Not being able to access your own Facebook profile is such a bummer especially when you don’t know exactly what’s causing the actual problem.
Well, the situation that best describes this feeling is when you try to connect to Facebook but you receive the ‘Something went wrong’ generic error message with no further explanations.
When experiencing the already outlined system bug, you don’t need to panic. There’s nothing wrong with your Facebook account and yes, your personal info is still secured.
However, there might be something wrong with the Facebook app itself as the ‘Something went wrong’ generic message usually describes a software related issue that occurred within the Facebook platform.
So, in most situations the issue should be automatically addressed if you have enough patience.
If you think that something from your Windows 10 system caused the problem, you can choose to follow the troubleshooting methods that are explained below.
How can I fix the annoying ‘Something went wrong’ error on Facebook:
- Reload the web page.
- Disable add-ons and extensions from your browser.
- Clear your browser cache and history.
- Reset your Facebook account.
1. Reload the webpage
As mentioned, you should have patience as the problem might be temporarily. However, you can also try to reload the webpage by bypassing the cache – press the CTRL+SHIFT+R keyboard hotkeys.
2. Disable add-ons and extensions from your browser
Usually, Facebook problems can occur if there is a conflict between the Facebook client and certain add-ons or extensions recently added on your browser.
Thus, for addressing the Facebook issue you need to disable these features and tools that are running in the background. Here is how you can do that on several web browser clients:
- First, open Chrome.
- Click the Menu icon (the three horizontal dots).
- Go to More Tools and click on Extensions.
- Click remove near the extension that you want to eliminate.
- That’s it.
- Run Firefox and access Menu (the three horizontal lines).
- From Options click on Add-ons.
- From the Add-ons Manager tab pick Extensions or Appearance.
- Select the add-on that you want to remove.
- Click on the Disable button.
- Restart your browser in the end.
- Launch IE on your system.
- Click on the Tools icon.
- Go to Manage add-ons.
- Under Show select All add-ons.
- Select the add-on you want to eliminate and click on Disable.
- Close and then re-open your browser.
3. Clear your browser cache and history
You can fix the Facebook ‘something went wrong’ error message by clearing your history and cache. Again, here is how you can do it on several browsers:
- Run the Chrome app. From its main window click on the Menu icon.
- Go to More Tools and just access Clear Browsing Data.
- Select the Cookies, other site data entry along with everything else you want to remove and perform the wipe.
- Restart your browser in the end.
- Open Firefox on your device and click on the Tools button.
- Access Options and under Privacy & Security choose History.
- From there just follow on-screen prompts and choose what to remove from your browser.
- Restart the software when you are done.
- Run Internet Explorer and click on the Tools icon.
- Under Safety go to Delete browsing history.
- Choose what you want to wipe.
- Click Delete when you are ready.
- Of course, restart your browser in the end.
Alternatively, you can use a browser that clears browsing data on exit.
4. Reset your Facebook account
- On your browser go to this page.
- Fill up the log in form by using your own credentials.
- From the bottom of that page access your Account.
- Now, change your password.
- When done, open a new web browser page.
- And navigate towards fb.com.
- Log in by using the newly created password.
- And follow ‘make my account secure’ on-screen info.
- Now, open a new page once more and go to fb.com.
- You should be able to access your Facebook account now.
As mentioned already, the Facebook ‘something went wrong’ problem is usually an internal Facebook bug which gets fixed automatically. Otherwise, one of the troubleshooting solutions from above should help you manually address this issue.
Apparently, the “something went wrong” error is a quite popular one and it can happen across multiple environments. Here’s just a couple that we wrote about:
- Fix: Microsoft Teams “Something went wrong”
- Microsoft Band “network error something went wrong”
- Sorry, something went wrong” error in Outlook 2013
- Fix: Xbox One “Something went wrong” error
Hope that one of our solutions helped you deal with the Something went wrong error.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Facebook Gameroom won’t install, open or download: Here’s how to fix it
- 6tin app update for Windows Phone fixes Facebook login issue
- 7 best YouTube SEO software for ranking your videos