Windows 10 is here, and despite being a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8, it still has its share of issues.
Brightness option not working in Windows 10
Being able to adjust your brightness from your PC can be quite useful, but many users reported that this option isn’t available on Windows 10.
Speaking of brightness option issues, here are some problems that users reported:
- Brightness option unavailable Windows 10, grayed out Windows 10 – Many users reported that brightness option isn’t available on Windows 10. If that’s the case, update your graphics card drivers and check if that helps.
- Missing brightness slider Windows 10 – Being able to control your brightness using a slider can be quite useful, but many users claim that this feature isn’t available. If that’s the case, remove Teamviewer and similar software from your PC and check if that solves the issue.
- Laptop brightness not working – Sometimes you might have issues with laptop brightness on your laptop. To enable this feature, be sure that your power settings are properly configured.
- Screen brightness option not showing up, disappeared – If this option isn’t available, you can always adjust brightness using your driver software or by downloading a special third-party application.
- Can’t adjust brightness Windows 8, 7 – If you can’t adjust brightness on Windows 8 or 7, feel free to try some of our solutions. Most of our solutions are fully compatible with older versions of Windows, so feel free to try them.
Solution 1 – Update your display adapter driver
According to users, this issue can occur if your display adapter driver is out of date. To fix the problem, it’s advised that you update your driver to the latest version and check if that helps.
To do that, first you need to find out the model of your graphics card. Next, you need to visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver for your model.
Once you install the driver, the issue should be completely resolved.
Updating your graphics card drivers is relatively simple, but if you want to update your graphics card drivers along with other drivers that might need updating automatically, we suggest that you use TweakBit Driver Updater software.
Solution 2 – Uninstall monitor driver and install the default one
If brightness option isn’t available on your Windows 10 PC, the issue might be your monitor driver. Sometimes there is an issue with your driver, and that can lead to this and other problems.
However, you can fix the problem simply by uninstalling your monitor driver. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Choose Device Manager from the list.
- Go to Monitors section and expand it.
- Find your monitor driver, right-click it and choose Uninstall.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
- Your monitor driver is uninstalled, so now you need to click Scan for hardware changes icon.
- This will install the default monitor driver and your brightness settings should work now.
After installing the default monitor driver, check if the problem is still there. This issue can also occur if your monitor driver is disabled. To check if that’s the case, do the following:
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to Monitors section and expand it.
- If your monitor is disabled, right-click it and choose Enable from the menu.
After enabling your monitor, the issue should be resolved and you’ll be able to adjust your brightness once again.
We also recommend this third-party tool (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Solution 3 – Check your graphics’ card software
Many users reported that brightness option isn’t available on their PC, and this can be a problem for some users. However, you can change the brightness option from your graphics card driver software.
Applications such as Catalyst Control Center and Nvidia Control Panel allow you to change various options related to your graphics card. Among these options is the ability to adjust your screen brightness.
All graphics cards come with a driver software, so if you can’t find brightness option on your PC, check your graphics card driver software and adjust the screen brightness from there.
Solution 4 – Try third-party applications
If you don’t have brightness option available, you might be able to change your brightness by using a third-party application.
There are many applications that allow you to adjust hue, saturation and brightness, so be sure to do a quick search and try one of these apps.
Solution 5 – Remove Teamviewer
Although Teamviewer can be a useful application, some users reported that it caused issues with the brightness option. If you can’t adjust the brightness on your screen, be sure to uninstall Teamviewer and check if that solves your problem.
There are several ways to do that, but the best one is to use uninstaller software such as IOBit Uninstaller.
In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is a special application that will completely remove the problematic application along with all of its files and registry entries.
By using uninstaller software, you’ll ensure that there aren’t any leftover files that can cause the issue to reappear in the future.
Several users claim that the problem was caused by Teamviewer monitor driver.
To fix the problem, it’s advised to delete this driver. You can do that right from Teamviewer by following these steps:
- Start Teamviewer.
- Go to Extras > Options > Advanced. Now click on Show advanced options.
- In Advanced network settings section click the Uninstall button next to the Install monitor driver option.
Now follow the instructions on the screen to remove the driver. Once the driver is removed, the issue should be resolved entirely.
Solution 6 – Change your power settings
According to users, if brightness option is missing on your PC, the issue might be your power settings. To fix the problem, you need to make a few changes to your power plan settings.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter power settings. Now choose Power & sleep settings from the list of results.
- Click Additional power settings in the right pane.
- Power Options window will now appear. Locate your currently selected play and click Change plan settings.
- Now click Change advanced power settings.
- Locate and enable the following options: Display brightness, Dimmed display brightness, and Enable adaptive brightness.
After enabling these options, save changes and you should be able to adjust your screen brightness again without any issues.
Solution 7 – Install a Generic PnP Monitor driver
According to users, this issue can occur if you don’t have a Generic PnP Monitor driver installed. However, you can easily fix this problem by installing this driver.
This is a default driver, and you can install it by doing the following:
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand Monitors section, and right-click your monitor. Choose Update driver from the menu.
- Choose Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Now select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Select Generic PnP Monitor from the list and click Next.
Once you install the driver, the issue should be resolved and brightness settings will start working again.
Solution 8 – Use your keyboard or monitor buttons to adjust the brightness
If brightness option isn’t available, you might be able to fix the problem by manually changing your brightness. Most laptops have a keyboard shortcut that allows you to easily adjust your screen brightness.
To see which shortcut adjusts your brightness, we advise you to check your laptop manual.
If you’re a desktop user, you should know that you can adjust the brightness right on your monitor.
All monitors have configuration buttons next to the power button and you can easily adjust your screen settings, such as hue, brightness, and contrast from there.
Solution 9 – Install the latest updates
If brightness option isn’t available on your PC, it’s possible that you don’t have the latest system updates.
Usually Windows 10 downloads the necessary updates automatically, but sometimes you might miss an update or two. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Now click Check for updates button.
If any updates are available, Windows will download them automatically and install them as soon as you restart your PC. Once everything is up to date, check if the issue is still there.
That’s it, if you have any other Windows 10-related problems, you can look for the solutions in our Windows 10 Fix section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Read Also: How to Fix Printing Problems in Windows 10