- If the PIN is not working in Windows 10, that can be caused by a whole set of issues, including an incorrect PIN.
- To fix the Windows 10 PIN not working issue, it’s advised to empty the Ngc folder as instructed in our solution below.
- You might also be able to fix the Windows Hello PIN not working problem by recreating the PIN.
- Signing in with another option is also a very good solution for this annoying problem.
Just like its predecessor, Windows 10 allows users to secure their operating system using a PIN.
Many users prefer using PIN since it’s more convenient to memorize a PIN than a long password, but what can you do if your PIN doesn’t work in Windows 10?
How can I fix PIN not working in Windows 10?
- Delete everything from the Ngc folder
- Remove your antivirus
- Recreate your PIN
- Choose Sign-in options from the login screen
- Use I forgot my PIN option
- Uninstall Dell Data Protection security tools
- Roll back to the previous build
- Use the on-screen keyboard
- Temporarily remove your laptop battery
- Create a local account
- Change your Group Policy settings
- Change the Startup type of IPsec Policy Agent
- Restart your computer in the PIN phase
1. Delete everything from the Ngc folder
1.1 Access the Ngc folder and delete its contents
- Use your password to log in to Windows 10.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to LocalMicrosoft.
- Right-click the Ngc folder and choose Properties.
- Navigate to the Security tab and click on the Advanced button.
- Locate the Owner section at the top and click Change link.
- In Enter the object name to select enter Administrators if you’re using administrator account, or your username and click Check Names and OK.
- Check to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click Apply and OK.
- Now you should be able to enter Ngc folder.
- Once you open the Ngc folder, select all files and folders in it and delete them.
If you cannot access Windows 10 with your PIN, it’s advised that you open the Ngc folder and remove everything from it.
After you’ve deleted everything from Ngc folder, you can create a new PIN for your Windows 10 device.
1.2 Create a new PIN
- Go to Settings app and click on Account settings.
- Choose Sign-in Options and click Add a PIN.
- Follow the instruction to add a new PIN.
You can also reset permissions over the Ngc directory by using the Command Prompt. This method is faster, but it requires some familiarity with the command line.
1.3 Reset permissions on the Ngc folder using Command Prompt
- Enter cmd in Windows search and click on Run as administrator under Command Prompt. (If Command Prompt isn’t available, you can use PowerShell instead).
- When Command Prompt opens, enter the following command and press Enter to run it:
ICACLS * /T /Q /C /RESET
After running this command you should be able to access the Ngc directory without any problems.
Several users claim that you can fix this problem simply by resetting permissions over the Ngc directory.
According to them, it’s not necessary to remove any files or to recreate your PIN.
2. Remove your antivirus
As previously mentioned, third-party tools can interfere with Windows 10. If your PIN is not working, that might be due to your antivirus software.
To fix the issue, you need to temporarily uninstall your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
To completely remove your antivirus software along with all associated files and registry entries, it’s advised to use a dedicated removal tool.
Sometimes, the removal tool might not remove registry entries and this is why it’s usually better to use a third-party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller.
Besides being easy to install and use, this tool scans for leftovers too. After you remove your antivirus, check if the problem persists.
Users reported that Norton antivirus is the common cause of this problem, but other antivirus tools can cause this problem as well.
Revo Uninstaller can help you to completely uninstall any stubborn application, including your antivirus.
3. Recreate your PIN
3.1 Remove your PIN
- Open the Settings app using the Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Navigate to the Accounts section.
- In the left pane, navigate to Sign-in options. Scroll down to the PIN section in the right pane and click on Remove.
- Windows will now ask you to confirm that you want to remove your PIN. Click on Remove.
- Now you’ll be asked to enter your account password. Enter it and click on OK.
This will remove your PIN. Now you just need to set it again.
3.2 Set up your new PIN
If the PIN isn’t working on Windows 10, you might be able to fix the problem simply by recreating it. According to users, simply by removing and recreating your PIN the issue was resolved.
After creating a new PIN the problem should be completely resolved.
4. Choose Sign-in options from the login screen
If the PIN is not working in Windows 10, you might not be able to log in at all. Several users reported that they managed to circumvent this problem by clicking on Sign-in options.
From them, you’ll be able to choose PIN sign-in or password sign-in.
Several users reported that simply by pressing the Tab key on their keyboard they managed to switch to password login.
After you do that, you’ll be able to click on Sign-in options and choose PIN login from the menu. This is a simple workaround, and it works according to users, so be sure to try it out.
5. Use I forgot my PIN option
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Accounts section.
- Navigate to Sign-in options in the left pane. Scroll down to the PIN section and click on I forgot my PIN.
- A confirmation message will appear. Click on Continue.
- Now enter a new PIN and click on OK.
Many users reported that PIN is not working for them in Windows 10. However, they managed to find a simple workaround that can solve this problem.
According to users, you just have to use I forgot my PIN option to fix this problem. To do that, follow the above steps.
Several users reported that they were asked to enter their Microsoft account password in order to proceed. However, Windows 10 wouldn’t accept the password.
If this happens, convert your Microsoft account to a local account and try to perform this solution again.
6. Uninstall Dell Data Protection security tools
Sometimes your PIN might not work properly due to third-party security tools.
Dell users reported that PIN is not working on their PC, and the main cause for this problem was Dell Data Protection security tools.
According to users, to fix this problem you need to uninstall these tools from your PC. There are three Dell Data Protection tools you need to remove in order to fix this problem.
After removing these tools, it’s recommended to clean your registry and remove any leftover entries related to these tools.
We already covered the best registry cleaner software, so feel free to use any of those tools to clean your registry.
Now you just have to recreate your PIN by following the steps from Solution 3. After doing that, the problem should be resolved and your PIN will start working.
7. Roll back to the previous build
- Open the Start Menu, click the Power icon, press and hold the Shift key and choose Restart from the menu.
- A list of options will now appear. Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options.
- Click on See more recovery options.
- Click on Go back to the previous build and choose your administrator account. If required, enter your administrator password.
- Once you’re ready to start, click on Go back to previous build button.
- The process will now start. Keep in mind that this can take a couple of hours to complete, so be sure not to interrupt the process.
Sometimes certain issues can occur after installing a new build of Windows 10. New builds might have some bugs that can cause this problem to occur.
If the PIN is not working in Windows 10, you might have to go back to the older build. This is relatively simple and you can do it by following the above steps.
It’s also worth mentioning that Roll back option isn’t always available. This option is available for couple of days after you install a major update.
If you performed a Disk Cleanup after the update, it’s possible that you removed the old version of Windows, so you won’t be able to go back to it.
This isn’t the most reliable solution, but several users reported that rolling back to the previous build fixed the problem for them, so you might want to try that.
8. Use the on-screen keyboard
If your PIN is not working on Windows 10, you might be able to fix the problem by using on-screen keyboard.
On the login screen there’s a virtual keyboard button that you can use to activate the on-screen keyboard.
After doing that, use the virtual keyboard to enter your PIN. This is a simple workaround, but few users reported that it works, so feel free to try this solution out.
9. Temporarily remove your laptop battery
Several users reported that they fixed this problem simply by removing their laptop battery.
According to users, they removed the battery and disconnected the laptop from the power adapter.
After doing that, they returned the battery and the problem was resolved. This is an unusual workaround, but few users claim that it works, so feel free to try it out.
10. Create a local account
10.1 Convert your Microsoft account to a local account
- Open the Settings app and go to the Accounts section.
- Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
- Enter the desired name for the new account and click on Next.
- Now click on Sign out and finish.
If PIN is not working, that could be due to problems with your user account. Your user account might be corrupted and that can cause this problem to appear.
To fix the issue, you need to convert your Microsoft account to a local account. You can do that by following the above steps.
After doing that, the problem with your PIN should be resolved.
If the issue still persists, it’s possible that your user account is corrupted so you’ll need to create a new one.
10.2 Create a new user account
- Open the Settings app and navigate to Accounts.
- From the menu on the left choose Family & other people.
- Click on Add someone else to this PC from Other people section.
- Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired username and click on Next.
After doing that, switch to the local account and check if the issue appears there as well. If not, you might have to move your personal files to the new account and use it as your main one.
11. Change your Group Policy settings
- Press Windows Key + R and enter gpedit.msc. Press Enter or click OK.
- When Group Policy Editor opens, in the left pane navigate to Administrative Templates, then System and Logon.
- In the right pane, double click on Turn on convenience PIN sign-in.
- Select Enabled and click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Users reported that they fixed the problem with PIN simply by making a few changes to their Group Policy.
Group Policy Editor is a useful feature that allows you to change various system settings, however, this feature isn’t available in the Home versions of Windows.
If you’re using the Home version, this solution won’t apply to you. To make changes to the Group Policy, do as described above.
After making the necessary changes, the issue should be resolved and you should be able to use PIN without any problems.
12. Change the Startup type of IPsec Policy Agent
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc.
- Press Enter or click OK.
- A list of services will now appear. Double click on IPsec Policy Agent to open its properties.
- Set the Startup type to Automatic and click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Your Windows uses various services in order to run properly. If the PIN is not working, you might be able to fix this issue by changing the Startup type of IPsec Policy Agent service.
To do that, you need to perform the above procedure. After making the necessary changes, restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
13. Restart your computer in the PIN phase
- When your PIN not being accepted, press and hold the ON/ OFF button for 20 seconds.
- Turn your computer back on.
- When the PIN dialog box appears enter the first digit of your PIN and stop.
- Press the Backspace button on your keyboard to delete the digit.
- Turn off the computer by clicking on the Power button from the bottom right corner of your screen.
- When a message appears that says other may be using the computer, click on Shut down anyway.
- Start your computer normally and enter your PIN again and see if it works.
This solution is only for the users that got their PIN rejected but they know for sure that their PIN is correct.
The PIN is a useful option if you don’t want to memorize long passwords, however, PIN issues such as this can emerge.
If your PIN and password aren’t working, your keyboard layout has probably changed. Or maybe something went wrong and your PIN isn’t available.
You might be unable to login to Windows 10, but fortunately for you, we already wrote about what to do if you can’t log in to Windows 10, so make sure to check this useful article for more solutions.
Not being able to use your PIN can be a big problem, and users reported several similar PIN-related problems. The most common variations of this problem are listed below:
- Something went wrong and your PIN isn’t available – This is a standard variation of this problem, so feel free to check out this quick guide for reliable solutions.
- Windows Hello PIN something went wrong – If you happen to encounter this error, note that it can be fixed with our previous solutions.
- Sorry, this PIN isn’t working for your organization – if that’s your problem too, try deleting the contents of the NGC folder and see if that helps.
- Windows 10 add PIN does nothing – This is another common problem that can appear on Windows 10. If this problem appears, you might not be able to add your PIN at all.
- Windows 10 PIN not working after update – Many users reported this issue after a major Windows update. New updates bring many changes and sometimes these changes can affect your PIN.
- Windows 10 PIN incorrect – Another problem that can occur with PIN codes on Windows 10 is the incorrect PIN problem. This is most likely a bug and you should be able to fix it with our solutions.
- Windows 10 cannot add PIN – Many Windows 10 users reported that they are unable to add PIN code. According to them, they are forced to use a password login instead.
- Windows 10 PIN not showing – Several users reported that their PIN isn’t showing at all on Windows 10. In some more serious cases, you might not even see the PIN section at all.
- PIN not working laptop HP, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Asus – According to users, this issue can appear on almost any laptop. Users reported this problem on various models from major manufactures including HP, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Asus, and others.