FIXED: Accidentally deleted Windows 10 recovery/boot partition
If you’re having problems with your Windows 10 computer and all the fixes that you’ve tried failed to work, then you’ve only got one solution left: use the operating system’s recovery options or recovery partition.
Recovery or restore partitions are dedicated memory sections on your hard drive that you can use to restore your machine to factory settings. So, if your computer keeps freezing or crashing, you can access the recovery partition to recover your system.
But if you accidentally deleted the recovery partition, you don’t be able to do that. You need to first recover the deleted partition. In this article, we’ll show you exactly how you can do that.
How to restore deleted recovery/boot partition in Windows 10
- Repair Boot Configuration Data
- Restore Recovery Partition using MiniTool Partition Wizard
- Reinstall Windows 10
1. Repair Boot Configuration Data
Running the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) command in Command Prompt may help you fix this problem. This command allows you to rebuild BCD and repair startup issues. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start your PC using the Windows 10 installation media
- Press and hold the Shift + F10 key combination and launch Command Prompt
- Enter the bootrec /fixmbr command to repair the Master Boot Record in case it’s corrupted or damaged > hit Enter
- Now, enter the following two command and hit Enter after each one:
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
- Reboot your computer > the deleted partition should now be restored.
If you’re getting the ‘Element not found‘ error when running the first command listed above, you need to mark the respective partition as active, otherwise you won’t be able to properly run the other two commands.
So, in Command Prompt, enter the following commands and hit Enter
- select disk 0
- list partition
- select partition #
You should now select ‘System Reserved’ or the Windows OS partition and mark it as active. To do that, simply enter ‘active‘ in CMD after having selected the partition and hit Enter.
2. Restore Recovery Partition using MiniTool Partition Wizard
MiniTool Partition Wizard is one of the best partition manager software that you can install on your Windows 10 computer. You can also use this tool to recover your recovery/boot partition. It is worth mentioning that MiniTool Partition Wizard supports older Windows versions as well.
- Go to PartitionWizard’s website and dowload MiniTool Partition Wizard
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software
- Launch the tool and you’ll see a list of all your partitions
- Right click the disk where you installed the deleted partition > select ‘Partition Recovery’
- Select ‘Full disk’ and ‘Full scan’ as scanning options > hit Next
- Once the scanning process is complete, the tool will display absolutely all the existing and deleted partitions > click Finish
- Return to the dashboard > select the deleted partition that you want to restore > allocate it a letter to activate it > hit Apply > OK
- The deleted recovery/boot partition should now be available again on your machine.
The free version of the tool allows you to scan your partitions, but if you want to recover deleted partitions, you need to install the premium version.
- Download now Minitool Partition Wizard Pro Version
3. Reinstall Windows 10
You can also restore deleted recovery/boot partitions by reinstalling the OS. Before using this solution, don’t forget to back up all your files.
The quickest way to reinstall Windows 10 is to use the Reset option from the Settings page. So, go to the Settings page >Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC and click on the ‘Get Started’ button.
Of course, there are other ways to install or reinstall Windows 10. We already have a series of articles on this topic and we’ll list two of them below:
- How to download and install Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
- The Refresh Windows tool reinstalls Windows without ISO
There you go, we hope that one of these three solutions helped you restore your recovery partition. If you’ve got additional suggestions on how to fix this issue, you can list them in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Top 6 antivirus with data recovery for 2018
- 5 best software to recover damaged Windows hard drive
- Here’s how you can recover deleted videos on PC
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]