- Some users have been baffled by blank software shortcuts on their Windows 10 desktops.
- This troubleshooting guide includes some of the best resolutions for fixing blank icons in Windows 10.
- You can check out a plethora of troubleshooting guides at our Fix hub.
- Our thorough Software section includes easy-to-follow guides about this topic.
Some users have posted on Microsoft’s support forum about blank desktop icons. For those users, the Windows 10 desktop displays blank, white icons instead of the software icons.
However, desktop shortcuts do still open their software. This is what one user said of the issue in a forum post:
I am facing a problem that the icons of some shortcuts like XBOX, Weather, Calendar, etc. have a white blank icon only. But the apps are working properly by clicking on the shortcuts.
In today’s guide, we will explore this issue and discuss the best way to resolve it once and for all. If any of your icons are corrupted, check out our detailed guide on the topic.
How can I fix the blank desktop icons in Windows 10?
1. Manually change icons
- First, try manually changing the blank icons on the desktop by right-clicking their software shortcuts and selecting Properties.
- Click the Change Icon button on the Shortcut tab.
- Then you can select an alternative icon on the Change Icon window.
- Alternatively, click Browse to choose a downloaded icon.
- Click the OK button.
- Select the Apply option.
- Press the OK button to exit the window.
2. Run a System File Checker scan
- Click the Type here to search button on the left side of Windows 10’s taskbar.
- Input cmd in the search utility that opens.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth into the Command Prompt and press Enter before running a system file scan.
- Then input sfc /scannow and press Return to initiate your system file scan.
- Wait for the system scan to finish. Restart Windows if it repairs system files.
3. Rebuild the icon cache
- Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E keyboard shortcut for it.
- Click the View tab.
- Next, select the Hidden items checkbox.
- Open the following path:
C:\Users\(your user folder)\AppData\Local folder
- Right-click the IconCache.db file to select the Delete option.
- Click the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop.
- Click the Empty Recycle Bin option.
- Restart Windows 10 after deleting IconCache.db.
4. Disable tablet mode
- To disable tablet mode in Windows 10, click Settings on the Start menu.
- Click System to open further options.
- Click Tablet mode on the left of the Settings window.
- If tablet mode is selected, select Use desktop mode on the When I sign in menu.
- Restart Windows after selecting Use desktop mode.
5. Rollback Windows 10
- Press the Windows key and R at the same time to launch the Run accessory.
- Input rstrui in the Open box, and click the OK option.
- Select the Choose a different restore point option if the System Restore window includes it.
- Click the Next button to proceed.
- Click Show more restore points to fully expand the list of restore points.
- Select a restore point.
- You can click Scan for affected programs to see what software a selected restore point removes.
- Click Next to continue.
- Select the Finish option to roll back Windows 10.
6. Reset Windows
- Open the search utility in Windows 10.
- Type the keyword reset into the search utility.
- Click Reset this PC to open Settings as in the shot directly below.
- Click the Get started button to open the Reset this PC window.
- Click the Keep my files option.
- Press the Next and Reset buttons to restore Windows 10 to its factory settings.
The above resolutions are among the most likely fixes for blank desktop icons. A lot of users have been able to fix desktop icons with the System File Checker or by rebuilding the icon cache.
If these fixes aren’t enough to resolve the problem, we recommend that you try restoring or resetting Windows 10.