Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error in Windows 10 [COMPLETE GUIDE]
Windows 10 might be a new operating system, but it still has some of the old bugs. One of these old bugs was present in Windows 8 and it has managed to find its way to Windows 10 as well.
If you’re having atibtmon.exe runtime error in Windows 10 keep reading to see if these solutions work for you.
As for its power-saving features, this application does it by dimming the brightness of your laptop display.
Many users have reported that they are getting Runtime Error that says that atibtmon.exe has requested Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way, and according to users this issue happens when they disconnect their AC power cord.
This isn’t a huge problem, but it’s certainly annoying, so let’s see how can we fix this issue.
How can I fix Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error in Windows 10?
Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error can be an annoying problem, and many users reported it on their PC. Speaking of Atibtmon.exe, users reported the following issues:
- Atibtmon.exe runtime error Toshiba – This error can appear on almost any device, and many Toshiba owners reported it. To see how to fix this problem, we advise you to try some of our solutions.
- Vari Bright Windows 10 – Many users claim that this problem is related to Vari Bright feature in Catalyst Control Center. However, you can fix the problem simply by disabling this feature.
- Runtime error atibtmon.exe AMD – This error is related to your AMD graphics card, and in order to fix it, it’s advised to install an older graphics card driver.
- Atibtmon.exe runtime error on startup – In some cases, this error can appear as soon as Windows 10 starts. However, you can fix the problem by disabling startup applications and services.
- Atibtmon.exe application error – This is just a variation of the original error, and you should be able to fix it by using the same solutions.
- Atibtmon.exe stopped working – If you get a message saying that Atibtmon.exe stopped working, the problem might be your power settings. To fix the problem, change your power settings and check if that helps.
Solution 1 – Disable Vari-Bright in Catalyst Control Center
To fix this issue you need to do the following:
- Open Catalyst Control Center.
- Go to Power > PowerPlay.
- Uncheck the Enable Vari-Bright(tm).
- Click Apply and this issue should be fixed.
Solution 2 – Rename / delete atibtmon.exe
If you don’t have Catalyst Control Center, we strongly advise you to install it before trying this solution. Try this solution only if can’t install Catalyst Control Center for some reason, or if the previous solution doesn’t work.
To do this you’ll need to find atibtmon.exe. This file is located in your Windows directory, but if it’s not there it’s probably located in WindowsSystem32.
When you find atibtmon.exe, right click it, and choose Rename. Rename it to _atibtmon.exe for example. This will “delete” this file from your system.
Then just restart your computer and this issue should be resolved. Once again, we advise you that you try Solution 1 first because changing system files can have consequences sometimes.
In addition to renaming the Atibtmon.exe, you can also move it to a different directory in order to solve this problem. Keep in mind that sometimes you might have multiple instances of Atibtmon.exe on your PC.
To find all instances of this application, be sure to perform a file search. After doing that, rename all Atibtmon.exe files and check if that solves the problem.
In addition to renaming, you can try moving all Atibtmon.exe files, but renaming is usually faster and better choice.
If you can’t move the file in Windows 10, take a look at this step-by-step guide that will help you solve the issue.
Solution 3 – Get the older version of the display driver
Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error can appear due to problems with your display driver, however, you can fix the problem simply by installing an older AMD driver.
Before you can install the older driver, you need to remove the current one. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your display adapter on the list, right click it and choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device and click on Uninstall.
Once you remove the driver, restart your PC and the default version should be installed automatically.
It’s worth mentioning that you can completely remove your display driver using a Display Driver Uninstaller. This is a freeware tool that will remove your display driver along with all files associated with it.
To learn more about this tool, we advise you to check our article on how to use Display Driver Uninstaller.
Once the default driver is installed, check if the problem still appears. If not, you might want to consider updating the driver to a newer version, but be sure not to install the same version that gave you this problem in the first place.
If you choose not to update your driver manually, you might want to prevent Windows from updating the driver.
Windows 10 updates outdated drivers automatically, and sometimes that can cause various issues to appear, so you need to prevent Windows 10 from updating specific drivers. Follow this handy guide to learn how to do that.
Update your drivers automatically with this tool we recommend
TweakBit’s Driver Updater Tool (approved by Microsoft and Norton) can safely update your drivers automatically and preferentially. This tool will scan your PC and give you a list of outdated drivers.
Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. Here is a quick guide on how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
Solution 4 – Disable Powerplay in Catalyst Control Center
According to users, sometimes Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error can appear due to Powerplay feature in Catalyst Control Center. This feature can come into conflict with your power settings causing this error to appear.
However, you can fix the problem simply by disabling Powerplay in Catalyst Control Center. After disabling this feature, you also have to change your power settings. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter power settings. Now select Power & sleep settings from the list of results.
- Select Additional power settings in the left pane.
- Locate your currently selected power plan and click Change plan settings next to it.
- Now click on Change advanced power settings.
- Locate ATI Graphics Power Settings on the list and expand it.
- Now set both ATI Powerplay Settings to Maximum Performance and save changes.
After doing that, the conflict with Powerplay feature should be completely resolved and you won’t see this error message anymore.
Solution 5 – Remove your laptop battery
According to users, you might be able to circumvent this issue simply by removing your laptop battery. Several users reported that they fixed the problem by removing their laptop battery and connected the laptop directly to the power supply.
Keep in mind that this is just a workaround, but several users reported that it works, so feel free to try it out.
Solution 6 – Disable AMD External Events service
In order to work properly, Windows and other applications require certain services. However, sometimes services can cause Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error to appear on your PC.
Several users reported that AMD External Events service caused this problem, and in order to fix it, you need to disable this service. This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Press Enter or click OK.
- List of services will now appear. Double click the AMD External Events service to open its properties.
- Set the Startup type to Disabled and click the Stop button to stop the service. Now click on Apply and OK to save changes.
After disabling this service, check if the problem still persists.
Solution 7 – Perform a Clean boot
As we already mentioned, third-party applications can interfere with Windows and cause Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error to appear.
Sometimes these applications can automatically start with Windows and cause this error right on startup. However, you can find and remove the problematic application simply by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Now press Enter or click OK.
- Navigate to Services tab and check Hide all Microsoft services. Click the Disable all button to disable the services.
- Navigate to Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- List of startup applications will now appear. Locate the first item on the list, right click it and choose Disable from the menu. Repeat this step for all startup applications on the list.
- Now go back to System Configuration window and click on Apply and OK.
- Restart your PC.
Once your PC restarts, check if the problem still appears. If not, it means that one of the disabled applications or services is causing the issue.
To find out which application is the problem, you need to enable applications one by one or in groups and check if the problem reoccurs. Keep in mind that you need to restart your PC after enabling an application or service in order to apply the changes.
Once you find the problematic application or service, you can keep it disabled, remove it or update it and check if that solves the problem.
If you want to know how to add or remove startup apps on Windows 10, check out this simple guide.
That would be all, I hope these solutions helped you with solving this runtime error. If you have any comments or questions, or you maybe know some other solutions for this problem, reach for our comment section below.
Also, if you have any other problem that is related to Windows 10, you can search for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
If you’re having runtime issues with Microsoft Visual C in Windows 10, here’s how to fix that or in case your issues are related to RuntimeBroker.exe Error in Windows 10, we have a fix for that, as well.
- How to fix NVidia driver error code 37 for good
- FIX: NVidia driver error code 3 on Windows 10
- Fix: Screen Resolution Changed after Nvidia Driver Update in Windows 8/10
- No sound after installing NVIDIA Graphics Drivers [Fix]
- Primary display’s adapter doesn’t support NVIDIA 3D vision [FIX]
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]