- The fingerprint is the best way to protect your device, but it seems like the fingerprint sensor is sometimes not working in Windows 11.
- Usually, you can fix this problem by installing the missing system updates.
- Reinstalling and updating your biometrics drivers can also help with this type of error.
Fingerprint sensors are used to grant or deny access to computer systems. They can be easily enabled on plenty of devices that meet the minimum requirements listed by Microsoft developers.
However, some users already claimed that the fingerprint sensor is not working in Windows 11. This can be a problem as it leaves your PC open to unauthorized access.
In addition, you’ll have to use your password or PIN to sign in instead, and since we understand how irritating this can be, we’re going to offer you support on this matter.
Today we’ll show you a couple of options that will definitely help. Fortunately, they are not different from what you know about the Windows 10 fingerprint not working issue.
Why isn’t the Windows 11 fingerprint sensor working?
1. Liquids or dirt
Before assuming that your fingerprint sensor is not working due to a hardware or software error, you should first check it and clean it as nicely as possible.
Any trace of liquid or dirt may affect its normal usage. In addition, for long-term resistance, always make sure that your hands are not wet or dirty.
2. Temporary bugs
Some hardware or software components might run into trouble due to random and temporary bugs, which are usually caused by viruses.
It is inevitable to sometimes experience it, but there are solutions to fix this problem in a few seconds.
To prevent these annoying issues, you should try out today these best antivirus options for Windows 11.
3. Poor updates
Another reason why your Windows 11 fingerprint sensor might not work is related to poor hardware and software updates.
The most important ones are drivers updates on your OS, and we can admit it without any doubt.
To have all your components running in normal terms, you’ll need to constantly keep them up to date, either manually or automatically.
Also, you should check out some useful information about how long Windows 11 updates take to install.
Make sure you read this article completely to discover the best solutions to make your fingerprint recognition work.
Is a built-in scanner better than a USB fingerprint scanner?
Built-in scanners are more convenient to use, so if you’re buying a new device, make sure to go with a laptop with a fingerprint scanner.
If you’re on a desktop PC then a USB scanner is the only option for you. In case you’re a laptop user, we don’t recommend using external scanners due to convenience reasons.
If you forget your scanner, you might not be able to log in without your password, so keep that in mind.
How can I make the fingerprint sensor work in Windows 11?
1. Update the related drivers
- Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager.
- Expand Biometric devices, then right-click on the needed driver, and select Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for drivers.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
We also recommend using DriverFix if you like the idea of having a dedicated tool for automatic scans of missing or outdated drivers.
2. Uninstall and reinstall the related drivers
3. Add another fingerprint
- Click the Start button in the Taskbar.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Accounts, then select the Sign-in options.
- Expand Fingerprint recognition, look at the Set up another finger section, then click on the Add a finger button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Try to use your device with the new added fingerprint.
4. Check for Windows updates
What are the main Windows 11 fingerprint sensor advantages?
Even if the fingerprint sensor might sometimes crash on Windows 11, it offers some important benefits that you should definitely consider:
- Improved security – As you probably know, your personal data must always be secured. Fortunately, the fingerprint sensor is a control solution that constantly protects them from cybercriminals.
- Faster access – Unlike typing a password, Windows 11’s fingerprint sensor can lock and unlock your device in the most efortless way.
- Better accuracy – Our presented feature is one of the most sophisticated biometric modalities. That’s why it will provide almost 100% of accuracy during your authentication.
- Greater convenience – You should never use the same password for different accounts or devices, but trying not to forget all of them can also be pretty annoying. Thus, fingerprint sensors increase your apps and PC’s security level, without bothering you with numerous credentials.
- Increased affordability – Windows 11’s fingerprint sensor also comes free, integreted with your hardware and software systems.
For more other information about fingerprint requirements, you should explore a complete guide created by Microsoft.
How can I remove fingerprint from Windows 11?
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to Accounts and select Sign-in options.
- Expand the Fingerprint recgonition section.
- Click on Remove.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
So there you are! You have a list with four of the quickest methods to consider if the fingerprint sensor is not working in Windows 11.
To keep your data always protected, take a look at the best security & privacy features in Windows 11.
In addition, do not hesitate to tell us your opinion regarding this subject by leaving a comment in the section below.