- If the trivial procedure of copy-paste is not working in Windows 10, you won't be able to perform any text-related work.
- There are numerous reasons, including a problem with your antivirus software.
- Ensure your Windows 10 system is up to date because it might also trigger this problem.
- You can also think about getting dedicated clipboard software for these particular needs.
Is copy and paste not working on Windows 10? Here is all you should know.
Copying and pasting are some of the most basic functions in Windows, and it has been present since the first versions of Windows.
It is a cool magic trick that takes a written element and places it in an entirely different location on your computer.
However, for some strange reason, users report that they can’t perform copy and paste functions in Windows 10.
If you encounter any of the above, we compiled a list of confirmed solutions you can try. Make sure to follow the steps in the same order we are presenting them.
Why is my copy and paste suddenly not working?
➡️ One cause for this problem can be your antivirus software. To fix the problem, try disabling the antivirus or uninstalling it.
➡️ Additionally, if the files are damaged or there are specific viruses on the clipboard, the copy-paste feature cannot work.
➡️ Furthermore, content gets transferred to the device’s clipboard when you choose the copy option. So, when the clipboard has a lot of cluttered data or high-resolution photographs, the copy-and-paste feature may sometimes not operate.
➡️ Another common issue reported by users is not being able to copy-paste in Excel, Microsoft Word, Autocad, Remote Desktop, or VMware. And usually, the problem is caused by a specific plugin or feature.
➡️ The solutions we will discuss are helpful if copy and paste are not working in Windows 10 or 11, or after an update, or even if copy and paste are not working in specific tools like the Remote Desktop, the CDM, Excel, or devices like Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc.
How can I fix copy-paste issues on Windows 10?
- Why is my copy and paste suddenly not working?
- How can I fix copy-paste issues on Windows 10?
- 1. Make sure that your Windows 10 is up to date
- 2. Run Check Disk utility
- 3. Disable Send to Bluetooth add-on
- 4. Run the rdpclip.exe
- 5. Disable Virtualbox's shared clipboard feature
- 6. Remove Skype Click to Call
- 7. Create a new user account
- 8. Check your antivirus
- 9. Use a third-party application
- How do I fix copy and paste isn't working in Windows 11?
- Restart the File Explorer
- How to use the clipboard app to copy-paste efficiently
- Why does Ctrl C not work sometimes?
✅ Restart your PC. Many users reported that copy-paste feature isn’t working on their PC, and according to them, the easiest way to fix it is to restart your PC.
1. Make sure that your Windows 10 is up to date
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to the Update & Security section.
- Click the Check for updates button.
Windows will now check for available updates and download them in the background.
Once the updates are downloaded, they’ll be installed as soon as you restart your PC. If copy paste not working correctly, and it pastes the previous copied text, try updating the OS and check if that helps resolve things.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, following some simple steps will help you fix it.
2. Run Check Disk utility
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, enter the command below and hit Enter.
- Follow the prompts if required to complete the process.
In case you were wondering how to fix copy and paste in Windows 10 without restarting, the Check Disk scan should do the trick. It will start and repair any corrupted files. Once your files are repaired, check if the problem is still there.
Restoro is a complex Windows system repair solution that scans your PC for various issues and fixes all critical system files and registry errors, as well as the damage left by viruses (not antivirus software). With a few clicks, the program frees up space on your disk and restores all compromised Windows settings to their default value.
Here’s how you can perform this action:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch Restoro.
- Wait for it to find any system stability issues and possible malware infections.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
Restoro’s technology replaces severely damaged Windows system files with clean, up-to-date ones from its secure online database. You can allow it to perform this action without harming your user data.
This the ideal all-in-one tool for fixing Windows errors, PC crashes, or registry issues. It can boost the performance of your device and make it more secure within a few minutes.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Disable Send to Bluetooth add-on
This add-on is usually associated with Microsoft Office, which you can find in Office software under the Add-on section.
You might have to check every installed Office tool for Send to Bluetooth add-on and disable it from each device.
After disabling this add-on from every Office tool, copy/paste functions should typically work.
4. Run the rdpclip.exe
In order to stop this issue of copy-paste not working on Windows 10 you can use the rdclip.exe file as shown in the next steps.
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to start Task Manager.
2. When Task Manager opens, go to the Details tab.
3. Search for rdpclicp.exe in the Name column, right-click it, and choose End task from the context menu.
4. Now visit the path below, and run the rdpclip.exe file.
This program should start automatically, but if it doesn’t, you’ll have to run it manually every time you start Windows 10. In addition, you can add it to the Startup folder, and it will start every time your Windows 10 starts.
5. Disable Virtualbox’s shared clipboard feature
- Launch your Virtualbox manager.
- Click on the VirtualBox machine settings icon.
- Click on the Advanced tab, and set the Shared Clipboard menu to Disabled.
Virtualbox is an excellent tool if you want to run a virtual machine on your PC, but certain features can cause issues with your system.
According to users, the Shared clipboard feature in Virtualbox can cause issues with copy-paste feature on your PC. To fix the problem, you need to disable this feature in Virtualbox.
Once you disable this feature, the issue should be resolved entirely, and you’ll be able to use copy-paste function once again.
6. Remove Skype Click to Call
- Navigate to your Skype installation folder.
- Search for either unins000.exe or uninstall.exe.
- Double-click on either of them and follow the uninstall wizard.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
According to users, copy-paste feature might not work on your PC due to Skype Click to Call plugin. This simple browser plugin allows you to make Skype calls by clicking a phone number in your browser.
To fix the problem, it’s advised to remove this add-on from your browser. Once the add-on is terminated, you should be able to copy and paste without any issues.
7. Create a new user account
- Press Windows Key +I to open the Settings app.
- Now navigate to the Accounts section.
- On the menu on the left select Family & other people, and in the right pane, select Add someone else to this PC.
- Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now you’ll be asked to create a new Microsoft account. Choose the Add a user without a Microsoft account option.
- Enter the desired user name and click Next.
Once you create a new account, switch to it and check if the problem appears. If the issue doesn’t appear, you’ll need to move your files to the new account and start using the new account instead of your old one.
8. Check your antivirus
Using good antivirus software is essential, but sometimes your antivirus can cause this problem to appear. This could be the case when OneNote for Windows 10 copy paste is not working.
Therefore, we recommend disabling certain antivirus features to fix the issue and check if that helps. If that doesn’t work, you need to disable your antivirus entirely.
You should note that the method of disabling an antivirus will depend on the tool you use.
Several users reported that they managed to fix the problem with copy-paste by uninstalling their antivirus software. However, if removing the antivirus solves the problem, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
9. Use a third-party application
You can edit any text fragment, set whichever color you prefer, or set a hotkey for a quick paste of the piece. And if security is on your mind, you can assign a display name for any fragment that hides its contents with this tool.
This tool also has the History feature, allowing you to reflect on what you have copied. In addition, it lets you edit text fragments, select, and set a hotkey on them, plus the possibility to have color codes.
Another great option is the ability to drag and drop directly from the clipboard dashboard into the text you are currently editing. This excellent tool comes with a price, but it also has a free version that you can find in the link below.
If you’re looking for an advanced clipboard manager, we strongly recommend Comfort Clipboard Pro. It stores 500 items by default, lets you increase or decrease this limit, and remembers your clipboard history for as long as you want.
How do I fix copy and paste isn’t working in Windows 11?
Restart the File Explorer
- Press the hotkeys Windows + X.
- Select Task Manager.
- Right-click Windows Explorer in the processes tab and select Restart.
Issues with the clipboard are relatively common, and many have reported that copy and paste in Remote Desktop isn’t working. Unfortunately, this affects all versions of Windows, and your settings usually cause it.
Some users might use alternative solutions, but sadly, it has been reported that drag and drop isn’t working in Windows 11 for a handful of users.
It’s also possible that the clipboard history isn’t working in Windows, thus causing these issues. Luckily, there are ways to fix this problem.
It would help if you adopted any of the solutions discussed in this article. Since Windows 10 and 11 are very similar, similar solutions will work except for rare UI differences. So, you now know what to do if copy and paste are not working in Windows 11.
How to use the clipboard app to copy-paste efficiently
The clipboard app in Windows 10 is one of the most efficient tools for the office environment. When you use the copy command or shortcut Ctrl + C on a file, text, link, etc., you copy it to a clipboard.
From there, you can paste it using the command or the Ctrl + V shortcut.
But what if we told you that you could easily access all the recently copied files?
Just use the Windows key + V shortcut, and you will find a window similar to the one shown below.
This way, you can access up to 25 of the latest copy actions you performed earlier. And for each, you can click the three horizontal dots and select the Delete, Pin, and Clear commands.
So if you have more paragraphs, links, images, or whatever you need to copy individually from a location, you can do that and then go to the destination and paste them separately from the list.
Why does Ctrl C not work sometimes?
The CTRL + C shortcut may not work for several reasons. First, users have been associating it with issues with the keyboard’s hardware, the keyboard driver, and the corruption of some critical system files.
Once you rule out issues with your hardware, where a replacement may be the option, you may want to try a file repair or a driver update.
If copy and pasting are not working on your Windows 10 device, you should adopt any recommended solutions. However, not all solutions will work for you, so you should skip around until something works.
Not being able to perform a copy-paste function can be a big problem, but we hope you solve this issue with one of our solutions.
If you have other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.