Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Even if Steam is a popular service among gamers, it isn't free of issues, and the access denied error is one of them.
- Because Steam might temporarily restrict access from certain IP addresses, we strongly recommend using a VPN.
- Another great solution to today's issue is verifying the Steam Integrity Files.
Although Steam is a popular service among gamers, it still has its fair share of issues now and then. One of the most frequent issues that still surprises us is the Steam access is denied error.
Many users complained that this error might sometimes linger and can be a pain to get rid of, no matter what you try.
Therefore, we compiled a list of the most effective (tested) methods you could apply to eliminate this annoying issue.
In addition, we consider properly presenting a list of the most common reasons that explain this irritating error, so make sure you read them carefully.
Why am I getting the Steam access denied error?
Even if this problem can happen all of a sudden, and most of the time, it goes away after simply refreshing the page or restarting the app; there are several other reasons you should be aware of:
- Access restricted from certain IP addresses – In this case, we strongly recommend switching your IP address by using specialized software and we’re going to recommend the best on the market.
- DNS cache – These might generate security or Internet connectivity-related problems that are also some of the most important causes of the Steam access denied error. Flushing DNS will clear your cache’s IP addresses or other DNS records. In addition, you can also try to change your DNS. It is a simple process, and we’ll show you how to perform it efficiently.
- Integrity of files – The Steam access denied error could also occur due to missing textures or other content in-game, so you’ll have to verify if the Steam game’s files are installed correctly.
- Antivirus software – Some antivirus software might have set some too protective rules blocking your access on Steam. In this particular situation, it’s best to manage them according to your needs.
Our guide will cover the entire spectrum of issues mentioned above and give you access to a quick and efficient solution for each situation. Make sure to follow them strictly to avoid causing any other problems.
Moreover, users reported similar issues that can also be fixed with the solutions below. Here are the most common ones:
- Steam Access denied 0x5 – It could help to run Steam in administrator mode.
- Reference 18 Steam Access Denied – Check if the servers are working correctly.
- Steam access denied 15 – You may obtain this outcome while submitting, accepting, refusing, or canceling a trade offer.
- Steam end process access denied – Check the game files to ensure they are intact.
- GeForce Now Steam access denied – In order to play games from their Steam library, users of Steam will need to download the GeForce Now software and connect their Steam account to the GeForce Now service.
- Steam app access denied – Sometimes, because of lengthy activity on the Steam account and changes in system security settings during that time, your action may be viewed as interrogative, which will result in a Steam Access Denied message.
Let’s jump into the list of solutions to the Steam access denied issue without further ado. Follow along!
How can I fix the Steam access denied on this server error?
1. Check if the servers are down
If it’s a service-wide error that affects all Steam users, you can be sure that Valve already knows about it and is doing its best to solve it quickly.
We’ve briefly mentioned at the beginning of our guide that most of the time, the Steam access denied error seems to sort itself out.
Therefore, if you’ve already tried all of our suggested fixes and nothing seems to work, the problem may be on Steam’s side.
In this case, your best course of action is simply waiting for Valve to take care of this situation. In the meantime, you can check the Steam server situation.
2. Use a specialized VPN
It’s not unheard of that sometimes; Steam might temporarily restrict access from certain IP addresses.
This is precisely why an issue such as the Steam access denied error exists. Maybe there were too many requests from your IP address; who knows?
To rule out an IP block, even a temporary one, you can try changing your IP address and see if you’re still getting the error message.
VPNs such as Private Internet Access are one of the most effective ways to change your IP address since they encrypt traffic and spoof your location.
Private Internet Access has an extremely user-friendly interface, being one of the most easy-to-use and popular VPNs around the world.
It offers thousands of servers located in more than 70 countries. Plus, with its ultra-strong encryption generated with the AES-256 bit model, this VPN will always make sure that user data stays safe and is not discovered by cyber-criminals.
PIA’s manufacturers have started offering dedicated IP addresses to customers. By this, you have to consider having the same public IP address every time you connect to the VPN.
Also, Private Internet Access includes a multi-hop feature that routes your traffic through two VPN servers instead of just one.
Check out Private Internet Access’s most important features:
- Tons of servers in worldwide locations
- AES-256 bit encryption
- Multi-hop features
Private Internet AccessTry PIA if you want to hide your IP address and encrypt your online traffic while running Steam.
3. Flush your DNS
- Hit the Windows key, type cmd, right-click on the first result, then choose to Run as an administrator.
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each one:
netsh winsock reset
- Restart your computer
Cached data build-ups can sometimes be confusing for your connection and could even render some addresses unreachable.
Clearing your DNS cache (also called flushing your DNS) might seem complicated, but it’s really not.
Just follow the steps above and the Steam access denied error may vanish for good. Don’t forget to restart your PC after running the last command.
4. Change your DNS
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard. Type control and press Enter key to open the Control Panel.
- Select Network and Internet.
- Go to the Network and Sharing Center.
- Select the Change adapter settings option.
- Right-click your active network and select Properties.
- Locate and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click on Properties.
- Select the Use the following DNS server addresses option.
- Type the following values in the appropriate fields:
Preferred DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
Alternate DNS Server: 220.127.116.11
- Click OK to save the changes
A limited DNS server can cause various connectivity issues or conflicts with the Steam client.
With that in mind, you may want to try to switch to a better DNS alternative other than your ISP-assigned one.
There are various free public DNS servers you can use, and we’ll teach you how to perform this configuration safely.
Keep in mind that you can use any third-party DNS server you prefer. The one we used in our example is Google’s public DNS, and it works great.
5. Verify Integrity of Steam Files
- Hit the Windows key, search for Steam, then open the app.
- If you’re not logged in, input your credentials, then click on Log In.
- Now, from the main menu, click on Library.
- Right-click the affected game and select Properties.
- Go to the Local Files tab.
- Click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files button.
- Wait for the file validation to come to an end.
If the error is occurring while accessing a specific game, you may want to verify the integrity of files to check if the files are installed correctly. Steam offers a built-in solution to do the same. Here is how to do it.
Steam will scan the files for the game you selected and will try to validate them.
If you receive a success message at the end of the scan, your game files are correctly installed. Thus, the issue was not caused by the game files.
6. Manage antivirus/firewall rules
Checking security software on your computer for rules against certain services is always a good start when encountering connection issues.
For instance, if your firewall blocks traffic to and from specific apps, such as Steam, they might not work as intended.
In turn, you may encounter error messages such as the Steam access denied one. The same goes for antivirus/antimalware software that you installed on your PC.
If security software has decided that Steam or some of its services are bad for your PC and should be blocked, you may encounter connectivity issues.
Can’t connect to Steam even though I have Internet?
Sometimes, problems with a network may be traced back to a piece of malfunctioning hardware, such as a router or a switch. Or by usage behaviors that were not expected. Such are spikes in the network’s available bandwidth and variations in the application’s setup.
However, the error that is being issued by Steam might also be the result of problems with their systems or security breaches that they have had.
We recommend that you take a look at our guide with 6 methods to fix Steam connection issues.
What other Steam errors should I be aware of?
You should know that the Steam access denied error is not the only one that might occur while running this app. Because it is important to be aware of and prevent all the threats that you might face, take a look at the following list:
- AppHangB1 error on Steam – This usually causes your PC to become unresponsive or extremely slow, so it can be extremely annoying. Fortunately, we’ve prepared some solutions that will certainly solve this issue.
- Application load error 65432 on Steam – It seems like this error message pops up for some players when they try to launch Skyrim and other Bethesda games.
- Application load error 5:0000065434 in Steam – According to some users, this error appears when they start the game from Nexus Mod Manager. However, it also loads fine if they start it from Steam. If you’re curious about solving this annoying problem, make sure you check our dedicated guide.
- General Steam errors on Windows 10 – We’ve also compiled an article that indicates the most popular Steam errors on Windows 10 and their easiest fixing solutions. We strongly recommend saving this guide somewhere for bad days.
All things considered, if you’ve experienced the dreaded Steam access denied error, there are some ways that you could fix it.
However, sometimes the issue may be on Steam’s side, in which case you should just wait for Valve to sort things out.
In case you encounter additional questions regarding today’s subject, feel free to use the comment section below.