- Your webcam is an important peripheral, especially if you make video calls frequently.
- Unfortunately, some users have reported a Something went wrong camera error.
- To learn more about how to fix frequent webcam issues, visit our Webcam Fix Hub.
- If other hardware is giving you headaches, then check our Peripherals Fix section.
This can be an annoying issue, so today we’ll show you how to fix it.
What do I do if Windows 10 camera is not working?
- Manually update camera/webcam driver
- Check your antivirus software
- Change privacy options for camera
- Run Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
- Check permissions for the Pictures folder
- Update Camera app
1. Manually update camera/webcam Driver
- Right-click on Start and select Device Manager.
- If not found, type Device Manager in Cortana/Search and hit Enter.
- In the Device Manager, expand the Cameras section.
- Right-click on Integrated Camera Webcam and select Update Driver.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Make sure the Show compatible hardware option is checked.
- Select USB Video Device and click Next.
- Windows will install the driver and show a success message.
- Exit Device Manager and reboot your system.
- After the system restarts, the camera should start working normally.
An outdated or corrupted driver can also cause Something went wrong camera error.
Alternatively, you can use third-party tools such as DriverFix to automatically update all your drivers with just a couple of clicks.
DriverFix is extremely lightweight, mainly because the driver libraries that power it are online rather than archived and built-in.
This means that as long as you have a stable Internet connection and DriverFix is running, you will always have the latest drivers available at hand whenever they become available.
Just download and install it, launch it, and let it scan your entire PC for old, broken, and missing drivers.
After confirming which ones you want to be fixed, it is only a matter of waiting for them to be downloaded and installed, and you can finish the entire process with a PC restart.
DriverFixYour camera app will no longer have problems as long as the drivers are running accordingly, so use DriverFix to update or repair them!
2. Check your Antivirus Software
If you are using Kaspersky Internet Security, follow these steps. Other users may have to refer their official website for a proper guide.
- Launch Kaspersky Internet Security.
- Click on Settings icon and Protection.
- Scroll down and select the Webcam Access option.
- Uncheck Block access to a webcam for all applications.
- Close Kaspersky and launch the Camera app. Windows Camera app should work fine now.
If that doesn’t help, perhaps this would be a good time to consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
Bitdefender offers great protection, and it won’t interfere with your system or camera, so be sure to try it out.
It delivers top-notch protective features that have earned it the number one spot on many Best antivirus lists, but the main centerpiece is how flexible and non-restrictive it feels.
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus
Bitdefender comes with built-in webcam protection, so no only will it not interfere with it, it will secure it!
3. Change privacy options for camera
- Click Start and go to Settings.
- Click on Privacy.
- Scroll down and click on Camera.
- Make sure Allow apps to access your camera is turned On.
- If the option is greyed out, click on the Change button and Turn On.
- Open Camera app and check if the error is resolved.
If you’re getting Something went wrong camera error, perhaps the issue is related to your privacy options.
4. Run Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
Windows Store apps have their own troubleshooter that might help you fix the Something went wrong camera error.
- In the Cortana/Search bar, type Troubleshoot and click on Troubleshoot Settings.
- Under Troubleshoot, scroll down and click on Windows Store Apps.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter.
- The Troubleshooter will scan the system and look for any problems.
- If it suggests you to Reset an App to fix the problem, click on Open Apps and features.
- Click on the Camera app and select Advanced Options.
- Under the Camera app section, scroll down and click on the Reset button.
After the reset is complete, launch the Camera app and check if the error is resolved.
5. Check Permissions for the Pictures Folder
- Open File Explorer.
- Right-click on Pictures folder and select Properties.
- Open the Security tab.
- Click on Edit button.
- Check if your username is shown under Group or user names.
- If it does, under Permission for Username, check if Full control option is checked under Allow.
- Also, check the Deny column to see if read or write permission is denied for the user.
- Click Apply and OK to save the change.
- If your username is not listed under Group or use names, click on Add.
- Type your user name and click on Check names.
- Click OK to add the user.
- Click on newly added username and under Permissions for username, check if Full Control is enabled.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Close the Properties window and open Camera App.
6. Update Camera App
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Type Camera in the search and hit Enter.
- Open Windows Camera from the search result.
- You should see an Update button if the new version of the Camera app is available.
- Download and install the app.
Something went wrong camera error can be problematic, but we hope that you managed to fix it using one of our solutions.