- SteamVR 306 can arise due to certain SteamVR updates, outdated or incorrectly installed GPU drivers, or certain conflicting software.
- Driver updater software can sometimes fix and software issues like starting SteamVR 306.
- Uninstalling certain conflicting software might resolve the SteamVR failed to initialize for unknown reasons 306 .
- Some users might need to check how their VR devices are connected with PCs to fix the shared IPC compositor connect failed 306 .
SteamVR is a virtual reality platform that’s compatible with Vive, Windows Mixed Reality, and Oculus Rift headsets.
However, error 306 can arise for some users when they try to launch SteamVR. The full error 306 message says this:
Error Starting SteamVR – SteamVR failed to initialized for unknown reasons (Error: Shared IPC Compositor Connect Failed (306))
SteamVR doesn’t start when that issue arises. If you need to fix the SteamVR 306 error, check out these potential resolutions for that issue.
How can I fix SteamVR error code 306?
1. Update your drivers
There are a few ways you can update your graphics card’s driver, but the most straightforward method is to utilize driver updater software.
A quick DriverFix scan will display a detailed report that shows driver versions for your PC’s devices and which ones need new drivers.
Thereafter, you can select to update your graphics card’s driver if required. DriverFix will then download your GPU’s latest driver for you.
If you’re utilizing DriverFix Pro, you can then select an Automatically Install option to quickly install the driver without needing to extract and open its setup wizard.
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
DriverFixKeep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
2. Connect your VR cable with your graphics card’s primary port
- First, disconnect the HDMI cable for your monitor from the main port on your desktop graphics card.
- Then plug the VR cable (from the VR box) into the graphics card’s Main Port/Primary Port.
- Reconnect your monitor via your graphics card’s secondary port.
- If your SteamVR app is running, close and restart it to see if the error 306 issue persists.
3. Opt into SteamVR Beta Update
- Open your Steam client software.
- Select the Library tab in Steam.
- Right-click SteamVR on the left of the Library tab to select its properties window.
- Select the Betas tab shown directly below.
- Then choose the beta – SteamVR Beta Update option on the drop-down menu.
- Press the Close button.
5. Clean boot Windows
- Open the Run window.
- Input this run command in the Open box:
- Click the Selective Startup radio button.
- Deselect the Load startup items setting.
- Make sure you’ve selected the Load system services and Use original boot configuration checkboxes.
- Deselect the checkbox for Hide all Microsoft services shown directly below.
- Click Disable all to disable remaining third-party services.
- Select the Apply option to save the new settings.
- Select the OK option to close the MSConfig utility.
- Select the Restart option on the dialog box that opens.
- Then try launching SteamVR after clean-booting Windows.
Note: Steam confirms Razer Synapse, Avast Antivirus, and the Asus AI Suite conflict with SteamVR and its drivers. So, uninstalling those conflicting programs might also help resolve SteamVR error 306.
6. Uninstall Natural Locomotion
- To launch Run, press the Windows and R keys at the same time.
- Input this command for opening the Windows uninstaller in the Open text box:
- Select the Natural Locomotion software within the Programs and Features applet.
- Click the Uninstall option for Natural Locomotion to remove that software.
- Press the Windows + E hotkey to launch File Explorer.
- Open the config folder in File Explorer at this path:
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config
- Right-click the locomotion subfolder and select Delete.
Those are some of the more probable fixes for resolving SteamVR error 306 that are worth a shot.
You can also contact Steam via the Steam support page if further potential resolutions for error 306 are required.