- Reducing file size is extremely useful nowadays to keep your device memory clean for optimal functioning.
- There are numerous dedicated tools on the market, but below we list only the best ones.
- We also have software recommendations to tune up your OS, so visit the Optimization section.
- In the File Management Hub on the website, you'll find everything you need to know about file management software.
Shrinking file size is a great method to use less storage space on your PC. A compressed file keeps the same quality as the original one, but the unneeded data in the file is removed.
By compressing files, you’ll be able to store more files in your available storage space. Another benefit that comes as a result of compressing data involves bandwidth and transfer speed.
There are many file shrinking programs out there, and you might find it difficult to choose one.
This is why we created a list of the best file compression tools that will surely make your work easier and more efficient.
What are the best file-shrinking tools for Windows 10?
Our first recommendation would be WinZip – an extremely popular file encryption and compression tool.
This software is useful to share, compress and backup files.
Additionally, you can also use WinZip for other file management operations such as finding, opening, editing, or moving files stored on PCs, networks, or cloud services.
The tool comes fully integrated with Dropbox, G-Suite, or OneDrive.
Some of the key features of WinZip are:
- File compression & file merge
- Data Backup
- Cloud support
- Data protection
- PDF conversion & watermarking
Compress, share, protect, and backup your important large files with this popular tool for Windows.
This archiver is quite a powerful tool that allows you to create, control and manage archive files.
The program supports RAR and ZIP 2.0 archives, algorithms optimized for text, graphics, audio, 32-bit, and 64-bit Intel executable compression.
You can manage archives straight from Windows Explorer due to the shell integration.
The tool also features the drag-and-drop facility and cascaded context menus.
More of the main advantages this tool brings:
- Wizards for beginners; command-line interface for the most advanced users.
- A compression ratio of 10% to 50% over the standard methods.
- Multivolume and self-extracting archives options.
- Valuable extra tools including scan, convert, hardware test, and benchmark.
- Lock, test, repair, or recover physically damaged archives or volumes.
Compress, encrypt, package and backup your most important documents with this efficient tool.
There is nothing to complain about this file shrinking tool as it works very reliably and will not cause any crashes or performance issues.
This program creates files up to 40% smaller than those of more common zipping techniques.
Some of the most important features of 7Zip are:
- 7z-compression format with LZMA compression
- Supported formats for packing are ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, and TAR; unpacking formats are RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, and DEB.
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format.
- Integration with Windows Shell.
- Powerful File Manager.
- Plugin for FAR Manager.
- Localizations for 59 languages.
These days, everyone stores data in the cloud in order to access all of their files remotely.
But not everyone likes this option or is willing to pay for cloud storage.
You can now compress files by up to 98% with PKZIP. This tool allows you to save valuable storage space and also to perform transfers easier.
Check out its most important features:
- Compress and encrypt files straight from Microsoft Office using SecureZIP.
- Support for AES or 3DES strong encryption.
- Integration with Microsoft Outlook as well, and automatic encryption of any email or attachment.
- Option to forward encrypted emails without the need to download and resave files.
- The Professional edition features high-security support; Outlook integration; and command line integration.
With the help of this tool, you will be able to compress your existing PDF files and documents by 40-75% and to preserve their original visual quality as well.
The tool will not create a zip or a RAR archive, and there will be no unzipping needed.
The optimized PDF files will be much smaller, and they’ll turn out perfect for sharing online and via email. You also have the opportunity to compress more PDF files at once with the help of the batch process.
More key features of the program:
- Optimize pictures, graphics, objects and internal PDF structure.
- Edit, view and change it without the need to unzip.
- Search and find all PDF files via the integrated search assistant.
In case you have a cluttered hard disk, purchasing additional storage is not always the best solution, even if the larger hard drives are becoming more affordable these days.
ZipGenius is perfect for Windows, and it’s a freeware as well.
Some of the most important features:
- It handles over 20 compressed archive types.
- User-friendly, especially for novices.
- Multi-language support.
- Five different compression levels.
- Full customization and integration in Windows Explorer.
- Self-extracting exe files, complete with custom setup launch and icon.
- Extra features such as encryption, scanner support, backup features, statistics, a download time calculator, disk spanning, file export and more.
PeaZip Portable is the perfect package in case you want to use a free file archiver and compressing tool without having to modify your system.
The tool is perfect when you prefer natively portable software as a replacement for installable programs.
You can also take it with you on a USB stick. The program is also ideal in case you want to try it without having to install anything on your system. All you have to do is extract and use it and delete its folder when you decide to remove the app. It’s that simple!
Other essential features:
- Compress to 7Z, ARC, BZ2, GZ, *PAQ, PEA, QUAD/BALZ, TAR, UPX, WIM, XZ, ZIP format.
- Read (open, view, extract) 150+ archive types.
- Support for a vast array of advanced file and archive management features (search, bookmarks, thumbnail viewer, verify the hash, find duplicate files, file converter).
- Strong encryption (AES, Serpent, Twofish), two-factor authentication, encrypted password manager, secure data delete.
In case you need help opening ZIP and RAR files, this compression tool targeted at Windows will enable you to open 47 different compression and encoding formats extremely easy.
Check out the key features of this compression program below:
- Open a multitude of compressed files like ZIP, ZIPX, and RAR.
- Built-in file viewer for viewing pictures and text files.
- Protect data with strong AES 256-bit encryption.
- Bulk file extraction using the Batch Tool.
- Compatiblity with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and Server editions.
These were the top file shrinking tools for Windows that we picked for you.
Check them all out and stick with the one that fits your data compression needs best.