Why you should disable Fullscreen Optimizations on Windows 10
Microsoft wants Windows 10 users to enjoy smooth gaming experiences on their computers.
For this reason, the company has optimized the operating system so as to find the perfect balance between users’ hardware configurations and the system requirements of the games they’re running.
There’s a Windows 10 gaming-oriented feature that’s still pretty controversial among users. It’s called Fullscreen Optimizations and its role is to boost gaming performance and deliver a borderless full screen for you to enjoy your games.
Unfortunately, many reports suggest that, paradoxically, this feature triggers FPS drops.
Windows 10 Full-screen Optimizations: ON or OFF?
Googling around and reading other posts on this sub, it seems like this is a very controversial subject. […] I’ve seen posts saying to most definitely disable it on games like Overwatch and CS:GO.
On the other hand, I’ve seen posts from MSFT engineers and comments expressing how great the feature is and how it’s actually supposed to improve performance slightly.
To use full screen optimizations or not – that is the question
Judging by user reports, it seems that the best solution is to simply disable full screen optimizations. Many gamers described this option as a strange hybrid Fullscreen Exclusive/Borderless display mode that’s not as great as Microsoft says.
Moreover, certain games are particularly affected by low FPS issues when players enable full screen optimizations.
Here’s how yo can disable Fullscreen Optimizations:
- Right-click on the .exe file of your game > go to Properties
- Go to the compatibility option
- Check the ‘Disable fullscreen optimizations‘ box> hit Apply.
Right-click doesn’t work? Don’t worry, we’ve got the right solution for you.
You can also uncheck the option ‘Show game bar when I play full screen games Microsoft has verified‘ from the gaming section of the Settings app.
For more information on how to fix frequent Windows 10 gaming issues, check out the troubleshooting steps listed below:
- How to fix Game DVR issues on Windows 10
- Full Fix: Games Crash in Windows 10, 8,1, 7
- Fix: Computer crashes while playing games in Windows 10
If you have additional questions or maybe some suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll surely check them out.
- Download Tencent Gaming Buddy PUBG Mobile emulator for PC
- 5 best USB C gaming mice [UPDATED LIST 2019]
- 5 best free online game platforms for quick gaming sessions in 2019
- Which Android emulator is best for gaming on PC?