- If the Windows 10 brightness slider is missing, you may be stuck with an improper level.
- The reason for this problem might be a problematic driver or the TeamViewer app.
- A solution for the missing brightness option is to update your drivers using a dedicated tool.
- Checking the settings in your graphics card software might also help you fix this problem.
One more annoying issue that users have reported is that the brightness option not being available on Windows 10, but fortunately for everyone, we might have a solution.
Being able to adjust your brightness from your PC can be quite useful, but many users reported that this option isn’t available on Windows 10.
Speaking of brightness option issues, here are some problems that users reported:
- Brightness option unavailable Windows 10, grayed out Windows 10 – Many users reported that brightness option isn’t available on Windows 10. If that’s the case, update your graphics card drivers and check if that helps.
- Missing brightness slider Windows 10 – Being able to control your brightness using a slider can be quite useful, but many users claim that this feature isn’t available. If that’s the case, remove TeamViewer and similar software from your PC and check if that solves the issue.
- Laptop brightness not working – Sometimes you might have issues with laptop brightness on your laptop. To enable this feature, be sure that your power settings are properly configured.
- Screen brightness option not showing up, disappeared – If this option isn’t available, you can always adjust brightness using your driver software or by downloading a special third-party application.
- Can’t adjust brightness Windows 8, 7 – If you can’t adjust brightness on Windows 8 or 7, feel free to try some of our solutions. Most of our solutions are fully compatible with older versions of Windows, so feel free to try them.
How can I fix Windows 10 brightness control keys?
1. Uninstall the monitor driver and install the default one
1.1 Uninstall the monitor driver
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Choose Device Manager from the list.
- Go to the Monitors section and expand it.
- Find your monitor driver, right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
- Your monitor driver is uninstalled, so now you need to click Scan for hardware changes icon.
- This will install the default monitor driver and your brightness settings should work now.
If the brightness option isn’t available on your Windows 10 PC, the issue might be your monitor driver. Sometimes there is an issue with your driver, and that can lead to this and other problems.
However, you can fix the problem simply by uninstalling your monitor driver. To do that, just follow the steps above.
1.2 Check if the monitor driver is disabled
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to Monitors section and expand it.
- If your monitor is disabled, right-click it and choose Enable from the menu.
After installing the default monitor driver, check if the problem is still there. This issue can also occur if your monitor driver is disabled. To check if that’s the case, perform the steps above.
You can also visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver for your model. After enabling your monitor, the issue should be resolved.
2. Check your graphics card software
Many users reported that the brightness option isn’t available on their PC, and this can be a problem for some users. However, you can change the brightness option from your graphics card driver software.
Applications such as Catalyst Control Center and Nvidia Control Panel allow you to change various options related to your graphics card. Among these options is the ability to adjust your screen brightness.
All graphics cards come with driver software, so if you can’t find brightness option on your PC, check your graphics card driver software and adjust the screen brightness from there.
3. Update your display adapter driver
- Open the Device Manager
- Click on Display adapters
- Right-click on your graphics card and select Properties
- Go to the website of the manufacturer of your driver’s company
- Download the right driver
- Go back to Display adapters
- Select Update driver
- Click on Browse my computer for driver software
- Install the driver and restart your PC
Follow these steps to manually update your display adapter drivers. This process is relatively simple, but if you want to update all your drivers and fix any related problems automatically, we recommend using a professional third-party tool.
To make sure that everything goes smoothly and avoid any kind of GPU driver errors, be sure to use a complete driver update assistant that will solve your problems with just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The application will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep you GPU on the peaks of their performance without worrying about its drivers.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
4. Try third-party applications
If you don’t have a brightness option available, you might be able to change your brightness by using a third-party application.
There are many applications that allow you to adjust hue, saturation, and brightness, so be sure to do a quick search and try one of these apps.
5. Remove TeamViewer
Although TeamViewer can be a useful application, some users reported that it caused issues with the brightness option.
If you can’t adjust the brightness on your screen, be sure to uninstall TeamViewer and check if that solves your problem.
In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is a special application that will completely remove the problematic application along with all of its files and registry entries.
By using uninstaller software, you’ll ensure that there aren’t any leftover files that can cause the issue to reappear in the future.
6. Change your power settings
- Press Windows Key + S and enter power settings. Now choose Power & sleep settings from the list of results.
- Click Additional power settings in the right pane.
- Power Options window will now appear. Locate your currently selected play and click Change plan settings.
- Now click Change advanced power settings.
- Locate and enable the following options: Display brightness, Dimmed display brightness, and Enable adaptive brightness.
According to users, if brightness option is missing on your PC, the issue might be your power settings. To fix the problem, you need to make a few changes to your power plan settings.
After enabling these options, save changes and you should be able to adjust your screen brightness again without any issues.
If the Windows 10 power plans are missing, we have an excellent step-by-step guide to solve the issue in no time.
7. Install a Generic PnP monitor driver
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand Monitors section, and right-click your monitor. Choose Update driver from the menu.
- Choose Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Now select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Select Generic PnP Monitor from the list and click Next.
According to users, this issue can occur if you don’t have a Generic PnP Monitor driver installed. However, you can easily fix this problem by installing this driver.
Once you install the driver, the issue should be resolved and brightness settings will start working again.
8. Use your keyboard or monitor buttons to adjust the brightness
If the brightness option isn’t available, you might be able to fix the problem by manually changing your brightness. Most laptops have a keyboard shortcut that allows you to easily adjust your screen brightness.
To see which shortcut adjusts your brightness, we advise you to check your laptop manual. If you’re a desktop user, you should know that you can adjust the brightness right on your monitor.
All monitors have configuration buttons next to the power button and you can easily adjust your screen settings, such as hue, brightness, and contrast from there.
9. Install the latest updates
- Click on the Start button and select the Settings app (the cogwheel).
- Go to the Update & Security section.
- Now click on the Check for updates button.
If the brightness option isn’t available on your PC, it’s possible that you don’t have the latest system updates.
Usually, Windows 10 downloads the necessary updates automatically, but sometimes you might miss an update or two. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
If any updates are available, Windows will download them automatically and install them as soon as you restart your PC. Once everything is up to date, check if the issue is still there.
This concludes our guide, and we hope that you managed to fix the brightness problem on Windows 10. If you have any other suggestions, leave them in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The brightness slider is not displayed on some desktop PC with an external monitor. There are physical buttons on the monitor that help you adjust the brightness. If not, use our guide to fix the missing brightness slider.
The shortcuts keys vary depending on your device. Most keyboard layouts have dedicated two sets of keys for this: F1 and F2, F11 and F12, or the up and down keys. You can also try buying a new monitor and set the brightness directly from its own menu.
This option is available only if your device supports it. If it does, follow the solution to change power settings to enable the option.