If you find yourself in a situation where Windows keeps automatically adding EN-US keyboard layout, you should know that you’re not the only one affected.
This issue seems to happen in all the cases after installing the Windows 10 v1803 update.
Even though this seems like a surface issue, the way you use your computer can be drastically changed when encountering this error.
You end up having to change the keyboard layout constantly, just to see it changed automatically again. Beyond this, if the automatic changing process happens while you type, your text changes entirely.
In today’s fix article we will explore the best methods to try and fix this issue. Please follow the steps presented here carefully.
What to do if Windows keeps adding EN-US keyboard layout
1. Disable the Automatic Keyboard layout change option
- Press Win+X keys -> select Settings.
- Select Language -> click on Advanced keyboard settings.
- Under the section Switching input methods -> uncheck the box next to the option Let me use a different input method for each app window.
- Check to see if this method solves your problem. If it doesn’t please follow the next one.
2. Add and remove the automatic keyboard layout
This seems to make the automatic process not appear so often, and it allows you to work on your PC for a while.
Note: It is worth knowing that this method is only a temporary workaround to this issue. Until Microsoft will release the specific fix for this issue, it should help relatively.
3. Override Microsoft automatic language settings in PowerShell
- Press Win+X keys on your keyboard -> select PowerShell (Admin).
- Inside the PowerShell window -> run the following script:
Set-WinCultureFromLanguageListOptOut -OptOut 1 Set-WinUILanguageOverride -Language en-US Set-WinDefaultInputMethodOverride -InputTip "0426:00040426" Set-Culture lv-LV
- This should change the way Windows 10 automatically changes the keyboard layout.
Note: You can run this script inside PowerShell (Admin) whenever the error happens. This script will allow you to work on your PC normally. To use it constantly, just run the script before you have work to do on your Windows 10 PC.
4. Use Registry Editor to modify values
- Press Win+R keys on your keyboard -> type Regedit -> press Enter.
- Inside the Registry Editor -> navigate to:
- Right-click the right panel -> choose New -> DWORD Value.
- Set the name IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout -> double-click it.
- Set Value data to ‘1’ (doesn’t matter if its Hexadecimal or Decimal)
In today’s article, we explored some of the best ways to deal with the issue caused by Windows automatically adding EN-US keyboard layout.
Please feel free to let us know if this helped you solve the issue mentioned above. You can do so by using the comment section below.
- 5 of the best cross-platform keyboards you can buy today
- Microsoft to launch new keyboards with dedicated Office key
- Keyboard types numbers instead of letters [FIX THIS]