- If the Windows Hello fingerprint scanning is not working, this can create a security risk.
- The main cause behind the Windows fingerprint scanning not working is a problematic driver.
- A possible solution for the Windows Hello fingerprint not available issue is to update your drivers.
- You can also try to use another fingerprint reader to secure your device.
Windows 10 brought improved security and one of these features that improve the security of your computer is fingerprint scan.
A fingerprint scan sounds amazing if you have confidential data on your computer and you don’t want anybody to access it. However, it seems that fingerprint scanning isn’t working for some users on Windows 10.
The message states that We couldn’t find a fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows Hello fingerprint so let’s see how we can resolve this issue.
Not being able to use your fingerprint can be a security risk, and in this article, we’re going to cover the following issues:
- Windows 10 fingerprint blocked — The fingerprint reader is completely unresponsive, no matter what actions you may take
- Windows 10 fingerprint reader not working HP, Dell, Lenovo – According to users, a fingerprint reader isn’t working on isn’t related only to these brands and it can appear on almost any PC
- Windows Hello fingerprint setup not working – It can be a problem since you won’t be able to use fingerprint login at all
- Fingerprint scanner, the reader doesn’t work with Windows 10 – This issue affects both built-in and USB fingerprint readers
- Windows 10 fingerprint without a PIN, Hello – It’s impossible to use fingerprint scanning without setting up a PIN or using Windows Hello
- Windows 10 fingerprint greyed out – The fingerprint option can become grayed out, can be fixed by reinstalling your fingerprint reader drivers
- Windows Hello isn’t available on this device – This message usually occurs if you don’t have a fingerprint reader or if it doesn’t work properly
- Windows 10 fingerprint login not working, not available, missing – If the fingerprint feature isn’t working or if it’s missing, be sure to try some of our solutions
- Windows 10 fingerprint stopped working – Fingerprint scanning stopped working suddenly, can be fixed by resetting fingerprints
- Windows 10 fingerprint and PIN not working – Can’t use fingerprint or PIN login, can be fixed by recreating your PIN and fingerprint
What can I do if fingerprint doesn’t work in Windows 10?
- Update your drivers
- Roll back drivers/use default drivers
- Use a different fingerprint reader
- Switch to local account / create a new account
- Prevent your PC from turning off USB devices
- Update HP Support Assistant
- Uninstall the fingerprint software
- Remove fingerprint scanning and update the fingerprint driver
- Remove and recreate your PIN
- Update your BIOS
1. Update your drivers
Often, it’s better to use the latest driver optimized for Windows 10, so make sure that you visit your fingerprint scanner manufacturer and check for the latest Windows 10 drivers.
If there are no Windows 10 drivers you can just download the latest drivers instead.
It’s also worth mentioning that in certain cases older drivers can actually work better than the latest ones, so you might try some older drivers as well.
Updating drivers manually is risky, so we recommend you to download and install a dedicated software to do it automatically.
Thus, you will keep your system away from damage by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
DriverFixKeep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
2. Rollback drivers/use default drivers
2.1 Rollback the fingerprint scanner driver
- Right-click the Start button and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your fingerprint driver and double-click it to open its properties.
- Click the Roll Back Driver button.
Note: If you’re sure that the problem is the latest driver and you manage to roll it back, to avoid future problems, check out this step-by step guide that will help you block Windows 10 from auto-updating certain drivers.
2.2 Use the default driver from Windows
- Open Device Manager.
- Find your fingerprint scanner driver.
- Right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall.
3. Use a different fingerprint reader
- 360° readability with anti-spoofing protection
- FIDO and U2F certifications
- Compatible with Dashlane, LastPass (Premium), Keeper (Premium), and Roboform, for websites
- It's very small, easy to lose
If the issue persists, you can try to use a different fingerprint reader. In rare cases, your fingerprint reader might not be compatible with your computer’s hardware configuration or operating system.
Therefore, before buying a new fingerprint reader, make sure that the device is compatible with your machine.
We recommend getting the Kensington VeriMark USB Fingerprint Key, a tiny fingerprint reader that’s fully compatible with Windows.
4. Switch to local account/ create a new account
- Open Settings and click on the Account icon.
- In your account click Sign in with a local account instead.
- Fill out your password and click on Next.
- Set your username, the password for your local account, and click on Next.
- Click on Sign out and finish.
Note: You can try creating a new account and setting up the fingerprint scanner for it. After that just delete the new account and switch back to the old one.
If Windows won’t let you add a new account, this expert guide will help you fix the problem.
5. Prevent your PC from turning off USB devices
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to Universal Serial Bus controllers section and double click on USB Root Hub.
- Navigate to the Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click on OK to save the changes.
- Repeat these steps for all USB Root Hub devices that you have on your PC.
6. Update HP Support Assistant
If the fingerprint reader doesn’t work in Windows 10, the problem might be the HP Support Assistant application. If you have this application on your PC, be sure to update it to the latest version.
You can do that simply by running the application and choosing the update option or you can download the latest version from HP’s website.
After the application is updated, restart your PC and the fingerprint reader will start working again.
Keep in mind that this solution works only if you’re using an HP device. If you have a PC from another brand and you don’t have HP Support Assistant on your PC, then this solution doesn’t apply to you.
7. Uninstall the fingerprint software
- Open the Settings app using the Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Click on the Apps section.
- Locate the fingerprint reader software on the list, select it, and click on the Uninstall button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstallation process.
Note: After removing the fingerprint software, you need to remove the fingerprint driver from your PC like shown in Solution 2.
Next, restart your PC. Windows 10 will install the default driver and the issue should be resolved.
8. Remove fingerprint scanning and update the fingerprint driver
8.1 Remove the fingerprint scanning option
- Open the Settings app and click on the Accounts section.
- Select Sign-in options from the menu on the left.
- In the right pane go to Windows Hello section and click on the Remove button under Fingerprint.
- Remove the fingerprint driver as explained in Solution 2.
- Download and install the latest driver for your fingerprint reader like shown in Solution 1.
8.2 Register new fingerprints
- Open the Settings app, click on Accounts, then the Sign-in options.
- Make sure that you have a PIN set up. If not, set up your PIN now.
- Go to the Windows Hello section in the right pane and click on the Set up button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to set up your fingerprint.
- Go to the Windows Hello section and click on Add another button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to add another fingerprint.
Note: Still not working? Here’s another comprehensive guide that could help you solve the problem once and for all.
9. Remove and recreate your PIN
9.1 Remove the PIN
- Open the Settings app and go to Accounts, then click on the Sign-in options.
- In the PIN section click the Remove button.
- Click the Remove button again to confirm.
- Enter your Microsoft Account password and click on OK.
9.2 Add your PIN again
- Go to the Sign-in options and click on the Add button in the PIN section.
- Enter your password and click on the Sign in button.
- Enter the desired PIN in two input fields and click on OK.
Note: If the PIN isn’t working on Windows 10, here’s an excellent guide that will help you fix that problem right away.
10. Update your BIOS
If the fingerprint doesn’t work in Windows 10, the problem might be your BIOS. If you device has a built-in fingerprint reader, you might be able to fix this problem by updating your BIOS.
The BIOS update is an advanced procedure, and if you’re not careful you can cause irreversible damage to your PC. We wrote a short guide on how to flash your BIOS, so be sure to check it out.
In addition, many users are recommending updating your chipset drivers as well so make sure you try that too. You can update your drivers using our first two solutions from this guide.
We hope that you managed to fix the fingerprint scanning for your Windows 10 device by using our solutions. For more suggestions or questions, reach for the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will need to change the sign-in option in the Accounts settings. Learn what to do if Windows doesn’t recognize your fingerprint.
There can be many reasons for that, from a dirty scanner to a problematic driver. Here’s how to fix the fingerprint reader in Windows 10.
You can do that by using the Update driver feature in Device Manager. You can also use one of the best driver update software from our list.