FTP clients offer a streamlined solution for downloading and uploading files by establishing a connection to a remote device. Compared to using the web interface, a FTP client comes with many advantages.
For instance, you can resume file transfers if the internet connection was lost, schedule tasks to run automatically, and bypass the size limitations for file transfers set by the web UI (2 Gb per file).
FTP clients deliver amazing speed and are incredible easy to use. But it all boils down to finding the right software application for the job. And we think that a great contender is Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional.
- Quickly transfer files between your PC and a remote server
- Backup, sync, task scheduler, encryption
- Free to try
- No forever-free version
Wrapped in a user-friendly interface, Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional is a Windows tool you can use to swiftly transfer files from your computer to a local or remote machine, or vice versa. The automated FTP software solution features many practical options, suitable for rookies and skilled users alike.
Before getting our final verdict for Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional, take a look at its editions, system prerequisites, setup operation, and interface.
Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional free trial
The FTP client isn’t free to use, but you can evaluate its entire set of options and configuration settings during a 30-days free trial. There are no feature restrictions. Once the trial is over, you can either remove WS_FTP from your PC or purchase a software license.
Three types of licenses are up for grabs. WS_FTP Professional Client is available for a single user and comes with a 30-days money-back guarantee. WS_FTP Professional with Support is available for a single user, too, but also comes with a 1-year support (community and email).
Lastly, WS_FTP Professional, Multiple Users offers standard, online support for multiple users and gives you the possibility to centrally manage your licenses. This plan provides you with 5 licenses.
Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional system requirements
Before getting WS_FTP, make sure your system meets these conditions:
- Processor: at least 1 Ghz CPU
- Memory: 1 Gb RAM minimum
- Hard drive: about 16 Gb and 50 Mb for program installation
- OS: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Server 2016, Server 2012 R2
Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional installation
It’s necessary to sign up for a free account to be able to download the FTP client (email confirmation isn’t required). The install operation is easy, thanks to familiar wizard steps. After accepting the license agreement, you can change the default destination folder and create program shortcuts.
Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional interface
At startup, you’re greeted by a connection wizard that can help you save connection information to quickly connect to a a site using a FTP server, in order to download and upload files.
As far as the graphical interface is concerned, WS_FTP has a standard main window with a neatly organized layout. You can use two panes to access two locations at the same time and transfer files using drag-and-drop support.
Dual panes with multiple tabs
It’s as simple as using a version of Windows Explorer that allows multiple tabs. Furthermore, you can improve the dual pane functionality by opening multiple tabs in each pane, in order to easily reach additional locations and perform file transfers.
Each pane has its file management buttons, like browse location, rename file, or refresh. On top of this area, you can quickly connect to a site by entering its address, username, and password.
On the bottom part of the main window, you can use the transfer manager for pending tasks, transfer history to keep track of WS_FTP’s activity, and a connection log.
Great FTP client with powerful tools
All aspects considered, Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional is a great piece of software for helping you easily download and upload files to a remote server. The FTP client is equipped with powerful options and configuration settings, such as a task scheduler, integrated desktop search, and MultiPart mode for transferring large files faster.
Surprisingly, the application doesn’t put a strain on computer performance. It also finishes file uploading and downloading fast. If you’re not around your computer, you can instruct WS_FTP to send you email notifications.
Although its comprehensive features are suitable for experienced users, the FTP client is intuitive enough to also be used by beginners. Besides, if you stumble upon any issues, you can always check out the resourceful help documentation available offline.
Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional FAQ
- Is Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional free?
WS_FTP isn’t free to use. However, you can test its complete set of features during the first 30 days for free.
- Is Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional safe?
WS_FTP is a legitimate piece of software designed to transfer files between your PC and another device, whether it’s local or remote. It doesn’t contain malware, so it’s perfectly safe to download, install, and use.
- What is the best FTP program?
Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional is at the top of our list when it comes to the best FTP programs for your Windows PC. However, if you’re looking for alternatives to WS_FTP, you should check out FileZilla, FlashFXP, and WinSCP.
Overview of Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional features
- File transfers: FTP, FTPS/SSL (AUTH SSL), FTPS/Implicit SSL, local, HTTP, HTTPS, SFTP/SSH
- File integrity: check file integrity with MD5, SHA1, CRC32, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512
- Site manager: create unlimited file transfer connections and organize sites by folder
- Link folders: sync the navigation in two panes to repeat actions from one pane to the other
- Post-task actions: quit the program or shut down your PC once all transfers are done
- Backups: copy files from one place to another for safekeeping
- Sync: mirror the contents of any two folders (local from/to remote, local to local, remote to remote)
- OpenPGP: encrypt and optionally sign files with AES, CAST-5, Triple-DES, IDEA, Blowfish
- Search: look up local or remote files and use advanced filters like size and modified date
- Desktop search: find file content using Windows Search, Copernic, or Google Desktop Search
- Scheduler: create one-time or recurrent automated file transfer tasks
- Scripts: create, run, and schedule scripts to extend the FTP client’s functionality
- Email notifications: schedule email alerts on various events related to the FTP client
- Logging: save files with logging details about sessions and transfers
- Compression: zip files to reduce their size, make room for new data, apply passwords
- Batch: place all transfers in a manager and start all pending operations with one click
- MultiPart: transfer large files faster by splitting them into smaller parts to process at once
- Thumbnails: download images from remote servers to create and view thumbnails
- SSL: manage client certificates and trusted authorities with AES-256, AES-128, Triple-DES, IDEA, DES
- FIPS: operate the cryptographic module in FIPS 140-2 mode
- Firewall: edit network settings to get past remote firewalls in HTTP, SOCKS5, and other modes
- Software Version
- Free trial
- FTP, file transfer