someone else to this PC.
- Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now click on Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired account name and click Next.
Note: If PIN sign-in isn’t available for your account, you might be able to fix the problem by creating a new administrator account.
After creating a new administrator account, switch to it and set a PIN for it. We showed you how to set up a PIN code in one of our previous solutions, so be sure to check it out for detailed instructions.
Once you set the PIN code for the new account, try accessing your old account to see if the PIN code works. According to users, after setting a new administrator account the issue was completely resolved, so feel free to try this solution.
9. Modify your registry
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit, then press Enter or click OK.
- In the left panel, navigate to
- Now locate Threshold DWORD and double click it.
- If it’s not available, you can create it by right-clicking the right panel and choosing New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Now enter Threshold as the name of the new DWORD.
- Change the Value data of the Threshold DWORD to 0 and click on OK to save changes.
- After making these changes, you just need to delete all files from the following directory:
Note: This might be a slightly advanced solution, but several users reported that it worked for them, so feel free to try it out. If you can’t edit your Windows 10’s registry, read this handy guide and find the quickest solutions to the issue.
10. Check if CNG Key Isolation service (KeyIso) is running
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc, then press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate CNG Key Isolation service and double click it.
- When the Properties window opens, change the Startup type to Manual.
- Check if the service is running. If not, click the Start button to start it.
- Now click Apply and OK to save changes.
Note: According to users, sometimes PIN sign in can become unavailable if CNG Key Isolation Service (KeyIso) service is disabled. Windows relies on this service for PIN sign in, and if this service isn’t running, you’ll experience problems with PIN login.
All of the above solutions should help you solve all of the common PIN login issues you might face. You should now be able to login with a PIN.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
Frequently Asked Questions
If it is not available on your computer, in our guide you can find simple solutions to make Windows Hello work.
This is a common PIN related issue and you can solve it by following our guide for PIN isn’t available.
There is a simple solution you can find in our log in to Windows 10 without a password guide.