- Slack is great for collaboration, but in order to ensure that you have the latest features and security patches, it’s important to keep Slack up to date.
- In case Slack won’t update manually, you need to check your Internet connection or manually check for updates.
- Slack is one of the best productivity applications, but if you want to learn more about it, we suggest you check our productivity software section.
- For additional in-depth guides regarding Slack, we advise you to visit our Slack errors hub.
Seeing that Slack will not update is no joy. It doesn’t really appear to be a widespread problem, yet such cases do appear from time to time.
The point is that the company is gradually rolling out various updates to make sure your experience gets a whole lot snappier and free of any broken features.
For example, the latest December update includes automatic formatting on desktop, so you have the chance to see exactly what your messages look like before you send them.
On top of that, there’s a new data residency notable tweak. The feature now helps organizations select the region where certain types of customer data are stored. Such major improvements are tagging along in Slack’s updates.
But if some of these new features affect your Slack in any way and prevent it from updating properly, here are some things that you could try.
What can I do when Slack will not update?
- Sign in to your Slack workspace.
- Visit https://my.slack.com/help/test.
- Now, note the results for WebSocket (Flannel [Primary]) and WebSocket (Flannel [Backup]).
- Here you should see a checked circle icon.
The Slack client for Windows and Mac automatically checks for updates from time to time. Therefore, a reliable Internet connection is required.
Your job is to make sure it has one or correct the issue if you see the warning icon: Slack does not connect to the Internet.
- Click the Hamburger Menu at the top left of the Slack screen.
- Hit Help.
- Click Check for Updates.
If you’d like to skip the waiting and manually update Slack, here’s how to do it. Just remember the above steps are for the Windows Slack client.
Older versions of Slack desktop app can result in connection issues and bugs of all kind, but don’t overthink it
. Slack usually announces updates that are rolling out gradually over a few weeks, so venturing on a wild goose chase and trying to find one that doesn’t even exist isn’t the best thing to do.
Make sure instead to keep track of the updates by heading over to the Updates and Changes page for each of its clients. Here’s where you may find them, depending on which client you’re using:
- Windows Client Slack Updates/Change Log
- Mac Client Slack Updates/Change Log
- Web Browser Client Slack Updates / Change Log
Conclusion on Slack cannot update issues
Updates bring several improvements and make bugs less frustrating, so it isn’t pleasant to see that sometimes Slack won’t update. If that’s the issue you’re dealing with as well, give the above tips a try as they work every time.
Do tell if you have any further questions or suggestions in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
To update Slack manually, click the Hamburger menu in the Slack app and choose Help > Check for updates.
Yes, Slack is secure to use, but to ensure maximum security it’s advised that you keep it up to date at all times.
Slack is used for instant messaging, voice and video calls and file sharing between team members.
Slack desktop is a Windows version of the Slack client.