- It comes a time when you might run into some issues with your webcam. You are not alone in this.
- If error code 0xa00f4271 pops up when you try to utilize the webcam, checking the camera’s settings or editing the registry are essential steps to solve it.
- When this annoying issue is fixed for good, our System errors section is waiting for you. You’ll definitely find the help you’re looking for.
- Similar problems are likely to occur from time to time. Just keep in mind that we have a great Windows 10 errors hub in that regard.
The error code 0xa00f4271 issue first arose after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update in 2016.
Then users posted on Microsoft forums about a Something Went Wrong… Error Code 0xA00F4271(0x80070491) error that popped up when they tried to utilize their webcams.
Built-in webcams don’t work when that error message pops up. Here are a few error code 0xa00f4271 resolutions for users who still need to fix the issue.
How can I fix error code 0xa00f4271 mediacapture failed event?
1. Open the Microsoft Store App Troubleshooter
The Microsoft Store App troubleshooter might provide a resolution when the error code 0xa00f4271 pertains more specifically to UWP apps that utilize the webcam. Users can open the WSA troubleshooter as follows.
- Click Type here to search to open Cortana.
- Enter troubleshoot in the search box, and click Troubleshoot settings.
- Next, select the Microsoft Store App troubleshooter within the Settings window that opens.
- Then click the Run this troubleshooter button.
- Thereafter, users can go through the resolutions provided by the troubleshooter.
- Restart Windows after applying a suggested resolution.
2. Check the Camera’s settings
Make sure that the Let apps use my camera hardware option is toggled on. Apps can’t utilize the webcam with that setting is off. Users can check the camera’s settings as follows.
- Open Cortana and enter camera in its search box.
- Select Camera privacy settings in search results to open the window shown directly below.
- If that window states Camera access to this device is off, users will need to click Change and toggle the Camera access for this device option on.
- Then turn the Allow apps to access your camera option on.
- Check that the webcam apps you’re trying to utilize the camera with are also enabled under the Choose which apps can access your camera subheading.
- Restart Windows after adjusting camera settings.
3. Edit the registry
Some users have said that they’ve fixed error code 0xa00f4271 by editing the registry. So, this registry edit might be among the best fixes. Edit the registry as follows.
- First, open Run with the Windows key + R hotkey. Then users can open the Registry Editor by entering regedt in Run and clicking OK.
- Open this registry path in the Registry Editor:
- Double-click Windows Media Foundation on the left of the Registry Editor.
- Right-click a space on the right of the Registry Editor’s window and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Enter EnableFrameServerMode as the title for the new DWORD.
- Then double-click EnableFrameServerMode to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Input 0 in the Data value text box, and click the OK button.
- Restart Windows after editing the registry.
4. Update the webcam’s driver
Error code 0xa00f4271 can arise due to an antiquated webcam driver. The Driver Booster 6 software will tell users if they need to update their webcam drivers or not.
Users can add DB 6 to Windows by clicking the Free Download button on the software’s page. Driver Booster 6 will scan the system when users run the software.
Click the Update All button if DB 6’s scan results include the webcam.
5. Update Windows 10
Some users have confirmed that patch updates fixed error code 0xa00f4271. Other users have fixed the issue by updating Windows 10 to the latest build version.
Users can update to the latest build version by downloading and launching the Update Assistant and selecting Update now. Follow the guidelines below to check for new patch updates.
- Open the Cortana search box with the Windows key + Q keyboard shortcut.
- Enter update to search for the update settings.
- Then click Check for updates to open the Settings window as shown directly below.
- Press the Check for updates button.
- Windows will then automatically install available updates. Restart Windows if it installs new updates.
One of the above fixes might fix error code 0xa00f4271 so that users can record with their webcams again. Users have found other fixes for error code 0xa00f4271 are certainly welcome to share them below.
FAQ: Learn more about Windows 10 errors
- How do I scan my computer for errors?
To scan your computer for errors, keep in mind that Windows 10 includes a Command Prompt utility named Windows Resource Protection. This will scan and fix system files in no time.
- Why is my computer running into problems?
Your computer is constantly running into problems due to memory issues, corrupted system files, and virus infections. Check out the best antivirus software tools you can use to prevent that.
- How do I check the health of my computer?
To check the health of your computer, use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + R and the Run window will open. Input perfmon and the Performance Monitor will open.
The report will give you the answers you’re looking for.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.