- Hiding your folders on Windows PC is a great way to protect your privacy when you have to share a computer with other people. This way, you can place sensitive files in hidden folders.
- In this article, we selected the best software applications that can help you hide your folders and take control of your privacy. Make sure to thoroughly explore all options before making a decision.
- For extra security, you might want to encrypt files and folders.
- Visit our Security and Privacy hub for more cool guides!
Keeping your private files and folders hidden from prying eyes is extremely important no matter if you’re holding records for your company, or just those pictures you’ve taken for your wedding.
Even though Windows 10 has a built-in feature that allows you to hide files and folders, it is not efficient as anybody with access to your computer can unhide the files easily.
Another downside of using this option to hide your folders is the fact that it doesn’t support FAT32 encryption, and it’s not available in Home Edition of Windows 10.
In this article, we will explore some of the best software options on the market that can increase the security of your hidden folders to the next level, allowing you to even hide folders on a USB stick. Read on to find out more.
Wise Folder Hider
Wise Folder Hider is a great software that allows you to easily hide specific folders, photos, videos, and other personal data on your Windows 10 PC, and these options come completely free.
This software has a user-friendly interface that makes the entire process oh hiding your valuables files easy, but it also offers other useful features.
Here are some of its best features:
- Ability to lock the software with a password
- After hiding folders/files you can set a second level password that assures nobody but you can get access
- Can hide files and folders on USB drives
- Easy editing for hidden and locked files – you can modify any part of the content without the need to reveal/unlock the item first
- Automatically adds a Hide File/Folder to your context menu
The free version of this software allows you to use double password protection, hide files and folder, and also USB drives.
The paid version of this software, Wide Folder Hider Pro includes all the features found in the free version, but it also has:
- Encrypt files and folders
- Automatically recover passwords
- Automatic updates
- Premium tech support
Lock and Hide Folder
As the name suggests, Lock and Hide Folder is a great lightweight piece of software that allows you to effortlessly lock and then hide any folder on Windows 10 PC.
Using a tool like this gives you peace of mind that no matter what happens with your hard-drive, the private information contained in your hidden and locked folders will always be safe.
One of the best features found in Lock and Hide Folder is its ability to remove every link that shows that you’ve previously accessed the specific folder.
Beyond this, you can add a password to increase the privacy even more, and can also run the software in stealth mode.
Using this mode means that no one using your computer will ever know that this software is installed.
Here are some other useful features found in this software:
- Can hide an unlimited number of folders using 256-bit Blowfish Encryption
- Can be set up so the software makes some files accessible and others not
- The hidden folders are removed from Windows Explorer
- Nobody can get access to your protected folders even if they try re-installing Windows, booting in Safe Mode
- If the software is removed the folders still remain hidden
- Isn’t available in Control Panel, thus making it hard to uninstall
Hide Folders is another great software option that allows you easily keep your private folders hidden from any possible intrusion on your Windows 10 PC.
Because this software is released under GNU General Public License, this software is free for both personal and commercial use.
This software works by hiding specific folders that you choose to be hidden, and also allows you to set a password for opening up the Hide Folders app.
You can also choose to remove all traces of this software’s existence off your hard-drive (from programs menu).
Compared to the other software options we explored in this article, Hide Folders is a lot simpler in the way it was built, but still offers much better protection than the ‘Hide files’ option built into Windows 10.
Here are some of the best features found in Hide Folders:
- Folders stay hidden even in Windows Safe Mode
- Great user-friendly interface
- No learning curve
- Can hide an unlimited number of folders
- If the program is uninstalled, that doesn’t reveal your folders
- Folders can be revealed only after using the preset password
Anvi Folder Locker
Anvi Folder Locker is extremely useful and provides you with a quick and easy way to understand and use software that can help you increase the level of your privacy. You can hide folders with just a few clicks but doesn’t offer any encryption features.
You can also set passwords for accessing specific files and folders, as well as add custom permissions to any file. This allows you to choose if a file can or can not be modified, destructed, or removed.
In this article, we explored some of the best software options that will help you hide and lock your folders.
As we already established that the built-in ‘Hide Files’ option of Windows 10 is not very effective, using the tools we presented in this list will surely increase your computer’s security level.
Please let us know what software option did you choose and how it worked out for you by using the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about folder security
- How to hide a folder in Windows 10?
The easiest way to hide a folder in Windows 10 is by using one of the software solutions on this list. No computer skills are necessary.
- How to hide a folder in Windows 10 with password?
Check out the best tools to encrypt files and folders on Windows PC. You can use them to hide folders using password protection.
- How to fix folder in use error?
If you’re getting a “file/folder in use” error on Windows, take a look at our quick-fix guide.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.