- Windows 10 has brought many improvements including improved security via PIN access and face recognition using a Windows Hello supported device.
- The PIN is stored locally and is tied to a TPM chip (Trusted Platform Module). Any changes to the chip will result in the PIN not recognized. Fix this by resetting the PIN.
- An exciting new feature that deserves our attention. Check out the Windows Hello section for more articles with guides and recommendations.
- If you want to solve any Windows issues, check out the Windows 10 Errors Troubleshooting Hub for step-by-step, friendly instruction on how to do just that.
Windows 10 has brought many improvements including improved security. One of those improved security features is an option to sign in with a PIN code, but some users report that this option isn’t available for them on Windows 10.
PIN sign in can be rather useful, but sometimes issues with it can occur. As for PIN related issues, users reported the following problems:
- Windows 10 add PIN not working, nothing happens – Many users reported that they are unable to add PIN to their Windows 10. This can be a big problem, but you might be able to fix that by creating a new user account.
- Windows 10 won’t let me add a PIN – This is another relatively common problem, but you should be able to fix it by switching to Microsoft or local account.
- Windows 10 sign in options not showing – Sometimes PIN sign in won’t appear at all, but you can fix that by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
- PIN sign in Windows 10 greyed out – If PIN sign in is grayed out on your PC, you should be able to fix the problem using one of our solutions.
- Windows Hello pin this option is currently unavailable – is the error message reported by many Windows users. Find the solution in our troubleshooting guide below.
The PIN code is always useful to use for login because it’s faster to enter than a regular password and easier to remember, but it seems that some Windows 10 users don’t have this option available.
Before we try to fix it, make sure that your Windows 10 is up to date. Microsoft is aware of this issue, and it might be resolved with a Windows 10 update, so before we start make sure that your Windows 10 is updated with latest patches.
How to fix Windows Hello pin option currently unavailable
Solution 1 – Delete NGC folder and add a new PIN code
According to users, you can fix this problem simply by removing the contents of NGC directory and recreating your PIN. This is rather simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Go to
- In NGC folder delete all the files. To do so you must be logged as Administrator.
After removing all files from NGC directory, you need to recreate your PIN by following these steps:
- Open Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Accounts section.
- From the menu on the left select Sign-in options.
- Click the Add button in the PIN section.
- Enter the desired PIN twice. Once you’re done, click OK to save changes.
After doing that, the problem with PIN sign in should be resolved.
Solution 2 – Use the I forgot my PIN option
If deleting NGC folder didn’t solve the problem, you can use ‘I forgot my PIN‘ option. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Settings > Accounts.
- Next, go to Sign-in options and choose I forgot my PIN.
- Follow the instructions and enter your Microsoft account password and you’ll be able to set a new PIN code or use the old one instead.
Some users also suggest combining both Solutions 1 and 2. To do so follow the steps from Solution 2, but when asked to set up a new PIN code click Cancel.
Then follow the steps from Solution 1, delete the NGC folder and then add a new PIN code.
Solution 3 – Change your account password
Several users reported that they fixed the problem simply by changing their account password. This is rather simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
- Then go to Password section and select Change.
- Change your account password.
- Then go to the PIN section in Sign-in options and choose I forgot my PIN or add a PIN number if you don’t have one already.
Remember, after changing your account password, you’ll have to use the new password for all your Microsoft services.
FAQ: Learn more about Windows 10 PIN sign-in
- Why is my PIN not available Windows 10?
Usually because of a change in the TPM chip that altered the PIN being recognized correctly. A system update might also mess things up with the authentication process.
- How do I recover my Windows 10 pin?
You need to reset your pin by following the steps from Solution 2 from this article.
- What is the default PIN for Windows 10?
The default PIN size is 4 digits. However, there is no actual value because the PIN is always set up explicitly by the user.
- What is a Windows 10 Hello pin?
It is an alternative to the common password used to unlock your computer. It is a unique code for that device and doesn’t work on other devices even if the same Microsoft account is used.