Sometimes you might want to schedule certain tasks, especially if you don’t have enough time to do them manually. If you want to learn more about scheduling on Windows 10, today we’re going to show you how to schedule shutdown on Windows 10.
Steps to schedule shutdown on Windows 10
If you can’t shutdown your computer manually for some reason, you might want to schedule a shutdown. This is extremely useful if you leave your computer to do something during the night, or if you have to leave your computer for a few hours while you do some errands.
So, let’s answer the question, how to schedule a shutdown on Windows 10?
Method 1 – Use Run dialog, Command Prompt or PowerShell to schedule a shutdown
To do this you need to use Run dialog, Command Prompt or PowerShell. The command is the same for any of them. To start the Run dialog just press Windows key + R. If you want to run Command Prompt or PowerShell you can search it from Search bar.
Now all that you have to do is type this into Run dialog, Command Prompt or PowerShell and press Enter:
We have to mention that 600 represents the number of seconds, so in this example your computer will turn off automatically after 10 minutes. You can experiment with different values and set the one you want.
Method 2 – Use Task Scheduler to schedule a shutdown
If you want more control over a shutdown schedule you should use Task Scheduler. To set up shutdown schedule using a Task Scheduler do the following:
- Start Task Scheduler. You can start it by going to the Start Menu typing schedule in the Search bar and choosing Schedule tasks.
- When Task Scheduler opens click the Create Basic Task.
- Enter the name for your task, for example Shutdown.
- Now choose When do you want the task to start. In our case we’ll choose One time.
- Now enter the time and date when the task will be executed.
- Next choose Start a program.
- Click the Browse button and go to C:WindowsSystem32 and select a file called shutdown. Then click Open.
- Now just in Add arguments field add -s, and then click Next.
- Now you should see the task information. You can check it one last time, and if you’re pleased with your settings click Finish to schedule a shutdown.
Recommended: use a dedicated software to help with shutdown in Windows 10
Windows Shutdown Assistant is a software that allow you to shut down your PC at the set time automatically. You can also set it to shut down in other situations such as system idle, excessive CPU usage or low battery.
It can also support log off, restart and locking up of computer automatically. Thus, we recommend you to download the free version of the program before deciding whether it’s worth your money or not.
That’s it, you now know how to schedule a shutdown in Windows 10. If you have any questions, just reach for the comments below.
Editor’s Note – this article was originally published back in December, 2015. Since then, we’ve updated it to include a dedicated tool that would help with the shutdown process in Windows 10.