Can’t use copy paste In Windows 10 [COMPLETE GUIDE]
Copying and pasting are one of the most basic functions in Windows and it has been present since the first versions of Windows, but for some strange reason, users report that they can’t perform copy and paste functions in Windows 10.
How can I fix copy paste issues on Windows 10?
Copy paste is one of the most basic functions on any PC, but many users reported that this function doesn’t work on Windows 10. Speaking of copy paste issues, here are some common problems reported by users:
- Copy paste not working Windows 10 – One cause for this problem can be your antivirus software. To fix the problem, try disabling antivirus features, or disable your antivirus entirely.
- Copy paste problems in Excel, Microsoft Word, Autocad, Windows 7, Remote Desktop, Vmware – This issue was reported in various applications, and it’s usually caused by a certain plugin or feature. Simply find the problematic plugin/feature, disable it and the issue will be resolved.
- Copy paste error the parameter is incorrect – This problem can occur due to certain glitches with your system. To fix the problem, be sure to install the latest updates and check if that solves your issue.
- Copy paste doesn’t work – If copy paste doesn’t work on your PC, the problem might be the rdpclicp.exe process. To fix the problem, simply end the process and restart it.
Solution 1 – Make sure that your Windows 10 is up to date
According to users, sometimes this issue can occur due to certain glitches on your system. To fix the problem, it’s advised to keep your system up to date.
Microsoft is constantly fixing issues with new updates, and for the most part, Windows 10 installs the missing updates automatically. However, you can also check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to Update & Security section.
- Click Check for updates button.
Windows will now check for available updates and download them in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, they’ll be installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your system is up to date, the problem with copy paste should be resolved.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
Solution 2 – Check your antivirus
Using a good antivirus software is important, but sometimes your antivirus can cause this problem to appear. To fix the issue, it’s advised to disable certain antivirus features and check if that helps. In case that doesn’t work, you need to disable your antivirus entirely.
If you’re using any antivirus solution and you want to completely remove it from your PC, be sure to check out this amazing list with the best uninstaller software you can use right now.
Several users reported that they managed to fix the problem with copy paste by uninstalling their antivirus software. If removing the antivirus solves the problem, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want an antivirus that won’t interfere with your system while offering great protection, you should consider switching to BullGuard.
– Download now Bullguard (60% discount)
Solution 3 – Run Check Disk utility
Sometimes your system files can get corrupted and that can cause copy paste function to stop working. To fix the problem, it’s advised that you perform a chkdsk scan. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Go to This PC and right-click your hard drive.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
- When Properties Window opens, go to the Tools tab and click the Check button under the Error checking section to check your hard drive for errors.
In addition, you can run Check Disk from Command Prompt.
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) from the list.
- When Command Prompt opens, enter chkdsk X: /f command. Be sure to replace the X with the letter of your system drive. By default, that should be C.
- You’ll be asked to schedule a scan. Press Y to do that.
Once you restart your PC, a chkdsk scan will start and repair any corrupted files. Once your files are repaired, check if the problem is still there.
If you’re having trouble accessing Command Prompt as an admin, then you better take a closer look on this guide.
Solution 4 – Disable Send to Bluetooth add-on
This addon is usually associated with Microsoft Office and you can find in Office software under the Add-on section. You might have to check every installed Office tool for Send to Bluetooth add-on and disable it from each tool.
After disabling this add-on from every Office tool copy/paste functions should be working normally.
Solution 5 – Use Comfort Clipboard
Comfort Clipboard is an amazing clipboard manager and will allow you to perform copy-pasting tasks for text editing in no time.
This tool also has the ‘History’ feature which allow you to have a look back on what you have copied. It lets you edit text fragment, select it and set a hotkey on it, plus the possibility to have colour codes.
Another great option is the ability to drag and drop directly from the clipboard dashboard into the text you are currently editing. This amazing tool comes with a price, but it also has a free version that you can find in the link below.
- Get now Comfort Clipboard from the official website
Solution 6 – Check Webroot Security Software settings
Some users claim that the main cause of this issue is Webroot Security Software and in order to fix this problem you need to do the following:
- Open Webroot as administrator.
- Click the Identity Protection properties or gear icon.
- Go to the Application Protection tab.
- Now you should see the list of applications.
- Now find the applications in which copy/paste doesn’t work and set it to Allow.
In addition, you can just disable the Protect Clipboard Data option and everything should start working again.
Solution 7 – Run the rdpclip.exe
According to users, this problem can be caused by the rdpclicp.exe process. To fix the problem with copy paste, you’ll need to end this process and restart it. This is quite simple, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to start Task Manager.
- When Task Manager opens, go to the Details tab and right-click rdpclicp.exe process. Choose End task from the menu.
Now you need to go to the Windows/system32 folder. There you should find rdpclip.exe. Just run it and see if the issue is resolved.
This program should start automatically but if it doesn’t you’ll have to run it manually every time you start Windows 10. In addition, you can add it to the Startup folder and it will start every time your Windows 10 starts.
If you want to know how to add or remove startup apps on Windows 10, check out this simple guide. Also, if your Windows cant end task in Task Manager, check out this step-by-step guide that will help you solve the issue with ease.
Solution 8 – Restart your PC
Many users reported that copy paste feature isn’t working on their PC, and according to them, the easiest way to fix it is to restart your PC. If you don’t want to restart your PC, you can also log off from your user account, wait for a few seconds and then log back in again.
Keep in mind that this is just a workaround, so you’ll have to repeat it whenever the issue occurs.
Solution 9 – Disable Virtualbox’s shared clipboard feature
Virtualbox is a great tool if you want to run a virtual machine on your PC, but certain features can cause issues with your system.
According to users, the Shared clipboard feature in Virtualbox can cause issues with copy paste feature on your PC, and in order to fix the problem, you need to disable this feature in Virtualbox.
Once you disable this feature, the issue should be completely resolved and you’ll be able to use copy paste function once again.
Solution 10 – Check Advanced System Care settings
If copy paste function isn’t working on your PC, it’s possible that a third-party application is interfering with it. Users reported problems with Advanced System Care software, and according to them, the Clean Clipboard feature was responsible for this problem.
To fix the issue, it’s advised to disable this feature in Advanced System Care software. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Open Advanced System Care Software.
- Go to Speed Up RAM > Smart RAM > Deep Clean.
- Now click Settings and uncheck Clean Clipboard feature.
After disabling this feature, the copy paste functions will start working again.
Solution 11 – Remove Skype Click to Call
According to users, copy paste feature might not work on your PC due to Skype Click to Call plugin. This is a simple browser plugin that allows you to make Skype calls by clicking a phone number in your browser.
To fix the problem, it’s advised to remove this addon from your browser. Once the addon is removed, you should be able to copy and paste without any issues.
Solution 12 – Create a new user account
Sometimes problems with copy paste can occur if there’s an issue with your user account. Your account can get corrupted, and that can lead to this and many other problems.
However, you can fix the problem simply by creating a new user account. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to the Accounts section.
- In the left pane, go to Family & other people. In the right pane, select Add someone else to this PC.
- Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Now enter the desired user name and click Next.
Once you create a new account, switch to it and check if the problem appears. If the issue doesn’t appear, you’ll need to move your personal files to the new account and start using the new account instead of your old one.
Not being able to perform a copy paste function can be a big problem, but we hope that you managed to solve this issue with one of our solutions.
As always, if you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll surely take a look.
- How to Copy a dialog Box text in Windows 10, 8.1
- Browser will not allow copy and paste [QUICK & EASY FIXES]
- SOLVED: Why is my computer copying files so slow?
- How to Copy a dialog Box text in Windows 10, 8.1
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
A number of Norton Antivirus users have reported seeing the Your computer has a fix in progress message pop up. This can become extremely annoying in […]
Last week, Microsoft announced that the Super Duper Graphics Pack will not come to Minecraft due to performance issues. Minecraft to get Ray Tracing on […]