How to fix Windows 10 low FPS issues
Windows updates usually fix numerous OS issues. However, some users have also found that the Anniversary and Creators updates have lowered their laptops’ or desktops’ FPS (frames per second) frame rate. This has caused frame rates to drop down to 10-20 FPS for some games running in Windows 10.
The Windows 10 Creators Update introduced an enhanced Game bar for the new Game Mode. The Game bar enables you to broadcast gameplay, quickly open the Xbox app, record brief clips and capture gaming snapshots. This might sound great, but the FPS drop is largely due to the enhanced Game bar. Here are a few potential fixes that might restore the FPS back to what it was before the Windows 10 Creators Update.
Fix low FPS on Windows 10
Solution 1 — Switch the Game bar off
The Game bar is switched on by default. First, switch the Game bar off via the Settings app. You can configure the Game bar’s settings as follows.
- First, press the Cortana button and enter ‘settings’ in the search box. Select to open the Settings app.
- Alternatively, you can also press the Win key + I hotkey to open Settings.
- Next, click Gaming to open the options shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Select Game bar on the left of the Settings window.
- Then toggle the Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar setting switch to Off.
- Below that setting there’s a Show game bar when I play full-screen games Microsoft has verified option. Uncheck that option’s check box so that it’s not selected.
Game Fire is a game booster that will get rid of LOW FPS, freezes, lags and other issues while playing. Download it now (free) for a better gaming experience.
Solution 2 — Switch off Game DVR
The Game bar includes Game DVR to record video so that you can capture clips of those more exciting gaming moments. Even though you’ve switched the game bar off, Game DVR still remains on. This is how you can disable the Game DVR.
- Open Cortana and enter ‘xbox’ in the search box.
- Select to open the Xbox app.
- Open Settings and then select the Game DVR tab.
- Turn the Take screenshots using Game DVR setting off.
- If switching Game DVR off with Xbox app isn’t enough, you can also disable it via the registry. Press the Win key + R to open Run.
- Enter ‘regedit’ in Run’s text box to open the Registry Editor.
- First, open this registry path in the editor’s window: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > System > GameConfigStore.
- Double-click the GameDVR_Enabled DWORD to open the Edit DWORD window directly below.
- Enter ‘0’ in the Value data text box, and click the OK button.
- Next, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft >Windows in the Registry Editor.
- Now you can right-click Windows and select New > Key to set up a registry key.
- Enter ‘GameDVR’ as the title for the new key.
- Right-click GameDVR and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value from the context menu. Then enter ‘AllowGameDVR’ as the DWORD’s title.
- Double-click the AllowGameDVR DWORD to modify its value. Enter ‘0’ in the Value data box, and press the OK button.
- Now you can close the Registry Editor and restart Windows.
Solution 3 — Update the Graphics Card Driver
The low FPS issue can also be due to an outdated graphics card driver. Maybe the graphics card driver needs updating. This is how you can update it in Windows 10.
- Open the Win + X menu by pressing the Win key + X hotkey.
- Select Device Manager on the Win + X menu.
- Now click Display adapters on the Device Manager window.
- Right-click the listed graphics card to open the context menu, and select the Update driver option.
- Select the Search automatically for updated driver software option on the Update Drivers window.
- If Windows finds anything, follow the further guidelines to install the driver; and then restart Windows.
It might also be worth manually checking for graphics card driver updates via the manufacturer’s website. You’ll need some further graphics card details that you can enter into the site’s search box.
Device Manager lists your graphics card (usually with model number), and you can also find further display details on the System Info window. Open the card manufacturer’s site in your browser, and enter the graphics card details in a driver search box, such as this one, to find pertinent drivers to download and install.
All of your drivers need updating, so we recommend you to download this driver updater tool (100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically. Disclaimer: some of the features of this tool are not free.
Solution 4 — Roll back the Creators Update
As the low FPS issue is seemingly due to the Creators update and its Game bar, restoring the previous build is another potential fix. Although the System Restore tool undoes minor updates, the major updates delete restore points. However, you can still roll back the Creators update to restore the previous Windows 10 version. Windows 10 includes a temporary option that enables you to restore the previous version, but this is only available for 10 days after the update. You can select that recovery option as follows.
- Enter ‘recovery’ in the Cortana search box.
- Select Recovery Options to open the window below.
- That window includes a Get started option under a Go back to previous version of Windows 10 subheading. If Windows updated less than 10 days ago, you can press that Get started button.
- Thereafter, a blue window opens asking why you’re going back? Just select any box there, and press the Next buttons to skip through the dialog boxes.
- The final button to press is Go back to earlier builds. Press that button to roll Windows 10 back to the previous version.
Those are a few fixes that will probably restore your Windows 10 frame rate back to what it was before the Creators update. Note that publishers also release updates to fix FPS issues for their games. You can also adjust the games’ settings to boost their FPS.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- EA Origin gamers receive some new tools, including an FPS counter
- Players confirm that Windows 10 Creators Update boosts game FPS
Errors like the avipbb.sys can be very frustrating for a beginner to fix. Even some professionals might encounter issues while fixing this error. Having this […]
Microsoft rolled out new features to Microsoft Teams — an enterprise chat-based collaboration solution. Enterprise users will find there is a new Microsoft Whiteboard integration […]